Perng Kuang Chang
Affiliation: Agricultural Research Service
- Chang P, Scharfenstein L, Ehrlich K, Wei Q, Bhatnagar D, Ingber B. Effects of laeA deletion on Aspergillus flavus conidial development and hydrophobicity may contribute to loss of aflatoxin production. Fungal Biol. 2012;116:298-307 pubmed publisher..The loss of hydrophobicity and the other developmental changes in the laeA deletion mutants could affect the ability of the fungus to produce aflatoxins...
- Chang P, Scharfenstein L, Wei Q, Bhatnagar D. Development and refinement of a high-efficiency gene-targeting system for Aspergillus flavus. J Microbiol Methods. 2010;81:240-6 pubmed publisher..The improvement allowed gene manipulation using the reusable pyrG marker as shown by the restoration of laeA-mediated aflatoxin production in an A. flavus laeA-deleted mutant. ..
- Chang P, Horn B, Dorner J. Clustered genes involved in cyclopiazonic acid production are next to the aflatoxin biosynthesis gene cluster in Aspergillus flavus. Fungal Genet Biol. 2009;46:176-82 pubmed publisher..flavus strain. Therefore, some of the CPA biosynthesis genes are organized in a mini-gene cluster that is next to the aflatoxin gene cluster in A. flavus...
- Chang P, Scharfenstein L, Luo M, Mahoney N, Molyneux R, Yu J, et al. Loss of msnA, a putative stress regulatory gene, in Aspergillus parasiticus and Aspergillus flavus increased production of conidia, aflatoxins and kojic acid. Toxins (Basel). 2011;3:82-104 pubmed publisher..flavus. The msnA gene appears to be required for the maintenance of the normal oxidative state. The impairment of msnA resulted in the aforementioned changes, which might be used to combat the increased oxidative stress in the cells. ..
- Chang P, Scharfenstein L, Ehrlich K, Diana Di Mavungu J. The Aspergillus flavus fluP-associated metabolite promotes sclerotial production. Fungal Biol. 2016;120:1258-68 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that FluP polyketide synthase is involved in the synthesis of a diffusible metabolite that could serve as a signal molecule to regulate sclerotiogenesis. ..
- Chang P, Scharfenstein L, Li R, Arroyo Manzanares N, De Saeger S, Diana Di Mavungu J. Aspergillus flavus aswA, a gene homolog of Aspergillus nidulans oefC, regulates sclerotial development and biosynthesis of sclerotium-associated secondary metabolites. Fungal Genet Biol. 2017;104:29-37 pubmed publisher..Impairment in aswA gene function stalls normal sclerotial development, which in turn prevents biosynthesis and accumulation of sclerotium-specific metabolites. ..
- Cary J, Harris Coward P, Scharfenstein L, Mack B, Chang P, Wei Q, et al. The Aspergillus flavus Homeobox Gene, hbx1, is Required for Development and Aflatoxin Production. Toxins (Basel). 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that hbx1 not only plays a significant role in controlling A. flavus development but is also critical for the production of secondary metabolites, such as aflatoxins. ..
- Chang P, Ehrlich K. What does genetic diversity of Aspergillus flavus tell us about Aspergillus oryzae?. Int J Food Microbiol. 2010;138:189-99 pubmed publisher..flavus and A. oryzae genomes, the genetic diversity in A. flavus and A. oryzae populations, the causes of this diversity, and the relatedness of nonaflatoxigenic A. flavus strains to A. oryzae...