R E B Watson
Affiliation: University of Manchester
- Chemical consequences of cutaneous photoageingSarah A Thurstan
Developmental Biomedicine Research Groups, The University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Manchester, UK
Chem Cent J 6:34. 2012....
- Repair of photoaged dermal matrix by topical application of a cosmetic 'antiageing' productR E B Watson
Dermatological Sciences Research Group, The University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Br J Dermatol 158:472-7. 2008..To date, little is known regarding the ability of over-the-counter 'antiageing' products to repair photoaged skin...
- Stretching the point: an association between the occurrence of striae and pelvic relaxation?Rachel E B Watson
Dermatological Sciences Research Group, Faculty of Medicine and Human Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
J Invest Dermatol 126:1688-9. 2006..In this issue, Salter et al. explore the possibility that occurrence of striae may predict pelvic relaxation (prolapse of the pelvic organs) in later life...
- Effects of a cosmetic 'anti-ageing' product improves photoaged skin [corrected]R E B Watson
Dermatological Sciences Research Group, School of Translational Medicine, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK
Br J Dermatol 161:419-26. 2009..This observation infers potential to repair and perhaps clinically improve photoaged skin...
- Altered claudin expression is a feature of chronic plaque psoriasisR E B Watson
Dermatological Sciences Research Group, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
J Pathol 212:450-8. 2007..These data demonstrate that epidermal claudin expression is altered in chronic plaque psoriasis and that expression is in part modulated by interleukin-1beta...
- Topical photodynamic therapy significantly reduces epidermal Langerhans cells during clinical treatment of basal cell carcinomaG Evangelou
University of Manchester, Manchester M6 6HD, UK
Br J Dermatol 166:1112-5. 2012..Topical photodynamic therapy (PDT) is a widely applied treatment for basal cell carcinoma (BCC). PDT-induced immunosuppression leading to reduced antitumour immune responses may be a factor in treatment failure...
- Low-dose ultraviolet radiation selectively degrades chromophore-rich extracellular matrix componentsMichael J Sherratt
Regenerative Biomedicine, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Manchester, UK
J Pathol 222:32-40. 2010..As a consequence, this selective acellular photochemical pathway may play an important role in initiating and/or exacerbating cell-mediated ECM remodelling in UVR-exposed skin...
- Topical aminolaevulinic acid-photodynamic therapy produces an inflammatory infiltrate but reduces Langerhans cells in healthy human skin in vivoG Evangelou
Dermatological Sciences, Inflammation Sciences Research Group, School of Translational Medicine, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Salford Royal NHS Foundation Hospital, Manchester, UK
Br J Dermatol 165:513-9. 2011..While PDT induces direct cell death, host inflammatory and immune responses to PDT may contribute to the therapeutic effects...
- Retinoic acid receptor alpha expression and cutaneous ageingRachel E B Watson
Dermatopharmacology Unit, Dermatology Centre, University of Manchester, Irving Building, Hope Hospital, Salford, Manchester M6 8HD, UK
Mech Ageing Dev 125:465-73. 2004..These results demonstrate that intrinsic ageing of human skin is accompanied by significant elevation in the content of RAR alpha and that over-expression of RAR alpha influences expression of MMP-1, an important mediator of skin ageing...
- Prostaglandin E2 and nitric oxide mediate the acute inflammatory (erythemal) response to topical 5-aminolaevulinic acid photodynamic therapy in human skinR C C Brooke
Dermatology Centre, Institute of Inflammation and Repair, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, U K
Br J Dermatol 169:645-52. 2013..Topical 5-aminolaevulinic acid photodynamic therapy (5-ALA-PDT) causes a clinical inflammatory response in human skin. While histamine mediates the immediate reaction, the mediators of the prolonged erythema are unknown...
- Oral mucosal keratinocytes express RANTES and ICAM-1, but not interleukin-8, in oral lichen planus and oral lichenoid reactions induced by amalgam fillingsM C Little
Dermatology Centre, University of Manchester, Hope Hospital, Salford, Manchester, UK
Clin Exp Dermatol 28:64-9. 2003..Interleukin-8 was not detected in any of the samples. The expression of ICAM-1 and RANTES by epithelial keratinocytes in the oral mucosa in OLP and OLR could be a key inflammatory mechanism in these diseases...
- Photoageing: the darker side of the sunEvridiki Tsoureli-Nikita
Dermatological Sciences Research Group, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, The University of Manchester, 1 443 Stopford Building, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK M13 9PT
Photochem Photobiol Sci 5:160-4. 2006
- Severely photosensitive psoriasis: a phenotypically defined patient subsetKirsty J Rutter
Department of Dermatological Sciences, School of Translational Medicine, University of Manchester, Manchester M6 8HD, UK
J Invest Dermatol 129:2861-7. 2009..Thus, a phenotypically distinct subset of psoriasis has been characterized. In contrast with earlier assumptions, UV can provoke psoriasiform features rapidly de novo; a role for memory effector T cells is supported in the early phase...
- Tissue section AFM: In situ ultrastructural imaging of native biomoleculesHelen K Graham
Unit of Cardiac Physiology, School of Biomedicine, The University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Manchester, M13 9PT, UK
Matrix Biol 29:254-60. 2010....
- Influence of eicosapentaenoic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid, on ultraviolet-B generation of prostaglandin-E2 and proinflammatory cytokines interleukin-1 beta, tumor necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-6 and interleukin-8 in human skin in vivoHassan Shahbakhti
Photobiology Unit, Dermatology Centre, University of Manchester, Manchester M6 8HD, UK
Photochem Photobiol 80:231-5. 2004..Hence, in healthy skin in vivo, there was no evidence that reduction of the sunburn response by EPA is mediated by the proinflammatory cytokines examined; abrogation of UV-B-generated PGE(2) may play a role...
- The CX3CL1-CX3CR1 system and psoriasisDarren Plant
ARC Epidemiology Unit, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Exp Dermatol 15:900-3. 2006..These results support a role for the CX3CL1-CX3CR1 system in the pathogenesis of psoriasis and identify SNPs within the chemokine receptors that are associated with the disease...
- Histamine is released following aminolevulinic acid-photodynamic therapy of human skin and mediates an aminolevulinic acid dose-related immediate inflammatory responseRebecca C C Brooke
Photobiology Unit, Dermatological Sciences, University of Manchester, Salford Royal Hospital, Manchester, UK
J Invest Dermatol 126:2296-301. 2006..Thus, two discrete acute inflammatory responses to topical ALA-PDT occur in human skin; histamine mediates the immediate response, but does not appear involved in the delayed phototoxicity...
- Annexin VIII is differentially expressed by chondrocytes in the mammalian growth plate during endochondral ossification and in osteoarthritic cartilageAlicia H White
The Wellcome Trust Center for Cell Matrix Research, School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, United Kingdom
J Bone Miner Res 17:1851-8. 2002..Thus annexin VIII is a marker for chondrocyte differentiation during normal endochondral ossification and may act as a marker for cells undergoing inappropriate differentiation in OA...