Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Amgen Inc
- Fibroblast growth factor 21 reverses hepatic steatosis, increases energy expenditure, and improves insulin sensitivity in diet-induced obese miceJing Xu
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Amgen, Thousand Oaks, California, USA
Diabetes 58:250-9. 2009..The aims of the current study are to evaluate the role of FGF21 in energy metabolism and to provide mechanistic insights into its glucose and lipid-lowering effects in a high-fat diet-induced obesity (DIO) model...
- Acute glucose-lowering and insulin-sensitizing action of FGF21 in insulin-resistant mouse models--association with liver and adipose tissue effectsJing Xu
Amgen Inc, MS 29 1 A, One Amgen Center Dr, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 297:E1105-14. 2009..We conclude that the acute glucose-lowering and insulin-sensitizing effects of FGF21 are potentially associated with its metabolic actions in liver and adipose tissues...
- Lack of overt FGF21 resistance in two mouse models of obesity and insulin resistanceClarence Hale
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Amgen Inc, MS 29 1 A, One Amgen Center Drive, Thousand Oaks, California 91320, USA
Endocrinology 153:69-80. 2012..We conclude that overt FGF21 resistance was not evident in the disease models, and increased hepatic FGF21 expression as a result of local metabolic changes is likely a major cause of elevated circulating FGF21 levels...
- Understanding the physical interactions in the FGF21/FGFR/β-Klotho complex: structural requirements and implications in FGF21 signalingJunming Yie
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center Drive, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Chem Biol Drug Des 79:398-410. 2012..Taken together, our data suggest that the D1/linker region regulates both the FGF21/FGFR1c and FGFR1c/β-Klotho interaction, and a direct interaction of FGF21 with FGFR1c may be an important step in receptor-mediated FGF21 signaling...
- Inhibition of lipolysis may contribute to the acute regulation of plasma FFA and glucose by FGF21 in ob/ob miceXiaofan Li
Amgen Inc, 1120 Veterans Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
FEBS Lett 583:3230-4. 2009..These results demonstrate the potential importance of adipocyte lipolysis to the observed acute improvements in plasma parameters...
- Long-acting FGF21 has enhanced efficacy in diet-induced obese mice and in obese rhesus monkeysMurielle M Veniant
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center Drive, Thousand Oaks, California 91320, USA
Endocrinology 153:4192-203. 2012..In conclusion, in more than one species, Fc-FGF21(RG) chronically administered once a week showed similar or greater efficacy than hrFGF21 administered daily...
- FGF21 promotes metabolic homeostasis via white adipose and leptin in miceMurielle M Veniant
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e40164. 2012..Together these data suggest that adipose tissue is required for the triglyceride and glucose, but not the cholesterol lowering efficacy of FGF21, and that leptin and FGF21 exert additive anti-diabetic effects in Tg mice...
- FGF21 N- and C-termini play different roles in receptor interaction and activationJunming Yie
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
FEBS Lett 583:19-24. 2009..These data demonstrate that the C-terminus of FGF21 is critical for binding to beta-Klotho and the N-terminus is critical for fibroblast growth factor receptor (FGFR) activation...
- Rationale-Based Engineering of a Potent Long-Acting FGF21 Analog for the Treatment of Type 2 DiabetesRandy Hecht
Department of Protein Sciences, Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e49345. 2012..In summary, we engineered a potent and efficacious long-acting FGF21 analog with a favorable pharmaceutical property for potential clinical development...
- An acyl-ghrelin-specific neutralizing antibody inhibits the acute ghrelin-mediated orexigenic effects in miceShu Chen Lu
Department of Metabolic Disorders, Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center Dr, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Mol Pharmacol 75:901-7. 2009..The lack of long-term effects on body weight control by 33A suggests that compensatory mechanisms may contribute to the regulation of energy balance...
- Co-receptor requirements for fibroblast growth factor-19 signalingXinle Wu
Amgen Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
J Biol Chem 282:29069-72. 2007..These results suggest that a functional FGF19 receptor may consist of FGF receptor (FGFR) and heparan sulfate complexed with either alphaKlotho or betaKlotho...
- BicaudalD actively regulates microtubule motor activity in lipid droplet transportKristoffer S Larsen
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, University of California Irvine, Irvine, California, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e3763. 2008..Nonetheless, it is widely believed that BicD may act to tether dynein to cargos. Here we use a combination of biophysical and biochemical studies to investigate BicD's role in lipid droplet transport during Drosophila embryogenesis...