Pedro A Ferchmin
Affiliation: University of Puerto Rico
- Spermine is neuroprotective against anoxia and N-methyl-D-aspartate in hippocampal slicesP A Ferchmin
Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, Department of Biochemistry, Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine, Bayamon, USA
Brain Res 859:273-9. 2000..In addition, several noxious stimuli trigger the release of intracellular spermine and could raise local levels of spermine. Therefore, it is possible that spermine has a neuroprotective role in vivo...
- Tobacco cembranoids block behavioral sensitization to nicotine and inhibit neuronal acetylcholine receptor functionP A Ferchmin
Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, Universidad Central del Caribe, Bayamon, 00960 6032, Puerto Rico
J Neurosci Res 64:18-25. 2001..IC(50) values were in the submicromolar to low-micromolar range, with 4R displaying an order of magnitude higher potency than its diastereoisomer, 4S...
- Nicotinic receptors differentially regulate N-methyl-D-aspartate damage in acute hippocampal slicesP A Ferchmin
Department of Biochemistry, Universidad Central del Caribe, P O Box 60 327, Bayamon, Puerto Rico 00960 6032
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 305:1071-8. 2003....
- Tobacco cembranoids protect the function of acute hippocampal slices against NMDA by a mechanism mediated by alpha4beta2 nicotinic receptorsP A Ferchmin
Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, Universidad Central del Caribe, Bayamon, Puerto Rico
J Neurosci Res 82:631-41. 2005..In conclusion, these findings demonstrate that there are two different nicotinic neuroprotective mechanisms mediated by alpha4beta2...
- Protective activity of (1S,2E,4R,6R,7E,11E)-2,7,11-cembratriene-4,6-diol analogues against diisopropylfluorophosphate neurotoxicity: preliminary structure-activity relationship and pharmacophore modelingVesna A Eterovic
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Universidad Central del Caribe, Bayamon, PR 00960, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 21:4678-86. 2013..A pharmacophore model consisting of 1 hydrogen bond acceptor (HBA), 2 Hbic, and 10 exclusion spheres was established using HipHop-REFINE and supported the above mentioned pharmacophoric hypothesis...
- Actions of octocoral and tobacco cembranoids on nicotinic receptorsP A Ferchmin
Department of Biochemistry, Universidad Central del Caribe, Bayamon, PR, USA
Toxicon 54:1174-82. 2009..In addition, cembranoids are known to act as anti-tumor compounds. In conclusion, cembranoids provide a promising source of lead drugs for many clinical areas, including neuroprotection, smoking-cessation, and anti-cancer therapies...
- Gene expression is differentially regulated by neurotransmitters in embryonic neuronal cortical cultureCristina A Ghiani
Mental Retardation Research Center, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7332, USA
J Neurochem 97:35-43. 2006..Nicotine effects on immature cortical neurons perhaps do not require gene regulation but may be still acting on signalling pathways...
- Genetic program of neuronal differentiation and growth induced by specific activation of NMDA receptorsCristina A Ghiani
Mental Retardation Research Center, Jane and Terry Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behaviour, Department of Neurobiology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Neurochem Res 32:363-76. 2007....