Genomes and Genes
R M Hoffman
Affiliation: AntiCancer Inc
Publications112 found, 100 shown here
- Hasegawa K, Suetsugu A, Nakamura M, Matsumoto T, Aoki H, Kunisada T, et al. Imaging Nuclear-Cytoplasmic Dynamics in Primary and Metastatic Colon Cancer in Nude Mice. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:2113-7 pubmed..Our results demonstrate a similar heterogeneity of nuclear-cytoplasmic dynamics within primary tumors and metastases, which may be an important factor in the stochastic nature of metastasis. ..
- Igarashi K, Yamamoto N, Hayashi K, Takeuchi A, Kimura H, Miwa S, et al. Non-toxic Efficacy of the Combination of Caffeine and Valproic Acid on Human Osteosarcoma Cells In Vitro and in Orthotopic Nude-mouse Models. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:4477-82 pubmed
- Matsumoto T, Suetsugu A, Hasegawa K, Nakamura M, Shibata Y, Aoki H, et al. A Mouse Model of Fluorescent Protein-expressing Disseminated Peritoneal Lymphoma for Fluorescence-guided Surgery. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:4483-7 pubmed..The present report indicates the feasibility of FGS of peritoneally-disseminated cancer. ..
- Igarashi K, Kawaguchi K, Kiyuna T, Murakami T, Yamamoto N, Hayashi K, et al. Antimetastatic Efficacy of the Combination of Caffeine and Valproic Acid on an Orthotopic Human Osteosarcoma Cell Line Model in Nude Mice. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:1005-1011 pubmed..0005). Efficacy of the combination of caffeine and valproic acid was observed in vitro and in spontaneous and experimental lung-metastasis mouse models of osteosarcoma. ..
- Kiyuna T, Tome Y, Uehara F, Murakami T, Zhang Y, Zhao M, et al. Tumor-targeting Salmonella typhimurium A1-R Inhibits Osteosarcoma Angiogenesis in the In Vivo Gelfoam® Assay Visualized by Color-coded Imaging. Anticancer Res. 2018;38:159-164 pubmed..typhimurium A1-R treatment by day 28. The present results indicate S. typhimurium A1-R has potential for anti-angiogenic targeted therapy of osteosarcoma. ..
- Igarashi K, Kawaguchi K, Kiyuna T, Miyake K, Murakami T, Yamamoto N, et al. Effective Metabolic Targeting of Human Osteosarcoma Cells In Vitro and in Orthotopic Nude-mouse Models with Recombinant Methioninase. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:4807-4812 pubmed..Future studies will investigate the efficacy of rMETase on patient-derived orthotopic xenograft (PDOX) models of osteosarcoma as a bridge to testing rMETase in the clinic. ..
- Higuchi T, Oshiro H, Zhang Z, Miyake K, Sugisawa N, Katsuya Y, et al. Osimertinib Regresses an EGFR-Mutant Cisplatinum- Resistant Lung Adenocarcinoma Growing in the Brain in Nude Mice. Transl Oncol. 2019;12:640-645 pubmed publisher..AZD9291 treatment caused tumor regression in contrast to CDDP + PEM which had only a slight inhibitory effect. These results suggest that AZD9291 is a promising clinical option for NSCLC patients with brain metastasis. ..
- Higuchi T, Miyake K, Sugisawa N, Oshiro H, Zhang Z, Razmjooei S, et al. The combination of olaratumab with gemcitabine and docetaxel arrests a chemotherapy-resistant undifferentiated soft-tissue sarcoma in a patient-derived orthotopic xenograft mouse model. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2019;: pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrates the power of the PDOX model to identify the novel effective treatment strategy of the combination of OLA, GEM and DOC for drug-resistant soft-tissue sarcoma. ..
- Hoffman R, Stern P. Dietary Methionine Restriction-Based Cancer Chemotherapy in Rodents. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1866:83-94 pubmed publisher..These results were the basis of subsequent studies that used methioninase to effect MR for effective cancer therapy. ..
