Affiliation: Amgen Inc
- Erythropoiesis-stimulating agentsSteve Elliott
Department of Hematology, Amgen, Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Cancer Treat Res 157:55-74. 2011..In this chapter, the control of Epo levels and erythropoiesis, the various forms of ESAs used commercially, and their physical and biological properties are discussed...
- Epo receptors are not detectable in primary human tumor tissue samplesSteve Elliott
Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e68083. 2013..Taken together these results raise questions about the hypothesis that most tumors express high levels of functional EpoR protein. ..
- Abuse of medicines for performance enhancement in sport: why is this a problem for the pharmaceutical industry?Steve Elliott
Department of Hematology, Amgen, Inc, One Amgen Center, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Bioanalysis 4:1681-90. 2012..A strong, united front between the biopharmaceutical industry and anti-doping agencies is essential to counter the misuse of medicines for performance enhancement, as well as to promote fair play and clean sport...
- Identification of a sensitive anti-erythropoietin receptor monoclonal antibody allows detection of low levels of EpoR in cellsSteve Elliott
Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, United States
J Immunol Methods 352:126-39. 2010..These results indicate that A82 can be used to examine low level EpoR expression in cells by western and flow cytometry allowing an improved understanding of EpoR expression and metabolism...
- Erythropoietins: a common mechanism of actionSteve Elliott
Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320 1799, USA
Exp Hematol 36:1573-84. 2008..PEGylation of EPO (addition of polyethylene glycol) has been used to further extend the terminal half-life. Also, new strategies are under investigation for stimulating erythropoiesis through activation of the EPO receptor...
- Anti-Epo receptor antibodies do not predict Epo receptor expressionSteve Elliott
Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center Dr, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Blood 107:1892-5. 2006..We concluded that these antibodies have limited utility for detecting EpoR. Thus, reports of EpoR expression in tumor cells using these antibodies should be viewed with caution...
- Control of rHuEPO biological activity: the role of carbohydrateSteve Elliott
Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, Calif 91320, USA
Exp Hematol 32:1146-55. 2004..Glycosylation analogs with altered N-linked carbohydrate content were compared with rHuEPO to elucidate the relationship between carbohydrate content and activity...
- Structural requirements for additional N-linked carbohydrate on recombinant human erythropoietinSteve Elliott
Amgen, Thousand Oaks, California 91320, USA
J Biol Chem 279:16854-62. 2004..However, it was noted that recombinant human erythropoietin analogs that were hyperglycosylated at sites that were normally buried had altered protein structures. This suggests that carbohydrate addition precedes polypeptide folding...
- Enhancement of therapeutic protein in vivo activities through glycoengineeringSteve Elliott
Amgen, One Amgen Center, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Nat Biotechnol 21:414-21. 2003..This strategy has been validated clinically for glycoengineered rHuEPO (darbopoetin alfa)...
- Lack of expression and function of erythropoietin receptors in the kidneySteve Elliott
Hematology, Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 27:2733-45. 2012..Recently positive and negative control cell types were validated and a sensitive and specific anti-EpoR antibody (A82) that detects low levels of EpoR protein was described...
- Glycoengineering: the effect of glycosylation on the properties of therapeutic proteinsAngus M Sinclair
Amgen, Inc, One Amgen Center Drive, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320 1799, USA
J Pharm Sci 94:1626-35. 2005..Carbohydrates on DA and other molecules can also increase molecular stability, solubility, increase in vivo biological activity, and reduce immunogenicity. These properties are discussed...
- Investigation of the effects of altered receptor binding activity on the clearance of erythropoiesis-stimulating proteins: Nonerythropoietin receptor-mediated pathways may play a major roleBalaji Agoram
Department of Pharmacokinetics and Drug Metabolism, Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center Drive, Thousand Oaks, California 91320 1799, USA
J Pharm Sci 98:2198-211. 2009....
- Expression and function of erythropoietin receptors in tumors: implications for the use of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents in cancer patientsAngus M Sinclair
Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, California, USA
Cancer 110:477-88. 2007..For this report, the authors reviewed the biology of EpoR in erythropoiesis and compared and contrasted the reported findings on the role of ESAs and EpoR in tumors...
- Kinetics of haematopoietic recovery after dose-intensive chemo/radiotherapy in mice: optimized erythroid support with darbepoetin alphaCynthia Hartley
Departments of Hematology Research and Pharmacokinetics, Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center Drive, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320, USA
Br J Haematol 122:623-36. 2003..There was no evidence that erythropoietic agents exacerbated anaemia, even when administered immediately prior to CRT in an attempt to "prime" erythroid cells for the effects of CRT...
- Drug-induced and antibody-mediated pure red cell aplasia: a review of literature and current knowledgeRalph Smalling
Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center Drive, M S 24 1 C, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320 1799, USA
Biotechnol Annu Rev 10:237-50. 2004..A literature review was undertaken to document the reports of drug-induced PRCA, with all drugs and drug regimens. The sudden increase in reports of antibody-mediated PRCA is discussed...
- Progress in detecting cell-surface protein receptors: the erythropoietin receptor exampleSteve Elliott
Department of Hematology Oncology, Amgen Inc, One Amgen Center Drive, Mail Stop 15 2 A, Thousand Oaks, CA, 91320, USA
Ann Hematol 93:181-92. 2014..Critically analyzing data from tests for cell-surface receptors such as EpoR requires understanding the techniques utilized and demonstrating that results are consistent with current knowledge about receptor biology. ..
- The effect of erythropoietin on normal and neoplastic cellsSteve Elliott
Oncology Research, Amgen, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
Biologics 6:163-89. 2012..Here, we review the biology of endogenous Epo and EpoR expression and function in erythropoiesis, and evaluate the evidence pertaining to the expression of EpoR on normal nonhematopoietic and tumor cells...
- Comparison of the isoelectric focusing patterns of darbepoetin alfa, recombinant human erythropoietin, and endogenous erythropoietin from human urineDon H Catlin
UCLA Olympic Analytical Laboratory, Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Clin Chem 48:2057-9. 2002