M D Van Loan
Affiliation: Agricultural Research Service
- Effect of weight loss on bone mineral content and bone mineral density in obese womenM D Van Loan
US Department of Agriculture, Western Human Nutrition Research Center, Presidio of San Francisco, CA 94129, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 67:734-8. 1998..Further research is needed to determine the full effect of weight loss on BMC, bone area, and BMD...
- Body composition in disease: what can we measure and how can we measure it?M D Van Loan
US Department of Agriculture Western Human Nutrition Research Center, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Acta Diabetol 40:S154-7. 2003..Materials in this paper should not be interpreted as providing all the relevant information in this area of research, but the paper does represent a limited overview of the topic...
- Influence of cognitive eating restraint on total-body measurements of bone mineral density and bone mineral content in premenopausal women aged 18-45 y: a cross-sectional studyM D Van Loan
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service Western Human Nutrition Research Center, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 72:837-43. 2000..We examined the relation between cognitive eating restraint (CER) and total-body measurements of bone mineral density (BMD) and bone mineral content (BMC)...
- Low bone mass in premenopausal chronic dieting obese womenL Bacon
Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 58:966-71. 2004..Obese premenopausal women are thought to be at low risk for osteoporosis due to increased body weight and effects of estrogen on weight-bearing bone...
- Longitudinal assessment of energy balance in well-nourished, pregnant womenL E Kopp-Hoolihan
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 69:697-704. 1999..Previous studies have shown considerable variation in the metabolic response to pregnancy and thus in the additional energy required to support a pregnancy...
- Longitudinal changes in pancreatic and adipocyte hormones following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgeryM M Swarbrick
Department of Molecular Biosciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California Davis, One Shields Ave, Davis, CA 95616 5270, USA
Diabetologia 51:1901-11. 2008..Our objective was to conduct a comprehensive longitudinal investigation of the endocrine changes following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery (RYGBP), focusing on pancreatic and adipocyte hormones and systemic markers of inflammation...
- Fat mass deposition during pregnancy using a four-component modelL E Kopp-Hoolihan
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 87:196-202. 1999..This variability makes it impossible to derive a single value for the energy cost of fat deposition to use in estimating the energy requirement of pregnancy...
- Contribution of serum inflammatory markers to changes in bone mineral content and density in postmenopausal women: a 1-year investigationE R Gertz
US Department of Agriculture, ARS, Western Human Nutrition Research Center, Davis, CA, USA
J Clin Densitom 13:277-82. 2010..1-6.1% of the variance to the observed 12-mo changes in BMC and BMD. Our results suggest that modifying inflammatory markers, even in healthy postmenopausal women, may possibly reduce bone loss...
- Evaluating a 'non-diet' wellness intervention for improvement of metabolic fitness, psychological well-being and eating and activity behaviorsL Bacon
Department of Nutrition, University of California at Davis, Davis, California, USA
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26:854-65. 2002..Others advocate an alternative, 'non-diet' approach which emphasizes eating in response to physiological cues (eg hunger and satiety) and enhancing body acceptance...
- Circulating concentrations of high-molecular-weight adiponectin are increased following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgeryM M Swarbrick
Department of Nutrition, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, University of California, Davis, CA 95616 5270, USA
Diabetologia 49:2552-8. 2006..The HMW form is implicated as the multimer responsible for adiponectin's hepatic insulin-sensitising actions...
- Validation of fan beam dual energy x ray absorptiometry for body composition assessment in adults aged 18-45 yearsJ Norcross
University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Br J Sports Med 38:472-6. 2004..Pencil beam dual energy x ray absorptiometry (DXA) has been shown to provide valid estimates of body fat (%BF), but DXA fan beam technology has not been adequately tested to determine its validity...