- Hoffman R, Yano S, Igarashi K. Methioninase Cell-Cycle Trap Cancer Chemotherapy. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1866:133-148 pubmed publisher..Salmonella typhimurium A1-R and rMETase pre-treatment thereby overcame CDDP resistance. These results demonstrate the effectiveness of the new chemotherapy paradigm of "decoy, trap, and kill" chemotherapy. ..
- Hoffman R, Kokkinakis D, Frenkel E. Total Methionine Restriction Treatment of Cancer. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1866:163-171 pubmed publisher..The total MR treatment regimens also increased the efficacy of temozolomide (TMZ) against the SWB77 xenograft when administered at the end of the MET regimen. ..
- Hoffman R, Machover D. Recombinant Methioninase as a DNA Demethylation Agent. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1866:279-284 pubmed publisher..DNA hypomethylation effected by rMETase was of similar extent to that effected by treatment of the cells with the DNA methyltransferase inhibitor 5-azacytidine. ..
- Hoffman R. Clinical Studies of Methionine-Restricted Diets for Cancer Patients. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1866:95-105 pubmed publisher..Among the four patients evaluable for response, three experienced a partial response and one patient had disease stabilization. The results of the above-described clinical trials indicate the clinical potential of MR. ..
- Hoffman R, Miki K, Al Refaie W, Xu M, Tan Y. Methioninase Gene Therapy. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1866:173-197 pubmed publisher..The combination of Ad-METase/SeMET and doxorubicin (DOX) delayed the growth of the H460 human lung cancer, growing subcutaneously in nude mice. These results demonstrate the potential of methionine restriction (MR) for cancer treatment. ..
- Hoffman R, Han Q, Kawaguchi K, Li S, Tan Y. Afterword: Oral Methioninase-Answer to Cancer and Fountain of Youth?. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1866:311-322 pubmed publisher..o-rMETase may also have potential as an antiaging agent for healthy people, since MR has been shown to extend the life span of a variety of different organisms. ..
- Hoffman R, Tan Y, Li S, Han Q, Yagi S, Takakura T, et al. Development of Recombinant Methioninase for Cancer Treatment. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1866:107-131 pubmed publisher..3 μM. PLP increased the half-life of MEGC-PEG-rMETase holoenzyme in a dose-dependent manner. The extended time of MET depletion by MEGC-PEG-rMETase was due to the maintenance of active MEGC-PEG-rMETase holoenzyme by infused PLP. ..
- Hoffman R. Is the Hoffman Effect for Methionine Overuse Analogous to the Warburg Effect for Glucose Overuse in Cancer?. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1866:273-278 pubmed publisher..sup>11C]-MET is superior to [18C]-fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) for PET imaging, suggesting that MET overuse in cancer ("Hoffman effect") is greater than glucose overuse in cancer ("Warburg effect"). ..
- Hoffman R, Murakami T, Kawaguchi K, Igarashi K, Tan Y, Li S, et al. High Efficacy of Recombinant Methioninase on Patient-Derived Orthotopic Xenograft (PDOX) Mouse Models of Cancer. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1866:149-161 pubmed publisher..Combination therapy of TEM and rMETase was significantly more efficacious than either monotherapy. The results reviewed in this chapter demonstrate the clinical potential of rMETase. ..
- Hoffman R, Yang Z, Tan Y, Han Q, Li S, Yagi S. Safety and Toxicity of Recombinant Methioninase and Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) Recombinant Methioninase in Primates. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1866:211-229 pubmed publisher..Anti-MEGC-PEG-rMETase antibodies were 100- to 1000-fold less than antibodies elicited by naked rMETase, thereby suggesting clinical potential of MEGC-PEG-rMETase as a broad anticancer agent. ..
- Hoffman R, Tan Y, Li S, Han Q, Zavala J. Pilot Phase I Clinical Trial of Methioninase on High-Stage Cancer Patients: Rapid Depletion of Circulating Methionine. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1866:231-242 pubmed publisher..v. infusion of rMETase is safe and effectively depletes its biochemical target of serum MET, suggesting potential efficacy in future clinical trials. ..
