Affiliation: Altarum Institute
- Enhancing behavioral health treatment and crisis management through mobile ecological momentary assessment and SMS messagingBrad Smith
Altarum Institute, San Antonio, TX 78216, USA
Health Informatics J 18:294-308. 2012..The results of the pilot suggest that mHealth technologies are feasible adjuncts to traditional mental treatment in the veteran population. Additional work is needed to establish the degree of clinical and economic value...
- Disease management produces limited quality-of-life improvements in patients with congestive heart failure: evidence from a randomized trial in community-dwelling patientsBrad Smith
Disease Management Center, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 4243 Piedras Drive East, Suite 240, San Antonio, TX 78228, USA
Am J Manag Care 11:701-13. 2005..Disease management programs are reported to improve clinical and quality-of-life outcomes while simultaneously lowering healthcare costs...
- Educational attainment has a limited impact on disease management outcomes in heart failureBrad Smith
Altarum Institute, San Antonio, Texas, Disease Management Center, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas 78209, USA
Dis Manag 9:157-66. 2006..Confidence increased an approximately equal amount (2.1-3.0 points on a 100-point scale) across all educational strata (p = ns). Low educational attainment may not be a barrier to effective disease management...
- Cost-effectiveness of telephonic disease management in heart failureBrad Smith
Altarum Institute, 3737 Broadway, Ste 205, San Antonio, TX 78209, USA
Am J Manag Care 14:106-15. 2008..To evaluate the cost-effectiveness of a telephonic disease management (DM) intervention in heart failure (HF)...
- Long-term healthcare and cost outcomes of disease management in a large, randomized, community-based population with heart failureAutumn Dawn Galbreath
Division of Cardiology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Tex, USA
Circulation 110:3518-26. 2004..The effectiveness of such programs in a large, heterogeneous population of CHF patients remains unknown...
- Impact of obesity in asthma: evidence from a large prospective disease management studyJay I Peters
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 106:30-5. 2011..asthma and obesity continue to have a significant effect on public health. It is widely accepted that obesity may be an independent risk factor for asthma and affect asthma severity and quality of life (QOL)...
- Cumulative recruitment experience in two large single-center randomized, controlled clinical trialsAutumn Dawn Galbreath
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, USA
Contemp Clin Trials 29:335-42. 2008..We describe one center's experience with recruitment in two regional single-center clinical trials with a combined total of 1971 participants...
- Long-term cost-effectiveness of disease management in systolic heart failureGeorge Miller
Altarum Institute, Ann Arbor, MI 48113 4001, USA
Med Decis Making 29:325-33. 2009..Although congestive heart failure (CHF) is a primary target for disease management programs, previous studies have generated mixed results regarding the effectiveness and cost savings of disease management when applied to CHF...
- Quantifying asthma symptoms in adults: the Lara Asthma Symptom ScalePamela Runge Wood
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 120:1368-72. 2007..A multidimensional asthma control questionnaire could provide more accurate information about asthma symptoms than global assessments, which often overestimate asthma control...
- Impact of home environment characteristics on asthma quality of life and symptom scoresAngela D Shedd
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
J Asthma 44:183-7. 2007..These findings confirm existing wisdom on roaches and dust mite covers and raise important questions about bed sheet washing recommendations...
- The diagnosis and management of polycythemia vera in the era since the Polycythemia Vera Study Group: a survey of American Society of Hematology members' practice patternsMichael B Streiff
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Blood 99:1144-9. 2002..A significant minority of physicians undertreat erythrocytosis, and little consensus exists regarding the treatment of thrombocytosis...