Affiliation: American Red Cross
- Similar levels of infectivity in the blood of mice infected with human-derived vCJD and GSS strains of transmissible spongiform encephalopathyLarisa Cervenakova
Jerome H Holland Laboratory for the Biomedical Sciences, Red Cross, Rockville, MD 20855, USA
Transfusion 43:1687-94. 2003....
- Advances in screening test development for transmissible spongiform encephalopathiesLarisa Cervenakova
American Red Cross Research and Development, 15601 Crabbs Branch Way, Rockville, MD 20855, USA
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2:873-80. 2004..However, the quest for a blood test is still in its infancy and requires extensive further research...
- Protease-resistant prion protein in lymphoreticular tumors of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease miceLarisa Cervenakova
Transmissible Diseases Department, J H Holland Laboratory, American Red Cross, Rockville, Maryland 20855, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 12:511-3. 2006..PrPres may accumulate in lymphoreticular system tumors of asymptomatic persons with vCJD. The statistical power of estimates of vCJD prevalence might be increased by expanding screening to include samples of lymphoreticular neoplasms...
- Detection of misfolded prion protein in blood with conformationally sensitive peptidesTao Pan
Adlyfe Inc, 9430 Key West Avenue, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Transfusion 47:1418-25. 2007....
- Fukuoka-1 strain of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy agent infects murine bone marrow-derived cells with features of mesenchymal stem cellsLarisa Cervenakova
Transmissible Diseases Department, American Red Cross Holland Laboratory, Rockville, MD 20855, USA
Transfusion 51:1755-68. 2011..While most cell lines resist infection, a few propagate TSE agents...
- Murine bone marrow stromal cell culture with features of mesenchymal stem cells susceptible to mouse-adapted human TSE agent, Fukuoka-1Sergey Akimov
Transmissible Diseases Department, Holland Laboratory, American Red Cross, 15601 Crabbs Branch Way, Rockville, MD 20855, USA
Folia Neuropathol 47:205-14. 2009..BM-derived cell cultures can be used for studies of molecular mechanisms underlying the cells' susceptibility to various strains of TSEs, their propagation ex vivo, and for screening of potential anti-TSEs therapeutics...
- Persistent propagation of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease agent in murine spleen stromal cell culture with features of mesenchymal stem cellsSergey Akimov
Transmissible Diseases Department, American Red Cross Holland Laboratory, Rockville, Maryland 20855, USA
J Virol 82:10959-62. 2008..These new cell cultures can be used efficiently for studies of the pathogenesis of the disease, for development of diagnostics and therapeutics, and as a rapid ex vivo assay for TSE inactivation/removal procedures...
- Effect of protease treatment on plasma infectivity in variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease miceOksana Yakovleva
Jerome H Holland Laboratory for the Biomedical Sciences, American Red Cross, Rockville, Maryland 20855, USA
Transfusion 44:1700-5. 2004..This study was initiated to explain why attempts to identify protease-resistant prion protein (PrPres) following treatment with proteinase K (PK) in blood or blood components have so far failed...
- Failure of immunocompetitive capillary electrophoresis assay to detect disease-specific prion protein in buffy coat from humans and chimpanzees with Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseLarisa Cervenakova
Plasma Derivatives Department, Jerome H Holland Laboratory for the Biomedical Sciences, American Red Cross, Rockville, MD 20855, USA
Electrophoresis 24:853-9. 2003..Thus, the ICCE assay as presently performed is not suitable for use as a screening test in human transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs)...
- Stability of the prion protein-encoding (PRNP) gene in HeLa cellsGeorgios Amexis
Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, United States Food and Drug Administration, 1401 Rockville Pike, HFM 313, Rockville, MD 20852 1448, USA
Biologicals 31:83-6. 2003....
- Gerstmann-Sträussler-Scheinker: a new phenotype with 'curly' PrP depositsMonica Colucci
Department of Neurology, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy, and Pikeville Neurology Clinic and Diagnostic Center, Pikeville, Kentucky, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 65:642-51. 2006..PK-resistant PrP recovered from the plaque and curly staining regions appeared to be full length...
- The modern landscape of transfusion-related iatrogenic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and blood screening testsPaul Brown
National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Curr Opin Hematol 11:351-6. 2004....
- Spontaneous mutations in the prion protein gene causing transmissible spongiform encephalopathyAyush Dagvadorj
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Ann Neurol 52:355-9. 2002..We provide evidence that hereditary and apparently sporadic transmissible spongiform encephalopathy cases associated with the D178N mutation result from multiple recurrent mutational events...
- A prion lexicon (out of control)Paul Brown
Lancet 365:122. 2005