Affiliation: United Nations Children's Fund
- A life course approach to diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseasesI Darnton-Hill
Institute of Human Nutrition, Columbia University, New York, USA
Public Health Nutr 7:101-21. 2004..To briefly review the current understanding of the aetiology and prevention of chronic diseases using a life course approach, demonstrating the life-long influences on the development of disease...
- Public health nutrition and genetics: implications for nutrition policy and promotionIan Darnton-Hill
Institute of Human Nutrition, Columbia University, PH15 East Room 1512, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Proc Nutr Soc 63:173-85. 2004..At the same time, greatly increased international efforts are needed towards the continuing, and in some cases worsening, global malnutrition, as genetic manipulation of crops is unlikely to provide more than part of the solution...
- Micronutrient deficiencies and gender: social and economic costsIan Darnton-Hill
UNICEF Nutrition Section and Institute of Human Nutrition, Columbia
Am J Clin Nutr 81:1198S-1205S. 2005....
- Sustaining vitamin A supplementation requires a new visionNita Dalmiya
UNICEF Nutrition Section, New York City, NY 10017, USA
Lancet 368:1052-4. 2006
- Fortification strategies to meet micronutrient needs: successes and failuresIan Darnton-Hill
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Proc Nutr Soc 61:231-41. 2002..Food fortification based on sound principles and supported by clear policies and regulations can play an increasingly large role in this progress towards prevention and control of micronutrient malnutrition...
- Responding to the crisis in sub-Saharan Africa: the role of nutritionMickey Chopra
Health Systems Research Unit, Medical Research Council of South Africa, School of Public Health, University of the Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa
Public Health Nutr 9:544-50. 2006..It concludes by suggesting some responses that nutritionists could now be making...
- Age and gender as factors in the distribution of global micronutrient deficienciesPatrick Webb
Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, 150 Harrison Ave, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Nutr Rev 65:233-45. 2007..This review represents an exploratory first step toward unmasking population-specific variations that are important for better understanding the nature of micronutrient deficiencies and for improving the focus of public health action...
- Conclusions of the Joint WHO/UNICEF/IAEA/IZiNCG Interagency Meeting on Zinc Status IndicatorsBruno de Benoist
Department of Nutrition for Health and Development, World Health Organization, Geneva
Food Nutr Bull 28:S480-4. 2007..The prevalence of low serum zinc and inadequate zinc intakes may be used to evaluate their impact on the target population's zinc status...
- Maternal and child undernutrition: effective action at national levelJennifer Bryce
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Lancet 371:510-26. 2008..This resource needs to be formalised, shared, and used as the basis for setting priorities in problem-solving research for nutrition...
- Zinc deficiency: what are the most appropriate interventions?Roger Shrimpton
Centre for International Child Health, Institute of Child Health, London WC1N 1EH
BMJ 330:347-9. 2005
- Tobacco and obesity epidemics: not so different after all?Mickey Chopra
School of Public Health, University of the Western Cape, Bellville 7535, Western Cape, South Africa
BMJ 328:1558-60. 2004
- Carotenoid-rich bananas: a potential food source for alleviating vitamin A deficiencyLois Englberger
Nutrition Program, Division of International Health, School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Food Nutr Bull 24:303-18. 2003..Based on these results, interventions should be undertaken for initiating or increasing homestead and commercial production...
- A global response to a global problem: the epidemic of overnutritionMickey Chopra
School of Public Health, University of the Western Cape, Western Cape, South Africa
Bull World Health Organ 80:952-8. 2002..At the same time there are often continuing problems of undernutrition. A concerted multisectoral approach, involving the use of policy, education and trade mechanisms, is necessary to address these matters...
- Assessment and control of vitamin A deficiency disordersUsha Ramakrishnan
Department of International Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Nutr 132:2947S-2953S. 2002..This meeting clearly set the agenda for the twenty-first century and called for successful implementation of integrated approaches that will eliminate VADD...
- Solutions to nutrition-related health problems of preschool children: education and nutritional policies for childrenIan Darnton-Hill
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 43:S54-65. 2006..By reviewing the literature, lessons learned and experience regarding the nutrition-related health problems of preschool children, draw conclusions and make recommendations on education and nutrition policies for young children...
- Achieving the Millennium Development Goals through mainstreaming nutrition: speaking with one voiceIan Darnton-Hill
Public Health Nutr 9:537-9. 2006
- Zinc and iron supplementation trials in Nepal and TanzaniaBruno de Benoist
Lancet 367:816. 2006
- Micronutrient supplementation in pregnancyRoger Shrimpton
Lancet 366:2001-2; author reply 2002-3. 2005
- Reaching optimal iodine nutrition in pregnant and lactating women and young children: programmatic recommendationsJuliawati Untoro
Public Health Nutr 10:1527-9. 2007