Affiliation: Agricultural Research Service
- Improved synthesis of (3E,6Z,9Z)-1,3,6,9-nonadecatetraene, attraction inhibitor of bruce spanworm, Operophtera bruceata, to pheromone traps for monitoring winter moth, Operophtera brumataAshot Khrimian
USDA ARS, Invasive Insect Biocontrol and Behavior Laboratory, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Building 007, Room 301, 10300 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Agric Food Chem 58:1828-33. 2010..The last method benefitted from a refined TEMPO-mediated PhI(OAc)(2) oxidation of 4 and a two-carbon homologation of the corresponding aldehyde 7...
- Ring-fluorinated analog of methyl eugenol: attractiveness to and metabolism in the oriental fruit fly, Bactrocera dorsalis (Hendel)Ashot Khrimian
Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, USDA ARS, MD 20705, USA
J Chem Ecol 35:209-18. 2009..Flies that consumed the fluorine analog were as healthy post feeding as ones fed on methyl eugenol. In field trials, the fluorine analog I was approximately 50% less attractive to male B. dorsalis than ME...
- Biting deterrent activity of a deet analog, two DEPA analogs, and SS220 applied topically to human volunteers compared with deet against three species of blood-feeding fliesJerome A Klun
USDA ARS, BA, PSI, Chemical Affecting Insect Behavior Laboratory, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
J Med Entomol 43:1248-51. 2006..Ultimately, we surmise that in vivo testing methods with humans must be used to discriminate among compounds that superficially seem effective when screened using an in vitro method...
- Repellent and deterrent effects of SS220, Picaridin, and Deet suppress human blood feeding by Aedes aegypti, Anopheles stephensi, and Phlebotomus papatasiJerome A Klun
USDA-ARS, BA, PSI, Chemical Affecting Insect Behavior Laboratory, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
J Med Entomol 43:34-9. 2006..Moreover, protection afforded by Deet, SS220, and Picaridin against the feeding of these three disease vectors on humans is mechanistically a consequence of the two chemical effects...
- Consumption and metabolism of 1,2-dimethoxy-4-(3-fluoro-2-propenyl)benzene, a fluorine analog of methyl eugenol, in the oriental fruit fly Bactrocera dorsalis (Hendel)Ashot Khrimian
Chemicals Affecting Insect Behavior Laboratory, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, USDA ARS, MD 20705, USA
J Chem Ecol 32:1513-26. 2006..It also appears that fluorination overall impedes the metabolism: at high feed rate (10 mul per 10 males), the flies consumed in total more fluorine analog I than ME but were unable to metabolize it as efficiently as ME...
- Sex pheromone of browntail moth, Euproctis chrysorrhea (L.): synthesis and field deploymentAshot Khrimian
Invasive Insect Biocontrol and Behavior Laboratory, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:2452-6. 2008..It was found that traps baited with 250 microg of pheromone of 91-94% isomeric purity (main impurity presumably being the 13E isomer) on rubber septa are suitable for monitoring moth populations during the entire flight season...
- Improved synthesis and deployment of (2S,3R)-2-(2Z,5Z-octadienyl)-3-nonyloxirane, a pheromone of the pink moth, Lymantria mathuraAshot Khrimian
Chemicals Affecting Insect Behavior Laboratory, BARC West, PSI, ARS, USDA, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Agric Food Chem 52:2890-5. 2004..The 4:1 ratio of pheromone enantiomers, reportedly the most attractive to pink moth males, can be directly crafted from appropriately selected Sharpless asymmetric epoxidation conditions...
- Field trapping of the invasive brown marmorated stink bug, Halyomorpha halys, with geometric isomers of methyl 2,4,6-decatrienoateAshot Khrimian
Invasive Insect Biocontrol and Behavior Laboratory, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultureal Research Service, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:197-203. 2008..Because the pheromone of H. halys is unknown at present, lures containing methyl (2 E,4 E,6 Z)-decatrienoate without protection from daylight are suitable for monitoring populations of H. halys late in the season...
- Development of a host-based semiochemical lure for trapping emerald ash borer Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae)Damon J Crook
USDA APHIS PPQ, Pest Survey Detection and Exclusion Laboratory, Otis ANGB, MA 02542, USA
Environ Entomol 37:356-65. 2008..We hypothesize that the improved attractancy of Phoebe oil to A. planipennis over Manuka oil is caused by the presence of the antennally active sesquiterpene, 7-epi-sesquithujene...
- Syntheses of (Z,E)-5,7-dodecadienol and (E,Z)-10,12-hexadecadienol, lepidoptera pheromone components, via zinc reduction of enyne precursors. test of pheromone efficacy against the Siberian mothAshot Khrimian
USDA, ARS, PSI, Chemicals Affecting Insect Behavior Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Agric Food Chem 50:6366-70. 2002..Thus, if rubber septa are used as pheromone dispensers in Siberian moth traps monitoring, they should be replaced biweekly with fresh septa for optimal trap effectiveness...
- Field response of Mediterranean fruit flies to ceralure B1 relative to most active isomer and commercial formulation of trimedlureEric Jang
USDA ARS, U S Pacific Basin Agricultural Research Center, P O Box 4459, Hilo, HI 96720, USA
J Econ Entomol 103:1586-93. 2010..Although our results clearly show that ceralure B1 is a superior attractant to trimedlure, costs of synthesis need to be considered as part of an overall program management strategy...
- Methyl 2,4,6-decatrienoates attract Stink bugs and tachinid parasitoidsJeffrey R Aldrich
USDA ARS Chemicals Affecting Insect Behavior Laboratory, B 007, Rm 313, BARC West, Beltsville, MD, 20705, USA
J Chem Ecol 33:801-15. 2007..The evidence that some pentatomids exploit the pheromones of other true bugs as kairomones to find food or to congregate as a passive defense against tachinid parasitism is discussed...
- Synthesis and repellent efficacy of a new chiral piperidine analog: comparison with Deet and Bayrepel activity in human-volunteer laboratory assays against Aedes aegypti and Anopheles stephensiJerome A Klun
USDA-ARS, PSI, Chemicals Affecting Insect Behavior Laboratory, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
J Med Entomol 40:293-9. 2003..stephensi. Based on the ease of its synthetic preparation and its repellent efficacy, we surmise that SS220 is a candidate to serve as a new and effective alternate repellent for protection against arthropod disease vectors...
- Absolute configuration of 7-epi-sesquithujeneAshot Khrimian
Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Bldg 007, Rm 326, BARC West, 10300 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Nat Prod 74:1414-20. 2011..Based on the specific rotation, stereoselective syntheses, and chiral GC analyses, 7-epi-sesquithujene present in phoebe oil and white ash was found to have the 2S,6S,7R absolute configuration...