Affiliation: American Hospital Association
- The profitability of Medicare admissions based on source of admissionMegan McHugh
George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA
Acad Emerg Med 15:900-7. 2008..This study investigates whether admissions from the emergency department (ED) have lower dollar margins than elective admissions under Medicare and explores two possible reasons for differences in margins...
- Improving evaluations of value-based purchasing programsMegan McHugh
Health Research and Educational Trust, 155 N Wacker Drive, Suite 400, Chicago, IL 60654, USA
Health Serv Res 45:1559-69. 2010..We offer several recommendations for improving the foundation to conduct evaluations of VBP programs to better inform policy and practice...
- Understanding the safety net: inpatient quality of care varies based on how one defines safety-net hospitalsMegan McHugh
Health Research and Educational Trust, Chicago, IL 60606, USA
Med Care Res Rev 66:590-605. 2009..How one defines safety-net providers can affect health services research outcomes and policy recommendations...
- Four reasons to confront crowding in the emergency departmentMegan McHugh
Health Research and Educational Trust, American Hospital Association, Chicago, USA
Trustee 63:33-4, 1. 2010..Emergency department crowding should be a board priority. Here are four reasons why...
- Time and expenses associated with the implementation of strategies to reduce emergency department crowdingMegan McHugh
Institute for Healthcare Studies and Department of Emergency Medicine, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, 750 N Lake Shore Dr, 10th Floor, Chicago, IL, USA
J Emerg Nurs 38:420-8. 2012..The purpose of this study was to estimate the time spent and expenses incurred as 6 Urgent Matters hospitals planned and implemented strategies to improve patient flow and reduce crowding...
- Reporting information on emergency department crowding to the hospital board and delivery of time-sensitive careMegan McHugh
Institute for Healthcare Studies, Department of Emergency Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 38:229-34. 2012....
- Medicare's policy to limit payment for hospital-acquired conditions: the impact on safety net providersMegan McHugh
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 22:638-47. 2011..Safety-net hospitals and hospitals with the lowest financial margins may be more likely than others to be affected by policies that reduce payment for HACs...
- Medicare's payment policy for hospital-acquired conditions: perspectives of administrators from safety net hospitalsMegan McHugh
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Med Care Res Rev 68:667-82. 2011..The findings also illustrate the need for Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to provide more guidance to the industry when this type of policy is introduced...
- Adoption of CT colonography by US hospitalsMegan McHugh
Institute for Healthcare Studies, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 8:169-74. 2011..The purpose of this study was to identify the percentage of US hospitals that offered CTC between 2005 and 2008 and factors that motivated or impeded adoption...
- Monitoring local safety-net providers: do they have adequate capacity?Suzanne Felt-Lisk
Mathematica Policy Research, Washington, DC, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 21:277-83. 2002..Also, free clinics grew during the 1990s, while many other safety-net providers focused on improving their efficiency and collecting more fees from patients...
- Job-based health insurance: costs climb at a moderate paceGary Claxton
Henry J Kaiser Family Foundation in Washington, DC, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 28:w1002-12. 2009..Enrollment in high-deductible health plans held steady. We offer new insights about health risk assessments and how firms responded to the economic downturn...
- How prepared are Americans for public health emergencies? Twelve communities weigh inMegan McHugh
Mathematica Policy Research in Washington, DC, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 23:201-9. 2004..Important challenges include a shortage of funding, delay in the receipt of federal funding, and staffing shortages...
- Facilitators and barriers to the implementation of patient flow improvement strategiesKevin J Van Dyke
National Association of Public Hospitals and Health Systems, 1301Pennsylvania Ave NW, Ste 950, Washington, DC 20004, USA
Qual Manag Health Care 20:223-33. 2011..Leveraging facilitators and developing a strategy to address common barriers may leave hospital and ED leaders better prepared to implement patient flow improvement strategies...
- Popular Medicaid programs do battle with state budget pressures: perspectives from twelve statesJohn F Hoadley
Georgetown University s Health Policy Institute, Washington, DC, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 23:143-54. 2004..However, the limits to this surprising level of support are exemplified by decisions in many states to shelve some planned future expansions indefinitely...