Affiliation: Adelphi University
- Intimate partner violence is as important as client violence in increasing street-based female sex workers' vulnerability to HIV in IndiaSubadra Panchanadeswaran
Adelphi University School of Social Work, Garden City, New York, NY, USA
Int J Drug Policy 19:106-12. 2008..This study documents street-based female sex workers' experiences of client and intimate partners, examines the intersections of violence, alcohol use in condom use, and highlights survival strategies used to avert harm...
- An examination of the perceived social support levels of women in methadone maintenance treatment programs who experience various forms of intimate partner violenceSubadra Panchanadeswaran
Adelphi University School of Social Work, Garden City, NY 11530, USA
Womens Health Issues 18:35-43. 2008..Intimate partner violence (IPV) has emerged as a serious problem among women in drug treatment programs. Research has underscored the importance of social support for abused women as well as women who use substances...
- Profiling abusive men based on women's self-reports: findings from a sample of urban low-income minority womenSubadra Panchanadeswaran
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530, USA
Violence Against Women 16:313-27. 2010..Findings provided support for recognizing batterer heterogeneity, especially based on women's reports. Recommendations for future research and the limitations of using batterer typologies are discussed...
- Intimate partner violence and consistent condom use among drug-using heterosexual women in New York CitySubadra Panchanadeswaran
Adelphi University, School of Social Work, Garden City, New York 11530, USA
Women Health 50:107-24. 2010..The findings suggest that future interventions aiming at reducing HIV risk among drug-using women should focus on women's subjective appraisals of risks based on key relationship factors in addition to the occurrence of partner violence...
- A descriptive profile of abused female sex workers in IndiaSubadra Panchanadeswaran
Adelphi University School of Social Work, 1 South Avenue, Garden City, New York, NY 11530, USA
J Health Popul Nutr 28:211-20. 2010..Recognition of multiple identities of women in the contexts of intimate relationships versus sex work is vital in helping women to stay safe from adverse effects on health...
- How discrimination and stress affects self-esteem among Dominican immigrant women: an exploratory studySubadra Panchanadeswaran
School of Social Work, Adelphi University, Garden City, New York, USA
Soc Work Public Health 26:60-77. 2011....
- The voices of battered women in IndiaSubadra Panchanadeswaran
Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA
Violence Against Women 11:736-58. 2005..Respondents in this study sought help from a range of sources; the most effective help was provided by counseling centers and women's shelters. These findings have important implications for clinical practice and social policy...
- Predicting the timing of women's departure from abusive relationshipsSubadra Panchanadeswaran
Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Interpers Violence 22:50-65. 2007..Further outreach, especially to women experiencing high rates of physical aggression, is recommended...