Affiliation: University of York
- Sources of variation and bias in studies of diagnostic accuracy: a systematic reviewPenny Whiting
University of York, York, United Kingdom
Ann Intern Med 140:189-202. 2004..Studies of diagnostic accuracy are subject to different sources of bias and variation than studies that evaluate the effectiveness of an intervention. Little is known about the effects of these sources of bias and variation...
- Interventions for the treatment and management of chronic fatigue syndrome: a systematic reviewP Whiting
National Health Service Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York, York, England, YO10 5DD
JAMA 286:1360-8. 2001..A variety of interventions have been used in the treatment and management of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Currently, debate exists among health care professionals and patients about appropriate strategies for management...
- Association of Down's syndrome and water fluoride level: a systematic review of the evidenceP Whiting
NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York, York, Y010 5DD, England
BMC Public Health 1:6. 2001..Only two of the studies controlled for confounding factors and only one of these presented summary outcome measures. CONCLUSIONS: The evidence of an association between water fluoride level and Down's syndrome incidence is inconclusive...
- The development of QUADAS: a tool for the quality assessment of studies of diagnostic accuracy included in systematic reviewsPenny Whiting
Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York, England, UK
BMC Med Res Methodol 3:25. 2003..The aim of this project was to combine empirical evidence and expert opinion in a formal consensus method to develop a tool to be used in systematic reviews to assess the quality of primary studies of diagnostic accuracy...
- A systematic review finds that diagnostic reviews fail to incorporate quality despite available toolsPenny Whiting
Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York, United Kingdom
J Clin Epidemiol 58:1-12. 2005..To review existing quality assessment tools for diagnostic accuracy studies and to examine to what extent quality was assessed and incorporated in diagnostic systematic reviews...
- Applicability of diagnostic studies--statistics, bias and estimates of diagnostic accuracyJos Kleijnen
Kleijnen Systematic Reviews Ltd, York, UK
Z Evid Fortbild Qual Gesundhwes 105:498-503. 2011..Simple as they may seem, these points cover extremely complex issues in practice, and these need to be addressed by more communication between methodologists, practitioners and decision makers...
- Rapid tests and urine sampling techniques for the diagnosis of urinary tract infection (UTI) in children under five years: a systematic reviewPenny Whiting
MRC Health Services Research Collaboration, University of Bristol, England, UK
BMC Pediatr 5:4. 2005..Prompt diagnosis and treatment is important to reduce the risk of renal scarring. Rapid, cost-effective, methods of UTI diagnosis are required as an alternative to culture...