Russell P Rother
Affiliation: Alexion Pharmaceuticals
- Discovery and development of the complement inhibitor eculizumab for the treatment of paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuriaRussell P Rother
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 352 Knotter Drive, Cheshire, Connecticut 06410, USA
Nat Biotechnol 25:1256-64. 2007....
- The clinical sequelae of intravascular hemolysis and extracellular plasma hemoglobin: a novel mechanism of human diseaseRussell P Rother
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Cheshire, Conn 06410, USA
JAMA 293:1653-62. 2005..A growing list of clinical manifestations attributed to hemoglobin release in a variety of acquired and iatrogenic hemolytic disorders suggests that hemolysis and hemoglobinemia should be considered as a novel mechanism of human disease...
- Improvement in the symptoms of smooth muscle dystonia during eculizumab therapy in paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuriaAnita Hill
Haematology, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, UK
Haematologica 90:ECR40. 2005..Complement inhibition has been sustained for over 2 years and results in resolution of intravascular hemolysis and amelioration of symptoms associated with smooth muscle contractions...
- Effect of eculizumab on hemolysis and transfusion requirements in patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuriaPeter Hillmen
Department of Haematology, Leeds Teaching Hospitals National Health Science Trust, Leeds, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 350:552-9. 2004..We tested the clinical efficacy of eculizumab, a humanized antibody that inhibits the activation of terminal complement components, in patients with PNH...
- Multicenter phase 3 study of the complement inhibitor eculizumab for the treatment of patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuriaRobert A Brodsky
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Blood 111:1840-7. 2008..This trial is registered at http://clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00130000...
- Sustained response and long-term safety of eculizumab in paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuriaAnita Hill
Department of Haematology, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Leeds, LS1 3EX, United Kingdom
Blood 106:2559-65. 2005..Eculizumab continued to be safe and well tolerated, and all patients completed the study. The close relationship between sustained terminal complement inhibition, hemolysis, and symptoms was demonstrated...
- The complement inhibitor eculizumab in paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuriaPeter Hillmen
Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 355:1233-43. 2006..We tested the safety and efficacy of eculizumab, a humanized monoclonal antibody against terminal complement protein C5 that inhibits terminal complement activation, in patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH)...
- Effect of the complement inhibitor eculizumab on thromboembolism in patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuriaPeter Hillmen
Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, United Kingdom
Blood 110:4123-8. 2007..001). These results show that eculizumab treatment reduces the risk of clinical thromboembolism in patients with PNH. This study is registered at http://clinicaltrials.gov (study ID no. NCT00122317)...
- Anti-C5 antibody treatment ameliorates weakness in experimentally acquired myasthenia gravisYuefang Zhou
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
J Immunol 179:8562-7. 2007..The results argue that targeting C5 may warrant testing in MG patients and that this approach may be particularly valuable for myasthenic crisis...
- A novel mechanism of complement-independent clearance of red cells deficient in glycosyl phosphatidylinositol-linked proteinsMarek Jasinski
Division of Hematology, Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Blood 103:2827-34. 2004..Future investigations will show whether this novel pathway of PIGA- RBC destruction identified in mice may also operate in patients with PNH...
- Prevention of acute vascular rejection by a functionally blocking anti-C5 monoclonal antibody combined with cyclosporineHao Wang
Multi Organ Transplant Program, London Health Sciences Centre, London, Ontario, Canada
Transplantation 79:1121-7. 2005....
- Effective induction of naive and recall T-cell responses by targeting antigen to human dendritic cells via a humanized anti-DC-SIGN antibodyPaul J Tacken
Department of Tumor Immunology, Nijmegen Centre for Molecular Life Sciences, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, PO Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Blood 106:1278-85. 2005..This identifies DC-SIGN as a promising target molecule for DC-based vaccination strategies...
- Eculizumab prevents anti-ganglioside antibody-mediated neuropathy in a murine modelSusan K Halstead
University of Glasgow, Division of Clinical Neurosciences, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, Glasgow, UK
Brain 131:1197-208. 2008....