- Hoffman R. Methionine Restriction and Life-Span Extension. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1866:263-266 pubmed publisher..The most effective way to restrict methionine in the body, using orally-delivered methioninase, is also explored. ..
- Hoffman R, Hoshiya Y, Guo W. Efficacy of Methionine-Restricted Diets on Cancers In Vivo. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1866:75-81 pubmed publisher..MET depletion resulted in the extended survival of the tumor-bearing mice. These experiments are a prelude to further clinical studies of the efficacy of MR diets on cancer patients. ..
- Miyake K, Kiyuna T, Kawaguchi K, Higuchi T, Oshiro H, Zhang Z, et al. Regorafenib regressed a doxorubicin-resistant Ewing's sarcoma in a patient-derived orthotopic xenograft (PDOX) nude mouse model. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2019;83:809-815 pubmed publisher..229). REG regressed the tumor size (P < 0.001 and P < 0.001, relative to control and DOX, respectively). Our findings suggest that REG has clinical potential for ES patients whose tumors respond to REG in a PDOX model. ..
- Yano S, Hoffman R. Real-Time Determination of the Cell-Cycle Position of Individual Cells within Live Tumors Using FUCCI Cell-Cycle Imaging. Cells. 2018;7: pubmed publisher..Understanding cell-cycle dynamics within tumors should provide important insights into novel treatment strategies. ..
- Hoffman R. Fluorescent Proteins as Sensors for Cellular Behavior in Mice. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 2018;160:29-45 pubmed publisher..Any in vivo process can be imaged using fluorescent proteins, allowing molecular biology to advance from in vitro studies to studying molecular processes in the living animal. ..
- Higuchi T, Kawaguchi K, Miyake K, Oshiro H, Zhang Z, Razmjooei S, et al. The combination of gemcitabine and nab-paclitaxel as a novel effective treatment strategy for undifferentiated soft-tissue sarcoma in a patient-derived orthotopic xenograft (PDOX) nude-mouse model. Biomed Pharmacother. 2019;111:835-840 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that combination of GEM and nab-PTX could be a promising therapeutic strategy for USTS. ..
- Kawaguchi K, Higuchi T, Li S, Han Q, Tan Y, Igarashi K, et al. Combination therapy of tumor-targeting Salmonella typhimurium A1-R and oral recombinant methioninase regresses a BRAF-V600E-negative melanoma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;503:3086-3092 pubmed publisher..typhimurium A1-R + rMETase: p < 0.0001). The most effective was the combination of S. typhimurium A1-R + o-rMETase which regressed this melanoma PDOX, thereby indicating a new paradigm for treatment of metastatic melanoma. ..
- Igarashi K, Kawaguchi K, Kiyuna T, Miyake K, Miyaki M, Yamamoto N, et al. Metabolic targeting with recombinant methioninase combined with palbociclib regresses a doxorubicin-resistant dedifferentiated liposarcoma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;506:912-917 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study indicate the powerful combination of rMETase and PAL should be tested clinically against DDLPS in the near future. ..
- Miyake K, Kiyuna T, Miyake M, Kawaguchi K, Zhang Z, Wangsiricharoen S, et al. Gemcitabine combined with docetaxel precisely regressed a recurrent leiomyosarcoma peritoneal metastasis in a patient-derived orthotopic xenograft (PDOX) model. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2019;509:1041-1046 pubmed publisher..001), only GEM combined with DOC regressed the tumor significantly (P < 0.001), suggesting GEM combined with DOC has clinical potential for this LMS patient. ..
- Obara K, Tohgi N, Shirai K, Mii S, Hamada Y, Arakawa N, et al. Hair-Follicle-Associated Pluripotent (HAP) Stem Cells Encapsulated on Polyvinylidene Fluoride Membranes (PFM) Promote Functional Recovery from Spinal Cord Injury. Stem Cell Rev. 2019;15:59-66 pubmed publisher..Collectively our results suggest that HAP stem cells could be a better source compared to induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS) or embryonic stem (ES) cells for regenerative medicine, specifically for spinal cord repair. ..
