Affiliation: University of Toronto
- Estimates of global and regional smoking prevalence in 1995, by age and sexPrabhat Jha
World Bank, Washington, DC, USA
Am J Public Health 92:1002-6. 2002..We calculated regional and sex- and age-specific smoking prevalence estimates worldwide in 1995...
- Advancement of global health: key messages from the Disease Control Priorities ProjectRamanan Laxminarayan
Resources for the Future, 1616 P Street NW Suite 600, Washington, DC 20036, USA
Lancet 367:1193-208. 2006..DCP2 also examines crosscutting issues crucial to the delivery of quality health services, including the organisation, financial support, and capacity of health systems. Here, we summarise the key messages of the project...
- Reducing the burden of smoking world-wide: effectiveness of interventions and their coveragePrabhat Jha
Centre for Global Health Research, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Canada
Drug Alcohol Rev 25:597-609. 2006..A description of the types and comprehensiveness of policies currently in place and a discussion of some of the factors correlated with the strength and comprehensive of these policies follows...
- Body mass index, sexual behaviour, and sexually transmitted infections: an analysis using the NHANES 1999-2000 dataNico J D Nagelkerke
Department of Community Medicine, United Arab Emirates University, Al Ain, UAE
BMC Public Health 6:199. 2006..Being obese is commonly associated with a reduced physical attractiveness but the associations between body mass index, sexual behaviour and the risk of acquiring sexually transmitted infections has never been studied...
- Commentary: Reliable measurement of the causes of mortality in developing countriesPrabhat Jha
Centre for Global Health Research, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital and Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Epidemiol 36:651-3. 2007
- Sexual risk factors for HIV infection in early and advanced HIV epidemics in sub-Saharan Africa: systematic overview of 68 epidemiological studiesLi Chen
Centre for Global Health Research, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 2:e1001. 2007..It is commonly assumed that sexual risk factors for heterosexual HIV transmission in sub-Saharan Africa, such as multi-partner sex, paid sex and co-infections, become less important as HIV epidemics mature and prevalence increases...
- Poverty and chronic diseases in Asia: challenges and opportunitiesPrabhat Jha
Centre for Global Health Research, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 177:1059-62. 2007
- A scandal of invisibility: making everyone count by counting everyonePhilip W Setel
Lancet 370:1569-77. 2007
- The way forwardCarla AbouZahr
Health Metrics Network, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 370:1791-9. 2007....
- A nationally representative case-control study of smoking and death in IndiaPrabhat Jha
Centre for Global Health Research, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 358:1137-47. 2008..The nationwide effects of smoking on mortality in India have not been assessed reliably...
- Social inequalities in male mortality, and in male mortality from smoking: indirect estimation from national death rates in England and Wales, Poland, and North AmericaPrabhat Jha
Centre for Global Health Research, St Michael s Hospital, Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto M5C1N8, Canada
Lancet 368:367-70. 2006..Smoking is often more prevalent among men of lower social class, education, or income. The contribution of smoking to these social inequalities in mortality remains uncertain...
- Improving the health of the global poorPrabhat Jha
World Health Organization WHO, Geneva 01220, Switzerland
Science 295:2036-9. 2002..Such a program is feasible and would avoid millions of child, maternal, and adult deaths annually in poor countries...
- Trends in HIV-1 in young adults in south India from 2000 to 2004: a prevalence studyRajesh Kumar
School of Public Health, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Lancet 367:1164-72. 2006..To estimate incidence, we investigated the prevalence of HIV-1 in young people attending antenatal and sexually transmitted infection (STI) clinics in India...
- Mother-to-child HIV transmission and ARVsSake J de Vlas
Science 298:2129. 2002
- Smoking and mortality from tuberculosis and other diseases in India: retrospective study of 43000 adult male deaths and 35000 controlsVendhan Gajalakshmi
Epidemiological Research Center, New No 37 Outer Circular Road, KG Colony, Chennai 600 010, India
Lancet 362:507-15. 2003..The study objective was to assess age-specific mortality from smoking among men (since few women smoke) in urban and in rural India...
- Weapons of mass salvation: Canada's role in improving the health of the global poorPrabhat Jha
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 170:66-7. 2004
- Evidence for global healthPrabhat Jha
Centre for Global Health Research, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, 70 Richmond Street East, 3rd Floor, Toronto, Ontario M5C 1N8, Canada
CMAJ 170:1687-8. 2004
- Household tobacco and alcohol use, and child health: an exploratory study from IndiaSekhar Bonu
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Health Policy 70:67-83. 2004..Policies and programs for child survival may also need to incorporate strategies to control household tobacco and alcohol use in addition to other ongoing interventions...
- Does use of tobacco or alcohol contribute to impoverishment from hospitalization costs in India?Sekhar Bonu
South Asian Regional Department, Asian Development Bank, PO Box 789, 0980 Manila, Philippines
Health Policy Plan 20:41-9. 2005..It might be necessary to include strategies for control of tobacco and alcohol in the larger framework of poverty reduction...
- Smoking and premature mortality: reflections on the contributions of Sir Richard DollPrabhat Jha
Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Centre for Global Health Research, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 173:476-7. 2005
- Prospective study of one million deaths in India: rationale, design, and validation resultsPrabhat Jha
Centre for Global Health Research, Public Health Sciences, St Michael s Hospital, McLaughlin Centre for Molecular Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
PLoS Med 3:e18. 2006..We report here on the rationale, design, and implementation of the world's largest prospective study of the causes and correlates of mortality...
- Trends in HIV incidence in India from 2000 to 2007Paul Arora
Lancet 372:289-90. 2008