Bruce V Thomsen
Affiliation: Agricultural Research Service
- Diagnostic accuracy of rectal mucosa biopsy testing for chronic wasting disease within white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) herds in North America: effects of age, sex, polymorphism at PRNP codon 96, and disease progressionBruce V Thomsen
National Veterinary Services Laboratories, U S Department of Agriculture, 1920 Dayton Avenue, Ames, IA 50010, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 24:878-87. 2012..The overall diagnostic specificity was 99.8%. Selective use of antemortem rectal biopsy sample testing would provide valuable information during disease investigations of CWD-suspect deer herds...
- Generalized cerebral atrophy seen on MRI in a naturally exposed animal model for Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseAlexia L McKnight
University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, New Bolton Center, Kennett Square, PA 19348, USA
J Transl Med 8:125. 2010..This study attempts to answer the questions "Could MRI detect prion diseases before clinical symptoms appear?, and if so, with what confidence?"..
- Nor98 scrapie identified in the United StatesChristie M Loiacono
USDA APHIS NVSL, 1800 Dayton Avenue, Ames, IA 50010, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 21:454-63. 2009..The current study describes in detail the pathologic changes and diagnostic results of the first 6 cases of Nor98 scrapie disease diagnosed in sheep of the United States...
- Bovine tuberculosis in a nebraska herd of farmed elk and fallow deer: a failure of the tuberculin skin test and opportunities for serodiagnosisW Ray Waters
National Animal Disease Center, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture USDA, Ames, IA 50010, USA
Vet Med Int 2011:953985. 2011..Serologic test sensitivity ranged from 79 to 97% depending on the test format and host species. Together, these findings demonstrate the opportunities for use of serodiagnosis in the rapid detection of TB in elk and fallow deer...
- Evaluation of Serodiagnostic Assays for Mycobacterium bovis Infection in Elk, White-Tailed Deer, and Reindeer in the United StatesJeffrey T Nelson
National Veterinary Services Laboratories, Veterinary Services VS, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service APHIS, United States Department of Agriculture USDA, Ames, IA 50010, USA
Vet Med Int 2012:563293. 2012..1%. The study findings indicate that rapid serologic tests used in series are comparable to the SCT and CCT and may have a greater ability to detect TB-infected cervids...
- Determination of sheep prion gene polymorphisms from paraffin-embedded tissueRobert A Kunkle
National Animal Disease Center, USDA, Agricultural Research Service, 2300 Dayton Avenue, PO Box 70, Ames, IA 50010, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 18:443-7. 2006....
- Experimentally induced infection of reindeer (Rangifer tarandus) with Mycobacterium bovisMitchell V Palmer
Bacterial Diseases of Livestock Research Unit, National Animal Disease Center, USDA, Ames, IA 50010, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 18:52-60. 2006..Comparative cervical skin testing of reindeer can be highly sensitive, but has low specificity. Specificity can be improved by modification of criteria for interpretation of the CCT...
- Sensitivity and specificity of the agar-gel-immunodiffusion test, ELISA and the skin test for detection of paratuberculosis in United States Midwest sheep populationsSuelee Robbe-Austerman
National Animal Disease Center, Agricultural Research Service, USDA, 2300 Dayton, Ames, Iowa 50010, USA
Vet Res 37:553-64. 2006..The AGID and ELISA were specific but lacked sensitivity. The AGID and ELISA consistently identified two different populations of infected sheep with only moderate overlap between positive test results...