- Miyake K, Kiyuna T, Miyake M, Zhao M, Wangsiricharoen S, Kawaguchi K, et al. Tumor-targeting Salmonella typhimurium A1-R overcomes partial carboplatinum-resistance of a cancer of unknown primary (CUP). Tissue Cell. 2018;54:144-149 pubmed publisher..004 and P = 0.001, respectively). The present report demonstrates that S. typhimurium A1-R can increase the efficacy of a standard drug used for CUP in a PDOX model. ..
- Hoffman R, Amoh Y. Beating Heart Cells from Hair-Follicle-Associated Pluripotent (HAP) Stem Cells. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1842:241-254 pubmed publisher..This method is appropriate for future use with human hair follicles to produce hHAP stem cells in sufficient quantities for future heart, nerve, and spinal cord regeneration in the clinic. ..
- Kiyuna T, Tome Y, Murakami T, Miyake K, Igarashi K, Kawaguchi K, et al. A combination of irinotecan/cisplatinum and irinotecan/temozolomide or tumor-targeting Salmonella typhimurium A1-R arrest doxorubicin- and temozolomide-resistant myxofibrosarcoma in a PDOX mouse model. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;505:733-739 pubmed publisher..typhimurium A1-R arrested the MFS PDOX tumor. There was no significant body weight loss in any group. The present study suggests that the combination of IRN with either TEM or CDDP, and S. typhimurium have clinical potential for MFS. ..
- Kimura H, Tome Y, Momiyama M, Hayashi K, Tsuchiya H, Bouvet M, et al. Imaging the inhibition by anti-?1 integrin antibody of lung seeding of single osteosarcoma cells in live mice. Int J Cancer. 2012;131:2027-33 pubmed publisher..AIIB2 treatment also increased survival of mice with orthotopically growing 143B-RFP. ..
- Suetsugu A, Hiroshima Y, Matsumoto T, Hasagawa K, Nakamura M, Shimizu M, et al. Recruitment of Cancer-Associated Fibroblasts and Blood Vessels by Orthotopic Liver Tumors Imaged in Red Fluorescent Protein (RFP) Transgenic Nude Mice. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:5821-5 pubmed
- Kiyuna T, Tome Y, Murakami T, Kawaguchi K, Igarashi K, Miyake K, et al. Trabectedin arrests a doxorubicin-resistant PDGFRA-activated liposarcoma patient-derived orthotopic xenograft (PDOX) nude mouse model. BMC Cancer. 2018;18:840 pubmed publisher..This is especially crucial for PLPS because effective first-line therapy is harder to establish if it is not individualized. ..
- Hoffman R. Nestin-driven green fluorescent protein as an imaging marker for nascent blood vessels in mouse models of cancer. Methods Mol Biol. 2011;689:183-204 pubmed publisher..These fluorescent models can be used to study the early events of angiogenesis and to quantitatively determine efficacy of antiangiogenesis compounds. ..
- Hoffman R, Mii S, Duong J, Amoh Y. Nerve Growth and Interaction in Gelfoam® Histoculture: A Nervous System Organoid. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1760:163-186 pubmed publisher..HAP stem cell proliferation resulted in elongation of the follicle nerve and interaction with other nerves in 3D Gelfoam® histoculture, including the sciatic nerve, trigeminal nerve, and trigeminal nerve ganglion. ..
- Hoffman R, Yang M. Color-coded fluorescence imaging of tumor-host interactions. Nat Protoc. 2006;1:928-35 pubmed..The 'color-coded' tumor-host models enable imaging and therefore a deeper understanding of the host cells involved and their function in tumor progression. Approximately 4-8 weeks are needed for these procedures. ..
