Genomes and Genes
Connie M Westhoff
Affiliation: American Red Cross
- Identification of the erythrocyte Rh blood group glycoprotein as a mammalian ammonium transporterConnie M Westhoff
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 510 Stellar Chance, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 277:12499-502. 2002..14 mm) consistent with the hypothesis that the uptake of MA and ammonium involves a similar H(+)-coupled counter-transport mechanism...
- Molecular testing for transfusion medicineConnie M Westhoff
American Red Cross, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19130, USA
Curr Opin Hematol 13:471-5. 2006..This review summarizes the progress made in the last decade in applying genotyping to prenatal practice and clinical transfusion medicine...
- The JAL antigen (RH48) is the result of a change in RHCE that encodes Arg114TrpConnie M Westhoff
Molecular Blood Group and Platelet Testing Laboratory, American Red Cross, Penn Jersey Region, Philadelphia, PA 19130, USA
Transfusion 49:725-32. 2009..This study was undertaken to investigate the RH gene(s) responsible for expression of JAL and to determine the structural relationship between JAL and other Rh antigens...
- Rh complexities: serology and DNA genotypingConnie M Westhoff
American Red Cross, and Division of Transfusion Medicine, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123, USA
Transfusion 47:17S-22S. 2007
- The Rh blood group system in review: a new face for the next decadeConnie M Westhoff
American Red Cross, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19130, USA
Transfusion 44:1663-73. 2004
- Deciphering the function of the Rh family of proteinsConnie M Westhoff
American Red Cross and the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Transfusion 45:117S-21S. 2005
- Characterization of ammonia transport by the kidney Rh glycoproteins RhBG and RhCGDon On Daniel Mak
American Red Cross, 700 Spring Garden St, Philadelphia, PA 19123, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 290:F297-305. 2006....
- Protein 4.2 is critical to CD47-membrane skeleton attachment in human red cellsKris Noel Dahl
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and School of Engineering and Applied Science, Institute for Medicine and Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Blood 103:1131-6. 2004..2 strongly influences CD47 levels as well as the extent of membrane skeleton attachment in the RBC, whereas protein 4.2 affects membrane skeletal attachment of RhAG, Rh, and band 3 to a lesser extent...
- RHCE*ceMO is frequently in cis to RHD*DAU0 and encodes a hr(S) -, hr(B) -, RH:-61 phenotype in black persons: clinical significanceConnie M Westhoff
Laboratory of Immunohematology and Genomics, New York Blood Center Laboratory of Immunochemistry, New York Blood Center, New York, New York National Molecular Testing Laboratory, American Red Cross, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Transfusion 53:2983-9. 2013..We compiled serologic and DNA testing data on samples with RHCE*ceMO to determine the red blood cell (RBC) antigen expression, antibody specificity, RHD association, and the prevalence in African-American persons...
- RHCE*ceTI encodes partial c and partial e and is often in cis to RHD*DIVaConnie M Westhoff
Laboratory of Immunohematology and Genomics, New York Blood Center, Long Island City, New York 10065, USA
Transfusion 53:741-6. 2013..In the Rh blood group system, variant RhD and RhCE express several partial antigens. We investigated RH in samples with partial DIVa that demonstrated weak and variable reactivity with anti-C...
- High prevalence of red blood cell alloimmunization in sickle cell disease despite transfusion from Rh-matched minority donorsStella T Chou
Division of Hematology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Blood 122:1062-71. 2013..Whether RH genotyping of patients and minority donors will reduce Rh alloimmunization in SCD needs to be examined. ..
- Nucleotide deletion in RHCE*cE (907delC) is responsible for a D- - haplotype in HispanicsConnie M Westhoff
National Molecular Blood Group and Platelet Testing Laboratory and NRLBGS, National Reference Laboratory for Blood Group Serology, American Red Cross, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Transfusion 51:2142-7. 2011..We investigated RH in eight samples, three presenting as D- -, whose c-E- red blood cell (RBC) typing was discordant with the RHCE genotype that predicted c+E+...
