Joan K Lunney
Affiliation: Agricultural Research Service
- Interleukin-8, interleukin-1beta, and interferon-gamma levels are linked to PRRS virus clearanceJoan K Lunney
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
Viral Immunol 23:127-34. 2010..These results indicate that while each cytokine individually has minor effects on the length of virus replication, the combination of cytokine activities should be considered when understanding the role of immunity in persistence...
- Localized multigene expression patterns support an evolving Th1/Th2-like paradigm in response to infections with Toxoplasma gondii and Ascaris suumHarry D Dawson
Nutrient Requirements and Functions Laboratory, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, US Dept of Agriculture, Bldg 307C, Room 214, BARC East, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Infect Immun 73:1116-28. 2005....
- Deciphering the involvement of innate immune factors in the development of the host response to PRRSV vaccinationAtabak R Royaee
Animal Parasitic Disease Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, ARS, BARC, USDA, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 102:199-216. 2004..Thus, while exogenous addition of IFNA during PRRSV vaccination has an impact on the development of a Th1 immune response, other alterations will be required for substantial boosting of virus-specific protection...
- Comparison of detection methods for Toxoplasma gondii in naturally and experimentally infected swineDolores E Hill
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, BARC East Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Vet Parasitol 141:9-17. 2006..gondii infection in tissues from naturally and experimentally infected pigs. The results indicate that a serum-based ELISA is the most sensitive method, of those tested, for detection of T. gondii infected swine...
- Genetic control of host resistance to porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV) infectionJoan K Lunney
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, ANRI, ARS, USDA, BARC East, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Virus Res 154:161-9. 2010..Additionally these studies may reveal alternate PRRS control mechanisms that can be exploited for novel drugs, biotherapeutics and vaccine designs...
- Advances in swine biomedical model genomicsJoan K Lunney
APDL, BARC, ARS, United States Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Int J Biol Sci 3:179-84. 2007....
- Structural and functional annotation of the porcine immunomeHarry D Dawson
USDA ARS, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Diet, Genomics, Immunology Laboratory, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
BMC Genomics 14:332. 2013..The completion of the pig genome provides the opportunity to annotate the pig immunome, and compare and contrast pig and human immune systems...
- Expressed gene sequence and bioactivity of the IFNgamma-response chemokine CXCL11 of swine and cattlePatricia Boyd
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, ANRI, ARS, USDA, Building 1040, Room 103, BARC East, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 136:170-5. 2010..This work provides valuable new reagents for investigating basic immunity as well as vaccine and disease responses in swine and cattle, goals of the U.S. Veterinary Immune Reagent Network which supported this effort...
- Molecular genetics of the swine major histocompatibility complex, the SLA complexJoan K Lunney
USDA, ARS, BARC, APDL, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Dev Comp Immunol 33:362-74. 2009..It concludes by discussing the role of SLA genes in swine models of transplantation, xenotransplantation, cancer and allergy and in swine production traits and responses to infectious disease and vaccines...
- Perspectives for artificial insemination and genomics to improve global swine populationsRoger J Gerrits
Biotechnology and Germplasm Laboratory, ANRI, BARC, ARS, USDA, Beltsville, MD, USA
Theriogenology 63:283-99. 2005..AI, in vitro embryo production and embryo transfer will be the preferred means of implementing these new technologies to enhance efficiency of pig production in the future...
- Probing genetic control of swine responses to PRRSV infection: current progress of the PRRS host genetics consortiumJoan K Lunney
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, BARC, ARS, USDA, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
BMC Proc 5:S30. 2011..Understanding the role of host genetics in resistance to porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV) infection, and the effects of PRRS on pig health and related growth, are goals of the PRRS Host Genetics Consortium (PHGC)...
- Identification of key immune mediators regulating T helper 1 responses in swineHarry D Dawson
Nutrient Requirements and Functions Laboratory, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, USDA, Bldg 307C, Room 213, BARC East, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 100:105-11. 2004..Based on their demonstrated utility in establishing an immune response pathway, these PCR assays should be valuable additions to our swine immune toolkit...