- Kawaguchi K, Igarashi K, Miyake K, Lwin T, Miyake M, Kiyuna T, et al. MEK inhibitor trametinib in combination with gemcitabine regresses a patient-derived orthotopic xenograft (PDOX) pancreatic cancer nude mouse model. Tissue Cell. 2018;52:124-128 pubmed publisher..However, GEM?+?TRA inhibited the PDOX tumor growth significantly greater than TRA alone. These results suggest the clinical potential of the combination of TRA and GEM for pancreatic cancer. ..
- Kawaguchi K, Miyake K, Han Q, Li S, Tan Y, Igarashi K, et al. Oral recombinant methioninase (o-rMETase) is superior to injectable rMETase and overcomes acquired gemcitabine resistance in pancreatic cancer. Cancer Lett. 2018;432:251-259 pubmed publisher..The present study shows that o-rMETase is effective and overcomes acquired GEM resistance in pancreatic cancer and demonstrates the clinical potential of this strategy. ..
- Hoffman R, Yano S. In Vivo-Like Cell-Cycle Phase Distribution of Cancer Cells in Gelfoam® Histoculture Observed in Real Time by FUCCI Imaging. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1760:109-123 pubmed publisher..In 2D culture, cancer cells were much more chemosensitive. These results indicate why the drug response pattern of tumors in Gelfoam® histoculture reflects what is observed in vivo. ..
- Hoffman R. Human Hair Follicle Associated-Pluripotent (hHAP) Stem Cells Differentiate to Cardiac Muscle Cells. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1879:385-392 pubmed publisher..The methods of this chapter are appropriate for use of human hair follicles to produce hHAP stem cells in sufficient quantities for future heart, nerve, and spinal cord regeneration in the clinic. ..
- Suetsugu A, Snyder C, Moriwaki H, Saji S, Bouvet M, Hoffman R. Imaging the Interaction of Pancreatic Cancer and Stellate Cells in the Tumor Microenvironment during Metastasis. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:2545-51 pubmed..Pancreatic cancer cells and stellate stem cells form a very close relationship and accompany each other to distant metastatic sties. Our hypothesis is that pancreatic stellate cells form a niche for metastasis of pancreatic cancer. ..
- Igarashi K, Kawaguchi K, Kiyuna T, Miyake K, Miyake M, Singh A, et al. Tumor-targeting Salmonella typhimurium A1-R is a highly effective general therapeutic for undifferentiated soft tissue sarcoma patient-derived orthotopic xenograft nude-mouse models. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;497:1055-1061 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that S.Â typhimurium A1-R can be a general therapeutic for USTS and possibly sarcoma in general. ..
- Hoffman R. Diagnosis and Pathological Analysis of Patient Cancers by Detection of Proliferating Cells in Gelfoam® Histoculture. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1760:49-60 pubmed publisher..Normal tissues can also proliferate at high rates. Mean growth fraction index (GFI) was highest for patient tumors with the pure subtype of small-cell lung cancer than other types of lung cancer. ..
- Hoffman R. Clinical Usefulness of the Histoculture Drug Response Assay for Prostate Cancer and Benign Prostate Hypertrophy (BPH). Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1760:101-107 pubmed publisher..Genistein decreased the androgen-sensitivity index of BPH and prostate cancer in Gelfoam® histoculture in a dose-dependent manner. ..
- Hoffman R. Tumor-targeting amino acid auxotrophic Salmonella typhimurium. Amino Acids. 2009;37:509-21 pubmed publisher..Exploitation of the tumor-killing capability of Salmonella has great promise for a new paradigm of cancer therapy. ..
- Uehara F, Tome Y, Yano S, Miwa S, Mii S, Hiroshima Y, et al. A color-coded imaging model of the interaction of ?v integrin-GFP expressed in osteosarcoma cells and RFP expressing blood vessels in Gelfoam® vascularized in vivo. Anticancer Res. 2013;33:1361-6 pubmed..The observation of the behavior of ?v integrin-GFP and blood vessels will allow further understanding of the role of ?v integrin in cancer cells. ..
