Affiliation: American Red Cross
- Improving technology for collecting platelets by apheresis: five-year experience in one blood centerRalph R Vassallo
American Red Cross Blood Services, Penn Jersey Region, Philadelphia, PA 19123, USA
Transfus Med Rev 18:257-66. 2004....
- A critical comparison of platelet preparation methodsRalph R Vassallo
American Red Cross Blood Services Penn Jersey Region, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123, USA
Curr Opin Hematol 13:323-30. 2006..Post-storage pooled, whole-blood-derived platelets, on the other hand, do not provide the convenience of or an equivalent level of safety as apheresis platelets...
- New paradigms in the management of alloimmune refractoriness to platelet transfusionsRalph R Vassallo
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and American Red Cross Blood Services Heritage Division, Penn Jersey Region, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123, USA
Curr Opin Hematol 14:655-63. 2007..Among those diagnosed with immune refractoriness, there is no standard method for identifying platelet products likely to be effective...
- Maintenance of in vitro properties of leukoreduced whole blood-derived pooled platelets after a 24-hour interruption of agitationRalph R Vassallo
American Red Cross Blood Services, Penn Jersey Region, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123, USA
Transfusion 49:2131-5. 2009..This study evaluated in vitro properties of pooled whole blood-derived platelets (PLTs) after a 24-hour interruption of agitation...
- A comparison of two robotic platforms to screen plateletpheresis donors for HLA antibodies as part of a transfusion-related acute lung injury mitigation strategyRalph R Vassallo
American Red Cross, Penn Jersey Region, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123, USA
Transfusion 50:1766-77. 2010..Which platform to use, donor subgroups to screen, characteristics of detected antibodies, and operational impact of deferring reactive donors are important questions...
- Scott Murphy, MD: platelet storage pioneerRalph Vassallo
American Red Cross Penn Jersey Region, 700 Spring Garden St, Philadelphia, PA 19123, USA
Transfus Med Rev 25:156-61. 2011..Dr Murphy was one of those rare, great, humble men who inspire and enrich everyone around him. Truly one of transfusion medicine's leaders, Scott is remembered by those whose lives he touched for his warmth, wit, and wisdom...
- Comparison of the in vitro properties of apheresis platelets during 7-day storage after interrupting agitation for one or three periodsStephen J Wagner
Blood Components Department, American Red Cross, Holland Laboratory, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Transfusion 48:2492-500. 2008..We have previously conducted studies investigating maintenance of apheresis PLT in vitro quality measures during a single 24- or 30-hour interruption of agitation, but data are not available for multiple periods without agitation...
- The influence of simulated shipping conditions (24- or 30-hr interruption of agitation) on the in vitro properties of apheresis platelets during 7-day storageStephen J Wagner
Blood Components Department, American Red Cross, Holland Laboratory, Rockville, MD 20855, USA
Transfusion 48:1072-80. 2008..Studies have demonstrated maintenance of PLT quality of whole blood-derived PLT concentrates during a 24-hour interruption of agitation, but data are not available for apheresis PLTs in 100 percent plasma...
- Changing paradigms in matched platelet supportRalph R Vassallo
Transfusion 48:204-6. 2008