N L Keim
Affiliation: Agricultural Research Service
- Relation between circulating leptin concentrations and appetite during a prolonged, moderate energy deficit in womenN L Keim
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Western Human Nutrition Research Center, San Francisco, CA 94129, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 68:794-801. 1998..On the basis of observations in rodents, leptin is thought to play a key role in the regulation of energy expenditure and food intake, but less is known of its influence on ingestive behavior and energy balance in humans...
- Restrained eating behavior and the metabolic response to dietary energy restriction in womenNancy L Keim
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Obes Res 12:141-9. 2004..To determine whether prior eating behavior characterized by dietary restraint alters responses in energy expenditure and substrate oxidation associated with a short-term, energy-restricted diet...
- Influence of cognitive eating restraint on total-body measurements of bone mineral density and bone mineral content in premenopausal women aged 18-45 y: a cross-sectional studyM D Van Loan
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service Western Human Nutrition Research Center, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 72:837-43. 2000..We examined the relation between cognitive eating restraint (CER) and total-body measurements of bone mineral density (BMD) and bone mineral content (BMC)...
- Low bone mass in premenopausal chronic dieting obese womenL Bacon
Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 58:966-71. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: Obese restrained eaters are at risk for low bone mass. Prior dieting may be responsible. Chronic dieters should be encouraged to decrease their dietary restraint, develop healthy eating habits and increase physical activity...
- Glycemic index, cholecystokinin, satiety and disinhibition: is there an unappreciated paradox for overweight women?B M Burton-Freeman
Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis, CA, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 32:1647-54. 2008..The clinical utility of a low glycemic index (LGI) diet for appetite and food intake control is controversial. Complicating the issue are psychological and behavioral influences related to eating...
- Consuming fructose-sweetened, not glucose-sweetened, beverages increases visceral adiposity and lipids and decreases insulin sensitivity in overweight/obese humansKimber L Stanhope
Department of Molecular Biosciences, UCD, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Clin Invest 119:1322-34. 2009..These data suggest that dietary fructose specifically increases DNL, promotes dyslipidemia, decreases insulin sensitivity, and increases visceral adiposity in overweight/obese adults...
- Dietary selenium intake modulates thyroid hormone and energy metabolism in menWayne Chris Hawkes
U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Western Human Nutrition Research Center and Department of Nutrition, University of California at Davis, Davis, CA, USA
J Nutr 133:3443-8. 2003..Increases of serum T3 and serum triacylglycerol accompanied by losses of body fat suggest that a subclinical hyperthyroid response was induced in the low selenium group, leading to body weight decreases...
- High-selenium yeast supplementation in free-living North American men: no effect on thyroid hormone metabolism or body compositionWayne Chris Hawkes
Western Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, University of California at Davis, 430 West Health Sciences Drive, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Trace Elem Med Biol 22:131-42. 2008....
- Consumption of fructose-sweetened beverages for 10 weeks reduces net fat oxidation and energy expenditure in overweight/obese men and womenC L Cox
Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 66:201-8. 2012....
- Evaluating a 'non-diet' wellness intervention for improvement of metabolic fitness, psychological well-being and eating and activity behaviorsL Bacon
Department of Nutrition, University of California at Davis, Davis, California, USA
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26:854-65. 2002..Others advocate an alternative, 'non-diet' approach which emphasizes eating in response to physiological cues (eg hunger and satiety) and enhancing body acceptance...
- Size acceptance and intuitive eating improve health for obese, female chronic dietersLinda Bacon
Agricultural Experiment Station, University of California, Davis, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 105:929-36. 2005..Examine a model that encourages health at every size as opposed to weight loss. The health at every size concept supports homeostatic regulation and eating intuitively (ie, in response to internal cues of hunger, satiety, and appetite)...
- Twenty-four-hour endocrine and metabolic profiles following consumption of high-fructose corn syrup-, sucrose-, fructose-, and glucose-sweetened beverages with mealsKimber L Stanhope
Department of Molecular Biosciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Davis, CA 95616 8669, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 87:1194-203. 2008..However, pure fructose and glucose are not commonly used as sweeteners. High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) has replaced sucrose as the predominant sweetener in beverages in the United States...
- Consumption of fructose-sweetened beverages for 10 weeks increases postprandial triacylglycerol and apolipoprotein-B concentrations in overweight and obese womenMichael M Swarbrick
Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Br J Nutr 100:947-52. 2008....
- Postprandial monocyte activation in response to meals with high and low glycemic loads in overweight womenDeborah D Motton
Division of Endocrinology, Clinical Nutrition, and Vascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 85:60-5. 2007..Recent data show that atherosclerosis is initiated and perpetuated by inflammatory events. Activation of immune cells such as monocytes initiates inflammation, a key step in atherosclerosis...
- Less-energy-dense diets of low-income women in California are associated with higher energy-adjusted diet costsMarilyn S Townsend
Nutrition Department, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 89:1220-6. 2009..US-based studies are needed to estimate the relation, if any, between diet quality and estimated diet costs...
- In polycystic ovary syndrome, adrenal steroids are regulated differently in the morning versus in response to nutrient intakeDumindra Gurusinghe
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Clinical Nutrition and Vascular Medicine, The University of California at Davis, Davis, California, USA
Fertil Steril 93:1192-9. 2010..To investigate adrenal steroid regulation in polycystic ovary syndrome...
- Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on fatty acid and glycerol kineticsK L Zambell
USDA/Western Human Nutrition Research Center, Department of Exercise Science, University of California, Davis 95616, USA
Lipids 36:767-72. 2001..2 +/- 4.2% at rest and 32.1 +/- 3.44% during exercise. Four weeks of CLA supplementation had no significant effect on fatty acid or glycerol metabolism in healthy, weight-stable, adult women...
- America's obesity epidemic: measuring physical activity to promote an active lifestyleNancy L Keim
U.S. Departmernt of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Western Human Nutrition Research Center, Davis, CA, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 104:1398-409. 2004..Additionally, tools for estimating total energy expenditure, resting metabolic rate, and physical activity are evaluated and suitable approaches for applying these tools are provided...
- Dietary fructose reduces circulating insulin and leptin, attenuates postprandial suppression of ghrelin, and increases triglycerides in womenKaren L Teff
Monell Chemical Senses Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2963-72. 2004....