- DIIIa and DIII Type 5 are encoded by the same allele and are associated with altered RHCE*ce alleles: clinical implicationsConnie M Westhoff
National Molecular Blood Group and Platelet Testing Laboratory, American Red Cross, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Transfusion 50:1303-11. 2010..We also studied additional DIIIa samples to clarify the RHD background and establish the associated RHCE...
- Mechanism of genetic complementation of ammonium transport in yeast by human erythrocyte Rh-associated glycoproteinConnie M Westhoff
Department of Pathology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennyslvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 279:17443-8. 2004..This report clarifies and expands previous observations of RhAG-mediated transport in yeast and supports the hypothesis that ammonium transport is coupled to the H(+) gradient and that RhAG functions as a NH(4)(+)/H(+) exchanger...
- A new hybrid RHCE gene (CeNR) is responsible for expression of a novel antigenConnie M Westhoff
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania and the American Red Cross, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Transfusion 44:1047-51. 2004..The purpose of this study was to determine the molecular basis of the Rh phenotype...
- Fractional attachment of CD47 (IAP) to the erythrocyte cytoskeleton and visual colocalization with Rh protein complexesKris Noel Dahl
School of Engineering and Applied Science, Institute for Medicine and Engineering, and Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, PA 19104, USA
Blood 101:1194-9. 2003..The results imply a homogeneous base distribution of CD47, restrained by cytoskeleton linkages, plus a smaller fraction of CD47, which is able to diffuse in the membrane...
- A novel JKA allele, nt561C>A, associated with silencing of Kidd expressionTrina Horn
National Molecular Blood Group and Platelet Antigen Testing Laboratory, American Red Cross, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Transfusion 52:1092-6. 2012..We determined the molecular basis for Jk(a-b-) in an African American family. DNA testing of samples from random African American, Caucasian, and Brazilian blacks was done to estimate the allele frequency...
- The structure and function of the Rh antigen complexConnie M Westhoff
American Red Cross and Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Division of Transfusion Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19123, USA
Semin Hematol 44:42-50. 2007..The Rh family of proteins now includes non-erythroid homologs present in many other tissues, and comparative genomics reveal Rh homologs in all domains of life...
- Ammonia secretion from fish gill depends on a set of Rh glycoproteinsTsutomu Nakada
Department of Biological Sciences, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Yokohama 226 8501, Japan
FASEB J 21:1067-74. 2007..These results suggest that pufferfish Rh glycoproteins are involved in ammonia excretion from the gill. These findings challenge the classic view that ammonia excretion in the fish gill occurs by passive diffusion...
- Molecular genotyping for RHD: what (not) to do?Connie M Westhoff
Transfusion 47:1337-9. 2007
- Basolateral ammonium transport by the mouse inner medullary collecting duct cell (mIMCD-3)Mary E Handlogten
Division of Nephrology, Hypertension and Transplantation, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL 32610 0224, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 287:F628-38. 2004..We conclude that mIMCD-3 cells express a basolateral electroneutral NH4+/H+ exchange activity that may be mediated by RhBG...
- The RHCE allele ceCF: the molecular basis of Crawford (RH43)Willy A Flegel
Department of Transfusion Medicine, University Hospital, Ulm, Germany
Transfusion 46:1334-42. 2006..The Crawford antigen (RH43) was described in 1980. It occurred in African American people, as a low-prevalence Rhesus antigen, who were also VS+...
- Apical ammonia transport by the mouse inner medullary collecting duct cell (mIMCD-3)Mary E Handlogten
Division of Nephrology, Hypertension and Transplantation, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, 32610 0224, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289:F347-58. 2005....
- DECIPHERING THE FUNCTION OF THE RH BLOOD GROUP PROTEINSConnie Westhoff; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will lead, not only to an understanding of Rh function, but also to an explanation of the clinical effects that occur when this function is disrupted. ..