Gerald F Combs
Affiliation: Agricultural Research Service
- Differential responses to selenomethionine supplementation by sex and genotype in healthy adultsGerald F Combs
Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, USDA ARS, 2420 2nd Avenue North, Stop 9034, Grand Forks, ND 58202 9034, USA
Br J Nutr 107:1514-25. 2012..In a cohort of relatively high Se status, the Se intake (as SeMet) required to support plasma Se concentration at a target level (Se(pl-target)) is: Se(in) = [(Se(pl - target) - Se(pl))/(18.2ng d kg⁰.⁷⁵/ml per mu g)] ...
- Apparent efficacy of food-based calcium supplementation in preventing rickets in BangladeshGerald F Combs
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Biol Trace Elem Res 121:193-204. 2008..These results are consistent with even the lowest amount of supplemental Ca (50 mg/day) being useful in supporting normal bone development in this high-risk population...
- Effects of selenomethionine supplementation on selenium status and thyroid hormone concentrations in healthy adultsGerald F Combs
Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks, ND 55202, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 89:1808-14. 2009..The effects of long-term selenium supplementation on thyroid hormone concentrations are unknown...
- Determinants of selenium status in healthy adultsGerald F Combs
Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, USDA ARS, Grand Forks, ND, USA
Nutr J 10:75. 2011..A more informative means of characterizing Se status in non-deficient individuals is needed...
- Calcium homeostasis and bone metabolic responses to high-protein diets during energy deficit in healthy young adults: a randomized controlled trialJay J Cao
USDA, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND JJC, LDW, and GFC the Military Nutrition Division, US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Natick, MA SMP, LMM, JPM, and AJY and the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND ERS
Am J Clin Nutr 99:400-7. 2014..Although consuming dietary protein above current recommendations during energy deficit (ED) preserves lean body mass, concerns have been raised regarding the effects of high-protein diets on bone health...
- Fatty liver accompanies an increase in lactobacillus species in the hind gut of C57BL/6 mice fed a high-fat dietHuawei Zeng
USDA, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND, USA
J Nutr 143:627-31. 2013..Because bile acids are regulators of hepatic lipid metabolism, the marked increase of gut L. gasseri and/or L. taiwanensis species bacteria with HF feeding may play a role in development of steatohepatitis in this model...
- Chemical form of selenium affects its uptake, transport, and glutathione peroxidase activity in the human intestinal Caco-2 cell modelHuawei Zeng
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, P O Box 9034, Grand Forks, ND 58203, USA
Biol Trace Elem Res 143:1209-18. 2011....
- Biomarkers in nutrition: new frontiers in research and applicationGerald F Combs
Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks, ND, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1278:1-10. 2013..Many nutritional biomarkers are available; yet there has been no formal mechanism to establish consensus regarding the optimal biomarkers for particular nutrients and applications...
- Selenium and anticarcinogenesis: underlying mechanismsMatthew I Jackson
Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, USDA ARS, Grand Forks, North Dakota 58202 9034, USA
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 11:718-26. 2008..To discuss recent research related to anticarcinogenic mechanisms of selenium action in light of the underlying chemical/biochemical functions of the selenium species, likely to be executors of those effects...
- Selenium as an anticancer nutrient: roles in cell proliferation and tumor cell invasionHuawei Zeng
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, P O Box 9034, Grand Forks, ND 58202 9034, USA
J Nutr Biochem 19:1-7. 2008..This article reviews the status of knowledge concerning selenium metabolism and its anticancer effects with particular reference to the modulation of cell proliferation and the inhibition of tumor cell invasion...
- Plasma and breast-milk selenium in HIV-infected Malawian mothers are positively associated with infant selenium status but are not associated with maternal supplementation: results of the Breastfeeding, Antiretrovirals, and Nutrition studyValerie L Flax
Carolina Population Center VLF, MEB, EJD, and LSA, Departments of Nutrition VLF, MEB, and LSA and Biostatistics EJD, and Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine AF and CMvdH, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC the USDA Agriculture Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND GFC the University of North Carolina Project, Lilongwe, Malawi CSC, D Kayira, GT, and D Kamwendo the Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Witwatersrand, Parktown, South Africa CSC and the US CDC, Atlanta, GA APK and DJJ
Am J Clin Nutr 99:950-6. 2014..In Malawi, low soil selenium and dietary intakes coupled with low plasma selenium concentrations in HIV infection could have negative consequences for the health of HIV-infected mothers and their exclusively breastfed infants...
- Selenium in bone health: roles in antioxidant protection and cell proliferationHuawei Zeng
Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Grand Forks, ND 58202, USA
Nutrients 5:97-110. 2013..This article reviews the current knowledge concerning the molecular functions of Se relevant to bone health...
- S-adenosylmethionine-dependent protein methylation is required for expression of selenoprotein P and gluconeogenic enzymes in HepG2 human hepatocytesMatthew I Jackson
Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Grand Forks, North Dakota 58203, USA
J Biol Chem 287:36455-64. 2012....
- Mechanistic aspects of the interaction between selenium and arsenicHuawei Zeng
Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, United States Department of Agriculture, 2420, 2nd Avenue, Grand Forks, ND 58202 9034, USA
J Inorg Biochem 99:1269-74. 2005..This article focuses on these proposed mechanisms and how anti-carcinogenic effects of selenium may be affected by arsenic...
