Affiliation: Veterinary Laboratories Agency
- Genetic diversity among Escherichia coli O157:H7 isolates and identification of genes linked to human infectionsGuanghui Wu
Department of Food and Environmental Safety, Veterinary Laboratories Agency Weybridge, Woodham Lane, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT13 3NB, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 76:845-56. 2008..coli O157:H7 strains and were more similar to MG1655 in their gene content. This work demonstrates that not all E. coli O157:H7 strains belong to the same clonal group, and those that were similar to E. coli K-12 might be less virulent...
- Genes associated with Escherichia coli isolates from calves with diarrhoea and/or septicaemia.G Wu
Veterinary Laboratories Agency VLA Weybridge, Woodham Lane, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 3NB
Vet Rec 166:691-2. 2010
- Molecular and phenotypic characterisation of extended spectrum β-lactamase CTX-M Escherichia coli from farm animals in Great BritainMonique Toszeghy
Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency Weybridge, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 3NB, United Kingdom
Res Vet Sci 93:1142-50. 2012..This study provides a baseline of the characteristics of CTX-M E. coli isolates from animals in Great Britain and suggests that chicken and cattle CTX-M E. coli represent different populations...
- Escherichia coli isolates from extraintestinal organs of livestock animals harbour diverse virulence genes and belong to multiple genetic lineagesGuanghui Wu
Epidemiology, Surveilance and Risk Group, Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 3NB, UK
Vet Microbiol 160:197-206. 2012..coli from humans and other animals, suggesting a zoonotic potential. The diverse and various combinations of virulence genes implied that the infections were caused by different mechanisms and infection control will be challenging...
- Comparative analysis of ESBL-positive Escherichia coli isolates from animals and humans from the UK, The Netherlands and GermanyGuanghui Wu
Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency AHVLA, Weybridge, Addlestone, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e75392. 2013..The results suggest that minimising human-to-human transmission is essential to control the spread of ESBL-positive E. coli in humans...
- A process for analysis of microarray comparative genomics hybridisation studies for bacterial genomesBen Carter
Department of Food and Environmental Safety, Veterinary Laboratories Agency Weybridge, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 3NB, UK
BMC Genomics 9:53. 2008..To address this shortfall we have produced a simple and robust CGH microarray data analysis process that may be automated in the future to understand bacterial genomic diversity...
- Virulence genes in bla(CTX-M) Escherichia coli isolates from chickens and humansLuke Randall
Veterinary Laboratories Agency Weybridge, Department of Bacteriology, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 3NB, United Kingdom
Res Vet Sci 93:23-7. 2012..coli strains in chickens are generally different from those causing disease in humans, but genes such as astA and tsh in isolates from diseased birds with colisepticaemia were also present in isolates from healthy birds...
- Epidemic multidrug-resistant (MDR-AmpC) Salmonella enterica serovar Newport strains contain three phage regions and a MDR resistance plasmidGuanghui Wu
Department for Food and Environmental Safety, Veterinary Laboratories Agency VLA Weybridge, Woodham Lane, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT13 3NB, UK AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH, Bioresources Unit, 2444 Seibersdorf, Austria The Pathogen Genetics Group, The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA, UK Diversity Arrays Technology Pty Ltd, Yarralumla, Canberra, ACT 2600, Australia
Environ Microbiol Rep 2:228-35. 2010..This work demonstrates that MDR-AmpC S. Newport from the USA are genetically closely related to pan-susceptible strains from the UK, but contained three extra phage regions and a MDR plasmid...
- NO sensing by FNR: regulation of the Escherichia coli NO-detoxifying flavohaemoglobin, HmpHugo Cruz-Ramos
The Krebs Institute for Biomolecular Research, Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, The University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
EMBO J 21:3235-44. 2002..Thus, FNR can respond to not only O(2), but also NO, with major implications for global gene regulation in bacteria. We propose an NO-mediated mechanism of hmp regulation by which E.coli responds to NO challenge...
- Cysteine is exported from the Escherichia coli cytoplasm by CydDC, an ATP-binding cassette-type transporter required for cytochrome assemblyMarc S Pittman
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Krebs Institute for Biomolecular Research, University of Sheffield, Firth Court, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 277:49841-9. 2002..We propose that CydDC exports cysteine, crucial for redox homeostasis in the periplasm...
- Escherichia coli Hmp, an "oxygen-binding flavohaemoprotein", produces superoxide anion and self-destructsGuanghui Wu
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, The University of Sheffield, Firth Court, Western Bank, Sheffield, S10 2TN, UK
Arch Microbiol 182:193-203. 2004..The results are discussed in relation to the tight control exerted on Hmp synthesis in vivo...
- Membrane topology and mutational analysis of Escherichia coli CydDC, an ABC-type cysteine exporter required for cytochrome assemblyHugo Cruz-Ramos
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, The University of Sheffield, Firth Court, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
Microbiology 150:3415-27. 2004..The conservation of these charges in CydD-like proteins indicates functional importance. Evolutionary aspects of bacterial cyd genes are discussed...
- Structural and functional properties of a single domain hemoglobin from the food-borne pathogen Campylobactor jejuniChangyuan Lu
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Biol Chem 282:25917-28. 2007..They may offer electronic "push" and "pull," respectively, for the O-O bond cleavage reaction required for the isomerization of the presumed peroxynitrite intermediate to the product, nitrate...
- Expression and purification of Cgb and Ctb, the NO-inducible globins of the foodborne bacterial pathogen C. jejuniJames L Pickford
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Methods Enzymol 436:289-302. 2008..jejuni chromosomal DNA, construction of expression vectors in E. coli, and a simple purification procedure for each globin. A brief account of the spectroscopic characteristics of both globins is presented...