- Hoffman R. Orthotopic mouse models of tumor metastasis expressing fluorescent reporters produce imageable circulating tumor cells. Cancer Microenviron. 2014;7:133-8 pubmed publisher..We also describe a facile method to label patient CTCs ex vivo using a telomerase-expressing GFP-containing adenovirus that will allow the CTC studies described in this review to be translated clinically. ..
- Hiroshima Y, Zhang Y, Zhang N, Uehara F, Maawy A, Murakami T, et al. Patient-derived orthotopic xenograft (PDOX) nude mouse model of soft-tissue sarcoma more closely mimics the patient behavior in contrast to the subcutaneous ectopic model. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:697-701 pubmed..In contrast, the majority of the subcutaneously-implanted tumor comprised round to oval cells. These results indicate that the PDOX recapitulated the histology of the original tumor more than the subcutaneous model. ..
- Zhang Y, Zhang N, Zhao M, Hoffman R. Real-time Non-invasive Spectral Imaging of Orthotopic Red Fluorescent Protein-expressing Lung Tumor Growth in Nude Mice. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:3755-9 pubmed..This imageable nude mouse model using surgical orthotopic implantation of lung cancer will be useful for all types of longitudinal studies. ..
- Hoffman R, Jung P, Kim M, Nam J. Prospective Clinical Correlation of the Histoculture Drug Response Assay for Ovarian Cancer. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1760:73-81 pubmed publisher..The true-positive rate was 88%, the true-negative rate was 86%, the sensitivity was 88%, the specificity was 86%, and the accurate prediction rate was 87% when HDRA results were compared to the response of the treated patients. ..
- Hoffman R. Methionine Dependency Determination of Human Patient Tumors in Gelfoam® Histoculture. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1760:125-131 pubmed publisher..This simple method can be used to screen patient tumors for methionine dependence and then subsequently apply appropriate chemotherapy for these patients to target this cancer-specific metabolic abnormality. ..
- Liu F, Hoffman R. Hair Follicle-Associated Pluripotent (HAP) Stem Cells in Gelfoam® Histoculture for Use in Spinal Cord Repair. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1760:145-162 pubmed publisher..The spinal cord of mice was injured to effect hind-limb paralysis. Twenty-eight days after transplantation with BA or DP HAP stem cells on Gelfoam® to the injured area of the spine, the mice recovered normal locomotion. ..
- Hoffman R, Chishima T. Imaging the Governing Step of Metastasis in Gelfoam® Histoculture. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1760:215-220 pubmed publisher..The ability to support selective organ colonization in Gelfoam® histoculture and visualize tumor progression by GFP fluorescence allows the in vitro study of the governing processes of metastasis. ..
- Yamamoto N, Gupta A, Xu M, Miki K, Tsujimoto Y, Tsuchiya H, et al. Methioninase gene therapy with selenomethionine induces apoptosis in bcl-2-overproducing lung cancer cells. Cancer Gene Ther. 2003;10:445-50 pubmed..rAdMET/SeMET prodrug gene therapy is therefore a promising novel strategy effective against bcl-2 overexpression, which has blocked other gene therapy strategies. ..
- Hoffman R, Yang M. Whole-body imaging with fluorescent proteins. Nat Protoc. 2006;1:1429-38 pubmed..Fluorescent protein-based imaging technology can be used for whole-body imaging of fluorescent cells on essentially all organs. The timeline for these experiments varies from 2 days to 2 months. ..
- Yano S, Miwa S, Kishimoto H, Toneri M, Hiroshima Y, Yamamoto M, et al. Experimental Curative Fluorescence-guided Surgery of Highly Invasive Glioblastoma Multiforme Selectively Labeled With a Killer-reporter Adenovirus. Mol Ther. 2015;23:1182-1188 pubmed publisher..OBP-401-based FGS enabled curative resection of GBM without recurrence for at least 150 days, compared to less than 30 days with BLS. ..
- Suetsugu A, Jiang P, Yang M, Yamamoto N, Moriwaki H, Saji S, et al. The Use of Living Cancer Cells Expressing Green Fluorescent Protein in the Nucleus and Red Fluorescence Protein in the Cytoplasm for Real-time Confocal Imaging of Chromosome and Cytoplasmic Dynamics During Mitosis. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:2553-7 pubmed..The dual color cells will be a useful tool to discover and evaluate novel strategies for killing cancer cells. ..
