- Hospitalized children with pneumonia in Uruguay: pre and post introduction of 7 and 13-valent pneumococcal conjugated vaccines into the National Immunization ProgramMaria Hortal
Basic Sciences Program, PNUD National University, Hidalgos 532, Montevideo CEP 11300, Uruguay
Vaccine 30:4934-8. 2012..Objective: To compare the incidence of consolidated pneumonia hospitalization in children less than five years of age before and after pneumococcal conjugate vaccine implementation...
- Ten-year review of invasive pneumococcal diseases in children and adults from Uruguay: clinical spectrum, serotypes, and antimicrobial resistanceM Hortal
Departamento de Laboratorios de Salud, Ministerio de Salud Publica, Uruguay
Int J Infect Dis 4:91-5. 2000..The purpose of the present study was to retrospectively analyze a 10-year collection of invasive S. pneumoniae isolates from children 5 to 14 years of age and adults...
- [Impact of Streptococcus pneumoniae on pneumonia in Latin American children. SIREVA-Vigía Group]M Hortal
Departamento Laboratorios de Salud Pública, Montevideo, Uruguay
Rev Panam Salud Publica 8:185-95. 2000..A decrease in susceptibility to chloramphenicol was uncommon, except in Colombia, where there was a resistance level of 23.4%. Resistance to erythromycin was low in all the countries, and all the isolates were susceptible to vancomycin...
- Antibiotic resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae in six Latin American countries: 1993-1999 surveillanceM Hortal
Departamento Materno infantil y Laboratorio de Salud Pública, Ministerio de Salud, Montevideo, Uruguay
Microb Drug Resist 7:391-401. 2001..High levels of antibiotic resistance in Latin America emphasize the need for the development of and adherence to rational antibiotic use guidelines. On-going surveillance will monitor the impact of these programs...
- A population-based assessment of the disease burden of consolidated pneumonia in hospitalized children under five years of ageMaria Hortal
Ministry of Health, Maternal and Child Health Program, Bv Artigas 1550, Montevideo 11600, Uruguay
Int J Infect Dis 11:273-7. 2007..Therefore, our study aimed to estimate the burden of pneumonia in hospitalized children...
- Pneumococcal pneumonia in hospitalized Uruguayan children and potential prevention with different vaccine formulationsMaria Hortal
National Child Health Program, Ministry of Health, Children s Hospital, Montevideo, Uruguay
J Pediatr 152:850-3. 2008..To provide information on pneumococcal pneumonias, on their associated serotypes, and to estimate the coverage potentially afforded by antipneumococcal vaccines...
- Impact of pneumococcal conjugate vaccines on the incidence of pneumonia in hospitalized children after five years of its introduction in uruguayMaria Hortal
Basic Sciences Development, National University, Montevideo, Uruguay
PLoS ONE 9:e98567. 2014..The aim of this study is to compare the incidence rates for hospitalized pneumonia in children from the pre PCV introduction period and the following five years of PCVs application in Uruguay...