- Effects of the physical form of the diet on food intake, growth, and body composition changes in miceLin Yan
Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, US Department of Agriculture, Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA
J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci 50:488-94. 2011..These results demonstrate that C57BL/6 mice responded to the physical form of these diets in terms of food intake, which affected their growth, body composition, and plasma concentrations of insulin and adipocytokines...
- Current evidence and research needs to support a health claim for selenium and cancer preventionGerald F Combs
Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, U S Department of Agriculture ARS, Grand Forks, ND, USA
J Nutr 135:343-7. 2005....
- Selenium supplementation and secondary prevention of nonmelanoma skin cancer in a randomized trialAnna J Duffield-Lillico
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:1477-81. 2003....
- The nutritional prevention of cancer: 400 mcg per day selenium treatmentMary E Reid
Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
Nutr Cancer 60:155-63. 2008..The 200-mcg/day Se treatment decreased total cancer incidence by a statistically significant 25%; however, 400-mcg/day of Se had no effect on total cancer incidence...
- Effects of long-term selenium supplementation on the incidence of type 2 diabetes: a randomized trialSaverio Stranges
State University of New York at Buffalo and Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York, USA
Ann Intern Med 147:217-23. 2007..Findings from animal models suggest that selenium supplementation improves glucose metabolism...
- Efficacy of increasing the therapeutic index of irinotecan, plasma and tissue selenium concentrations is methylselenocysteine dose dependentRami G Azrak
Department of Cancer Biology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, Buffalo, NY, United States
Biochem Pharmacol 73:1280-7. 2007..Intratumoral total Se concentration was not found to be predictive of the combination therapy response rates. There is a critical need to develop a method to measure the active metabolite of MSC, rather than total Se...
- Baseline characteristics and the effect of selenium supplementation on cancer incidence in a randomized clinical trial: a summary report of the Nutritional Prevention of Cancer TrialAnna J Duffield-Lillico
Arizona Cancer Center, Tucson, Arizona 85724 5024, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 11:630-9. 2002..This treatment effect was restricted to males and to those with lower baseline plasma selenium concentrations...
- Effects of dietary selenium supplementation on DNA damage and apoptosis in canine prostateDavid J Waters
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:237-41. 2003..7 (interquartile range = 0.2-2.8) for the control dogs ( P =.04, Mann-Whitney U test). These data suggest that dietary selenium supplementation decreases DNA damage and increases epithelial cell apoptosis within the aging canine prostate...
- Rhesus monkey simian immunodeficiency virus infection as a model for assessing the role of selenium in AIDSXue Ming Xu
Section on the Molecular Biology of Selenium, Basic Research Laboratory, National Cancer Institute NIH, Building 37, Room 2D09, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 31:453-63. 2002....
- Peripartum cardiomyopathy: a selenium disconnection and an autoimmune connectionJames D Fett
Department of Adult Medicine, Hospital Albert Schweitzer, Deschapelles, Haiti
Int J Cardiol 86:311-6. 2002..This report details results of initial studies to test the hypothesis that plasma levels of Se and/or other micronutrients may be related to PPCM risk in this population...
- Effects of topical L-selenomethionine with topical and oral vitamin E on pigmentation and skin cancer induced by ultraviolet irradiation in Skh:2 hairless miceKaren E Burke
Department of Biostatistics, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 49:458-72. 2003..The antioxidants selenium and vitamin E can be effective in reducing acute and chronic ultraviolet (UV)-induced skin damage...
- The effects of dietary vitamin E and selenium deficiencies on plasma thyroid and thymic hormone concentrations in the chickenWan Pin Chang
Protein Studies Program, Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Dev Comp Immunol 29:265-73. 2005..From these studies, we conclude that plasma thymulin concentrations directly correlate with plasma T(3) concentrations which are negatively affected by a Se deficiency...
- Prostate cancer risk and DNA damage: translational significance of selenium supplementation in a canine modelDavid J Waters
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Carcinogenesis 26:1256-62. 2005....
- Superior in vivo inhibitory efficacy of methylseleninic acid against human prostate cancer over selenomethionine or seleniteGuang Xun Li
Hormel Institute, University of Minnesota, 801 16th Avenue Northeast, Austin, MN 55912, USA
Carcinogenesis 29:1005-12. 2008..In summary, our data demonstrated superior in vivo growth inhibitory efficacy of MSeA over SeMet and selenite, against two human PCa xenograft models without the genotoxic property of selenite...
- History of Interdepartmental Committee on Nutrition for National Defense: course of events and nutrition methodology in typical surveysGerald F Combs
University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS, USA
J Nutr 135:1263-5. 2005..During the Ecuador survey, Combs and Wolfe obtained similar results with the recipe, the food composite, and the 24-h recall methods in the same 28 families...
- Effects of selenium supplementation on cardiovascular disease incidence and mortality: secondary analyses in a randomized clinical trialSaverio Stranges
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
Am J Epidemiol 163:694-9. 2006..These findings indicate no overall effect of selenium supplementation on the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in this population...