Susan C Welburn
Affiliation: University of Edinburgh
- Acup C, Bardosh K, Picozzi K, Waiswa C, Welburn S. Factors influencing passive surveillance for T. b. rhodesiense human african trypanosomiasis in Uganda. Acta Trop. 2017;165:230-239 pubmed publisher..The role of the Coordinating Office for Control of Trypanosomiasis in Uganda in implementing a One Health approach will be key to sustainable management of zoonotic HAT. ..
- Fyfe J, Picozzi K, Waiswa C, Bardosh K, Welburn S. Impact of mass chemotherapy in domestic livestock for control of zoonotic T. b. rhodesiense human African trypanosomiasis in Eastern Uganda. Acta Trop. 2017;165:216-229 pubmed publisher..It is important that cattle are treated before relocation to prevent possible merger of the two HAT foci, which would complicate diagnosis and treatment of both gHAT and rHAT. ..
- Hamill L, Picozzi K, Fyfe J, von Wissmann B, Wastling S, Wardrop N, et al. Evaluating the impact of targeting livestock for the prevention of human and animal trypanosomiasis, at village level, in districts newly affected with T. b. rhodesiense in Uganda. Infect Dis Poverty. 2017;6:16 pubmed publisher..Evidence of elevated levels of AAT in livestock within village herds is a useful indicator of risk for rHAT in Uganda. Integrated veterinary and medical surveillance is key to successful control of zoonotic rHAT. ..
- Gripper L, Welburn S. The causal relationship between neurocysticercosis infection and the development of epilepsy - a systematic review. Infect Dis Poverty. 2017;6:31 pubmed publisher..This review highlights a need for consistency in research in this field. In the absence of reliable estimates of its global burden, NCC will remain of low priority in the eyes of funding agencies - a truly neglected disease. ..
- Wardrop N, FÃ¨vre E, Atkinson P, Kakembo A, Welburn S. An exploratory GIS-based method to identify and characterise landscapes with an elevated epidemiological risk of Rhodesian human African trypanosomiasis. BMC Infect Dis. 2012;12:316 pubmed publisher..The identification of potential epidemiological risk zones using this method requires fewer data than other proposed methods and further development may provide vital information for the targeting of control measures. ..
- Zoller T, Fèvre E, Welburn S, Odiit M, Coleman P. Analysis of risk factors for T. brucei rhodesiense sleeping sickness within villages in south-east Uganda. BMC Infect Dis. 2008;8:88 pubmed publisher..e. within affected villages. In the present work, we use a case-control methodology to analyse both behavioural and spatial risk factors for HAT in an endemic area...
- Bardosh K, Waiswa C, Welburn S. Conflict of interest: use of pyrethroids and amidines against tsetse and ticks in zoonotic sleeping sickness endemic areas of Uganda. Parasit Vectors. 2013;6:204 pubmed publisher..This study explored insecticide sales, demand and use in four districts of Uganda where mass cattle treatments have been undertaken by the 'Stamp Out Sleeping Sickness' programme...
- Welburn S, Fèvre E, Coleman P, Odiit M, Maudlin I. Sleeping sickness: a tale of two diseases. Trends Parasitol. 2001;17:19-24 pubmed..In this review, Susan Welburn, Eric Fèvre, Paul Coleman, Martin Odiit and Ian Maudlin discuss the biology and distribution of these two diseases in relation to the evolution of hominids in Africa...
- Welburn S, Picozzi K, Coleman P, Packer C. Patterns in age-seroprevalence consistent with acquired immunity against Trypanosoma brucei in Serengeti lions. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2008;2:e347 pubmed publisher..brucei brucei. These findings may suggest novel pathways for vaccinations against trypanosomiasis despite the notoriously complex antigenic surface proteins in these parasites...
- Gripper L, Welburn S. Neurocysticercosis infection and disease-A review. Acta Trop. 2017;166:218-224 pubmed publisher..In the absence of reliable estimates of its global burden, NCC will remain-along with other endemic zoonoses, of low priority in the eyes of funding agencies-a truly neglected disease. ..