Shanthy A Bowman
Affiliation: Agricultural Research Service
- A comparison of low-carbohydrate vs. high-carbohydrate diets: energy restriction, nutrient quality and correlation to body mass indexShanthy A Bowman
U S Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Maryland 20703 2350, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 21:268-74. 2002..To evaluate free-living adults' diets that ranged from very low to high amounts of carbohydrate for their energy content, nutritional quality and correlation to Body Mass Index...
- Pediatrician's office: a solution in the prevention of childhood obesityShanthy A Bowman
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Beltsville, MD 20705 2530, USA
Acta Paediatr 94:652-4. 2005..Conclusion: Pediatricians may play a role in childhood obesity prevention interventions by helping mothers understand growth charts and by providing mothers with appropriate nutrition guidance for planning a balanced diet...
- Socioeconomic characteristics, dietary and lifestyle patterns, and health and weight status of older adults in NHANES, 1999-2002: a comparison of Caucasians and African AmericansShanthy A Bowman
USDA, Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, Beltsville, Maryland, USA
J Nutr Elder 28:30-46. 2009..About 75 % of African American women were overweight. Our findings indicate that for those greater than 65 years of age, low-income African Americans are at a greater risk for poor nutrition and chronic health conditions than Caucasians...
- Beverage choices of young females: changes and impact on nutrient intakesShanthy A Bowman
USDA Agricultural Research Service, 10300 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 102:1234-9. 2002..To examine trends in beverage consumption and evaluate the impact of beverage choices on the nutrient intakes of females ages 12 to 19 years...
- Fast food consumption of U.S. adults: impact on energy and nutrient intakes and overweight statusShanthy A Bowman
Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, U S Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville, Maryland 20705 2350, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 23:163-8. 2004..To compare the diet quality and overweight status of free-living adults, ages 20 years and older, grouped based on their fast food intake status...
- Television-viewing characteristics of adults: correlations to eating practices and overweight and health statusShanthy A Bowman
Agricultural Research Service, Community Nutrition Research Group, Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, United States Department of Agriculture, BARC West, Beltsville, MD 20705 2350, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 3:A38. 2006..The purpose of this study was to examine the associations among television viewing, eating practices, and overweight and health status of a nationally representative sample of adults in the United States...
- Effects of fast-food consumption on energy intake and diet quality among children in a national household surveyShanthy A Bowman
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville, Maryland, USA
Pediatrics 113:112-8. 2004..The aim of this study was to test the hypothesis that fast-food consumption adversely affects dietary factors linked to obesity risk...