David R Gastfriend
Affiliation: Alkermes Inc
- Alcohol dependence treatments: comprehensive healthcare costs, utilization outcomes, and pharmacotherapy persistenceOnur Baser
852 Winter St, Waltham, MA 02139 e mail
Am J Manag Care 17:S222-34. 2011..To determine the healthcare costs associated with treatment of alcohol dependence with medications versus no medication and across the 4 medications approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)...
- Cost and utilization outcomes of opioid-dependence treatmentsOnur Baser
TATinMED Research and the University of Michigan, USA
Am J Manag Care 17:S235-48. 2011..To evaluate the healthcare costs associated with treatment of opioid-dependence disorder with medications versus no medication, and with the 4 agents approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)...
- Intramuscular extended-release naltrexone: current evidenceDavid R Gastfriend
Alkermes, Inc, Waltham, Massachusetts 02451 1420, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1216:144-66. 2011..While more research is needed, current findings suggest that a formulation of naltrexone that was sought beginning over three decades ago is fulfilling its promise as an extended-release pharmacotherapeutic...
- Reduction in heavy drinking as a treatment outcome in alcohol dependenceDavid R Gastfriend
Alkermes, Cambridge, MA, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 33:71-80. 2007....
- Advancing performance measures for use of medications in substance abuse treatmentCindy Parks Thomas
Brandeis University, Institute for Behavioral Health, Heller School for Social Policy and Management, Waltham, MA 02454, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 40:35-43. 2011..This article summarizes those findings by identifying a number of critical themes related to advancing SUD pharmacotherapy performance measures, highlighting examples from the field, and recommending actions for policy makers...
- Overriding the blockade of antinociceptive actions of opioids in rats treated with extended-release naltrexoneReginald L Dean
Department of Life Sciences and Toxicology, Alkermes, Inc, 88 Sidney St, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 89:515-22. 2008..Thus, opioid receptor blockade with XR-NTX can be overcome in rats with higher doses of opioids without further affecting respiration or locomotor activity...
- Efficacy of extended-release naltrexone in alcohol-dependent patients who are abstinent before treatmentSTEPHANIE S O'MALLEY
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, Connecticut Mental Health Center, New Haven, CT 06519, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:507-12. 2007..In conclusion, XR-NTX 380 mg prolonged abstinence and reduced the number of heavy drinking days and drinking days in patients who were abstinent for as few as 4 days before treatment initiation...
- Combined pharmacotherapies and behavioral interventions for alcohol dependence: the COMBINE study: a randomized controlled trialRaymond F Anton
Center for Drug and Alcohol Programs, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston 29425, USA
JAMA 295:2003-17. 2006..Alcohol dependence treatment may include medications, behavioral therapies, or both. It is unknown how combining these treatments may impact their effectiveness, especially in the context of primary care and other nonspecialty settings...
- Early treatment response in alcohol dependence with extended-release naltrexoneDomenic A Ciraulo
Division of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118 2393, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 69:190-5. 2008..We sought to determine the time course for onset of effect of intramuscular injectable extended-release naltrexone (XR-NTX), which has demonstrated efficacy for alcohol dependence...
- Cost and cost-effectiveness of the COMBINE study in alcohol-dependent patientsGary A Zarkin
RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Rd, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:1214-21. 2008..The costs and cost-effectiveness of these combinations are unknown and of interest to clinicians and policy makers...
- Efficacy and tolerability of long-acting injectable naltrexone for alcohol dependence: a randomized controlled trialJames C Garbutt
Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill 27599 7160, USA
JAMA 293:1617-25. 2005..However, adherence to daily oral pharmacotherapy can be problematic, and clinical acceptance and utility of oral naltrexone have been limited...
- Advances in the pharmacotherapy of alcoholism: challenging misconceptionsHenry R Kranzler
Department of Psychiatry, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Connecticut, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 30:272-81. 2006..Gastfriend; (5) System Challenges in the Adoption of Pharmacotherapy, by Robert M. Swift; and (6) Pharmacotherapy for Alcohol Dependence: Strengths, Challenges, and Future Directions, by Mark L. Willenbring...
- The ASAM patient placement criteria: context, concepts and continuing developmentDavid R Gastfriend
J Addict Dis 22:1-8. 2003
- Addiction denial and cognitive dysfunction: a preliminary investigationWilliam Rinn
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 14:52-7. 2002..Cognitive deficiencies were identified through neuropsychological assessments. Persistent denial was significantly correlated with greater impairment of executive function, verbal memory, visual inference, and mental speed...