Marta Van Loan
Affiliation: Agricultural Research Service
- Do hand-held calorimeters provide reliable and accurate estimates of resting metabolic rate?Marta D Van Loan
FACSM, USDA, ARS, Western Human Nutrition Research Center, University of California, 430 West Health Sciences Drive, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 26:625-9. 2007..Overall, there is not a large enough body of evidence to definitively support the use of these hand-held devices for assessment of metabolic rate in a wide variety of clinical or research environments...
- Dairy Foods in a Moderate Energy Restricted Diet Do Not Enhance Central Fat, Weight, and Intra-Abdominal Adipose Tissue Losses nor Reduce Adipocyte Size or Inflammatory Markers in Overweight and Obese Adults: A Controlled Feeding StudyMarta D Van Loan
Obesity and Metabolism Research Unit, Western Human Nutrition Research Center, USDA, ARS, 430 West Health Science Drive, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Obes 2011:989657. 2011..Assessment of appetite, hunger, and satiety with followup on weight regain should be considered...
- Evidence of associations between feto-maternal vitamin D status, cord parathyroid hormone and bone-specific alkaline phosphatase, and newborn whole body bone mineral contentDaphna K Dror
USDA, ARS, Western Human Nutrition Research Center, 430 W Health Sciences Dr, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Nutrients 4:68-77. 2012..This study provides evidence of associations between feto-maternal 25(OH)D, cord PTH and BALP, and early infant WBBMC, though neither feto-maternal 25(OH)D nor the measured biochemical indices were suitable indicators of WBBMC...
- The role of dairy foods and dietary calcium in weight managementMarta Van Loan
University of California Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 28:120S-9S. 2009....
- Dietary fat and not calcium supplementation or dairy product consumption is associated with changes in anthropometrics during a randomized, placebo-controlled energy-restriction trialJennifer T Smilowitz
USDA, ARS, Western Human Nutrition Research Center, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Nutr Metab (Lond) 8:67. 2011..However, weight loss interventions including dietary calcium or dairy product consumption have not reported changes in lipid metabolism measured by the plasma lipidome...
- Dairy food consumption and meal-induced cortisol response interacted to influence weight loss in overweight women undergoing a 12-week, meal-controlled, weight loss interventionMegan G Witbracht
Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
J Nutr 143:46-52. 2013..The AD treatment prevented the latter. Furthermore, certain phenotypic markers of HPA axis function may help to expose the weight-reducing effects of consuming dairy food...
- A feasibility study of wearable activity monitors for pre-adolescent school-age childrenSara E Schaefer
Foods for Health Institute, University of California, Davis, 2141 RMI North, One Shields Ave, Davis CA 95616 E mail
Prev Chronic Dis 11:E85. 2014..Understanding physical activity is key in the fight against childhood obesity. The objective of this study was to examine the feasibility of using certain wearable devices to measure physical activity among children...
- Diet in midpuberty and sedentary activity in prepuberty predict peak bone massMay Choo Wang
Department of Nutritional Sciences and the School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, 94720 7360, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 77:495-503. 2003..An average daily calcium intake of 1300 mg is recommended for North American adolescents aged 9-18 y. However, questions remain about these recommendations...
- Longitudinal measures of circulating leptin and ghrelin concentrations are associated with the growth of young Peruvian children but are not affected by zinc supplementationJoanne E Arsenault
Program in International and Community Nutrition, Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 86:1111-9. 2007..Leptin, ghrelin, and insulin are hormonal regulators of energy balance and, therefore, may be related to growth during infancy. Zinc is essential for growth, and its growth effects may be mediated through these hormones...
- Size acceptance and intuitive eating improve health for obese, female chronic dietersLinda Bacon
Agricultural Experiment Station, University of California, Davis, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 105:929-36. 2005..Examine a model that encourages health at every size as opposed to weight loss. The health at every size concept supports homeostatic regulation and eating intuitively (ie, in response to internal cues of hunger, satiety, and appetite)...
- Calcium and dairy product modulation of lipid utilization and energy expenditureDorothy Teegarden
Interdepartmental Nutrition Program, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:1566-72. 2008..The purpose of this study was to investigate the impact of dietary calcium or dairy product intake on total energy expenditure (TEE), fat oxidation, and thermic effect of a meal (TEM) during a weight loss trial...