- Zhang Y, Zhang N, Hoffman R, Zhao M. Surgically-Induced Multi-organ Metastasis in an Orthotopic Syngeneic Imageable Model of 4T1 Murine Breast Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:4641-6 pubmed..The metastatic pattern in the model thus reflected the clinical metastatic pattern of breast cancer and should be of use for discovery and evaluation of novel therapeutics. ..
- Tome Y, Uehara F, Kanaya F, Hoffman R. Comparison of "Dimensionality" of Cancer Cell Culture in Gelfoam® Histoculture and Matrigel. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1760:205-214 pubmed publisher..When the cancer cells were seeded on Gelfoam®, the cells formed 3-dimensional tissue-like structures. These results indicate that Gelfoam® histoculture, unlike Matrigel™ culture, is true 3-dimensional. ..
- Zhang Y, Hiroshima Y, Ma H, Zhang N, Zhao M, Hoffman R. Complementarity of variable-magnification and spectral-separation fluorescence imaging systems for noninvasive detection of metastasis and intravital detection of single cancer cells in mouse models. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:661-7 pubmed
- Yang M, Jiang P, Hoffman R. Early Reporting of Apoptosis by Real-time Imaging of Cancer Cells Labeled with Green Fluorescent Protein in the Nucleus and Red Fluorescent Protein in the Cytoplasm. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:2539-43 pubmed..The dual-color cell real-time imaging assay is a more sensitive and earlier reporter for apoptosis than the DNA fragmentation assay. ..
- Hoffman R. Back to the Future: Are Tumor-Targeting Bacteria the Next-Generation Cancer Therapy?. Methods Mol Biol. 2015;1317:239-60 pubmed publisher..A new concept using Salmonella typhimurium A1-R for cell cycle "decoy" chemotherapy of metastatic cancer is also described. ..
- Hoffman R. Clinical Correlation of the Histoculture Drug Response Assay for Head and Neck Cancer. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1760:83-92 pubmed publisher..64%), CDDP (86% vs. 64%), or both agents (85% vs. 63%). These results demonstrate the clinical usefulness of the HDRA for head and neck cancer. ..
- Hoffman R, Tanino H. Clinical Usefulness of the Histoculture Drug Response Assay for Breast Cancer. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1760:93-100 pubmed publisher..There also was a lack of correlation with breast cancer subtype and drug response in the HDRA, further suggesting the importance of individualized treatment for breast cancer patients afforded by the HDRA. ..
- Hoffman R, Li L, Cao W. Hair-Shaft Growth in Gelfoam® Histoculture of Skin and Isolated Hair Follicles. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1760:133-144 pubmed publisher..Gelfoam® histoculture of skin demonstrated that the hair follicle cells are the most sensitive to doxorubicin which prevented hair growth, thereby mimicking chemotherapy-induced alopecia in Gelfoam® histoculture. ..
- Miwa S, Hoffman R. Imaging DNA Repair After UV Irradiation Damage of Cancer Cells in Gelfoam® Histoculture. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1760:199-203 pubmed publisher..Induction of UV-induced 53BP1-GFP focus formation was limited up to a depth of 40 μm in Gelfoam® histoculture of MiaPaCa-2 cells, indicating this was the depth limit of UVC irradiation. ..
- Uchugonova A, Zhang Y, Salz R, Liu F, Suetsugu A, Zhang L, et al. Imaging the Different Mechanisms of Prostate Cancer Cell-killing by Tumor-targeting Salmonella typhimurium A1-R. Anticancer Res. 2015;35:5225-9 pubmed..Understanding the various mechanisms of cancer-cell killing by S. typhimurium A1-R will be important for its use as a general therapeutic for cancer. ..
- Hoffman R. Future of Bacterial Therapy of Cancer. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1409:177-84 pubmed publisher..This chapter suggests future clinical applications for S. typhimurium A1-R. ..
- Suetsugu A, Matsumoto T, Hasegawa K, Nakamura M, Kunisada T, Shimizu M, et al. Color-coded Live Imaging of Heterokaryon Formation and Nuclear Fusion of Hybridizing Cancer Cells. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:3827-31 pubmed..The ability to image the complex processes following cell fusion using reciprocal color-coded cancer cells will allow greater understanding of the genetic basis of malignancy. ..
- Hoffman R, Bouvet M. Imaging the microenvironment of pancreatic cancer patient-derived orthotopic xenografts (PDOX) growing in transgenic nude mice expressing GFP, RFP, or CFP. Cancer Lett. 2016;380:349-55 pubmed publisher..This model enables powerful color-coded imaging of the interaction of cancer and stromal cells during tumor progression and treatment. ..
- Hoffman R, Zhao M. Methods for Tumor Targeting with Salmonella typhimurium A1-R. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1409:143-64 pubmed publisher..The testing of S. typhimurium A1-R on patient tumors in patient-derived orthotopic xenograft (PDOX) mouse models is also described. The major methodologies described in this chapter should be translatable for clinical studies. ..
- Miwa S, Toneri M, Igarashi K, Yano S, Kimura H, Hayashi K, et al. Real-Time In Vivo Confocal Fluorescence Imaging of Prostate Cancer Bone-Marrow Micrometastasis Development at the Cellular Level in Nude Mice. J Cell Biochem. 2016;117:2533-7 pubmed publisher..J. Cell. Biochem. 117: 2533-2537, 2016. Â© 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Zhang Y, Toneri M, Ma H, Yang Z, Bouvet M, Goto Y, et al. Real-Time GFP Intravital Imaging of the Differences in Cellular and Angiogenic Behavior of Subcutaneous and Orthotopic Nude-Mouse Models of Human PC-3 Prostate Cancer. J Cell Biochem. 2016;117:2546-51 pubmed publisher..These results explain why orthotopic tumors mimimc clinical metastatic tumors in nude mice and why subcutaneous tumors do not. J. Cell. Biochem. 117: 2546-2551, 2016. Â© 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Murakami T, Zhang Y, Wang X, Hiroshima Y, Kasashima H, Yashiro M, et al. Orthotopic Implantation of Intact Tumor Tissue Leads to Metastasis of OCUM-2MD3 Human Gastric Cancer in Nude Mice Visualized in Real Time by Intravital Fluorescence Imaging. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:2125-30 pubmed..These results demonstrate the physiological importance of intact cancer tissue for orthotopic implantation in order for tumors to properly grow and express their metastatic potential. ..
- Cao W, Liu F, Amoh Y, Hoffman R. Protocols for Ectopic Hair Growth from Transplanted Whisker Follicles on the Spinal Cord of Mice. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1453:137-44 pubmed publisher..This result changes our concept of hair growth, demonstrating it is not limited to the skin and that hair growth appears related to HAP stem cells as both increased in tandem on the spinal cord. ..
- Cao W, Liu F, Amoh Y, Hoffman R. Protocols for Gelfoam(Â®) Histoculture of Hair-Shaft-Producing Mouse Whisker Follicles Containing Nestin-GFP-Expressing Hair-Follicle-Associated Pluripotent (HAP) Stem Cells for Long Time Periods. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1453:145-50 pubmed publisher..Three-dimensional Gelfoam(Â®) histoculture of hair follicles can provide a very long-term period for evaluating novel agents to promote hair growth. ..
- Hoffman R, Kajiura S, Cao W, Liu F, Amoh Y. Cryopreservation of Hair-Follicle Associated Pluripotent (HAP) Stem Cells Maintains Differentiation and Hair-Growth Potential. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2016;951:191-198 pubmed..HAP stem cells can be used for nerve and spinal-cord repair. This biobanking of hair follicles can allow each patient the potential for their own stem cell use for regenerative medicine or hair transplantation. ..