Suellen M Walker
Affiliation: University College London
- Overview of neurodevelopment and pain research, possible treatment targetsSuellen M Walker
Portex Unit Pain Research and Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine, UCL Institute of Child Health and Great Ormond St Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust, 30 Guilford St, London WC1N 1EH, UK Electronic address
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 28:213-28. 2014..An integrated approach to management is required to effectively select and target interventions, reduce pain and disability and improve long-term outcome...
- Biological and neurodevelopmental implications of neonatal painSuellen M Walker
Portex Unit Pain Research, UCL Institute of Child Health, Great Ormond St Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust, 30 Guilford Street, London, UK
Clin Perinatol 40:471-91. 2013..Parallel preclinical studies have elucidated underlying mechanisms and evaluate preventive strategies to inform future clinical trials. ..
- Neuraxial analgesia in neonates and infants: a review of clinical and preclinical strategies for the development of safety and efficacy dataSuellen M Walker
Portex Unit Pain Research, UCL Institute of Child Health and Great Ormond Street Hospital NHS Trust, London, UK
Anesth Analg 115:638-62. 2012..Finally, we advocate use of neuraxial drugs with the widest demonstrable safety margin and suggest minimum standards for preclinical evaluation before adoption of new analgesics or preparations into routine clinical practice...
- Intrathecal clonidine in the neonatal rat: dose-dependent analgesia and evaluation of spinal apoptosis and toxicitySuellen M Walker
Portex Unit Pain Research, UCL Institute of Child Health and Great Ormond St Hospital NHS Trust, 30 Guilford St, London WC1N 1EH, United Kingdom
Anesth Analg 115:450-60. 2012..Neuraxial clonidine is used for perioperative analgesia in children of all ages. Preclinical studies in the postnatal rat allow comparison of the relative toxicity and safety of spinal analgesics throughout postnatal development...
- Developmental age influences the effect of epidural dexmedetomidine on inflammatory hyperalgesia in rat pupsSuellen M Walker
University of Sydney Pain Management and Research Centre, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonard s, New South Wales, Australia
Anesthesiology 102:1226-34. 2005..The aim of this study was to determine the effect of epidural dexmedetomidine on sensory processing, reversal of inflammatory hyperalgesia, and sedation during early development in rats...
- Hindpaw incision in early life increases the hyperalgesic response to repeat surgical injury: critical period and dependence on initial afferent activitySuellen M Walker
Portex Unit, Pain Research, UCL Institute of Child Health and Great Ormond St Hospital, 6th Floor Cardiac Wing, London, UK
Pain 147:99-106. 2009..This has potential therapeutic implications for the type and duration of peri-operative analgesia used for neonatal surgery...
- Infant pain management: a developmental neurobiological approachMaria Fitzgerald
Department of Neuroscience, Physiology and Pharmacology, University College London, London, UK
Nat Clin Pract Neurol 5:35-50. 2009..The evidence that untreated pain in infancy results in long-term adverse consequences is presented, thereby emphasizing the need for a longer term view of infant pain management...
- Priming of adult pain responses by neonatal pain experience: maintenance by central neuroimmune activitySimon Beggs
Portex Unit Pain Research, UCL Institute of Child Health and Great Ormond St Hospital NHS Trust, 30 Guilford St, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Brain 135:404-17. 2012..These data suggest that early life injury may predispose individuals to enhanced sensitivity to painful events...
- Primary and secondary hyperalgesia can be differentiated by postnatal age and ERK activation in the spinal dorsal horn of the rat pupSuellen M Walker
Department of Anaesthesia, UCL Institute of Child Health, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Pain 128:157-68. 2007....
- Effects of intrathecal ketamine in the neonatal rat: evaluation of apoptosis and long-term functional outcomeSuellen M Walker
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Anesthesiology 113:147-59. 2010..Ketamine-induced spinal cord toxicity has been reported in adult animals but has not been systematically studied in early development...
- The ontogeny of neuropathic pain: postnatal onset of mechanical allodynia in rat spared nerve injury (SNI) and chronic constriction injury (CCI) modelsRichard F Howard
Department of Anaesthesia, Level 4, Old Building, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust and the Institute of Child Health, London WC1N 2JH, UK
Pain 115:382-9. 2005..The results are consistent with human neonatal responses to nerve injury; further study of underlying mechanisms are likely to yield important information about the pathogenesis and treatment of neuropathic pain...
- Neonatal painSuellen M Walker
Portex Unit Pain Research, Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine, UCL Institute of Child Health, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Paediatr Anaesth 24:39-48. 2014..Translation into improved clinical care will continue to depend on an integrated approach to implementation that encompasses assessment and titration against individual response, education and training, and audit and feedback. ..
- Neuropathic pain in childrenRichard F Howard
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Arch Dis Child 99:84-9. 2014..Improvements in the understanding and management of NP are likely to come from developmentally appropriate improvements in the clarity and consistency of diagnosis and systematic, well-researched approaches to treatment. ..
- Long-term impact of neonatal intensive care and surgery on somatosensory perception in children born extremely pretermSuellen M Walker
Portex Unit, Pain Research and Respiratory Physiology, UCL Institute of Child Health, 6th Floor Cardiac Wing, 30 Guilford St, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Pain 141:79-87. 2009....
- Targeting p38 Mitogen-activated Protein Kinase to Reduce the Impact of Neonatal Microglial Priming on Incision-induced Hyperalgesia in the Adult RatFred Schwaller
From Pain Research Respiratory Critical Care and Anaesthesia, UCL Institute of Child Health and Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust, London, United Kingdom F S, S M W Neuroscience, Physiology and Pharmacology, UCL, London, United Kingdom F S, S M W and the Program in Neurosciences and Mental Health, The Hospital for Sick Children and Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada S B
Anesthesiology 122:1377-90. 2015..To further evaluate priming of response by neonatal hindpaw incision, the authors investigated the functional role of spinal microglial p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase after reincision in adult rodents...
- Surgical injury in the neonatal rat alters the adult pattern of descending modulation from the rostroventral medullaSuellen M Walker
From the UCL Institute of Child Health and Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust, London, United Kingdom S M W Department of Neuroscience, Physiology and Pharmacology, UCL, London, United Kingdom S M W, M F and School of Life Sciences, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, United Kingdom G J H
Anesthesiology 122:1391-400. 2015..As these pathways undergo significant postnatal maturation, the authors evaluated long-term effects of neonatal surgical injury on RVM descending modulation...
- Opioid-sparing effects of perioperative paracetamol and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) in childrenIvan Wong
Department of Anaesthesia, Great Ormond St Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Paediatr Anaesth 23:475-95. 2013....
- Neonatal inflammation and primary afferent terminal plasticity in the rat dorsal hornSuellen M Walker
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, University College London, Malet Place, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Pain 105:185-95. 2003..This effect is not seen in adult animals, emphasising the plasticity of the nervous system early in development...
- Acute pain management: current best evidence provides guide for improved practiceSuellen M Walker
Pain Med 7:3-5. 2006
- Combination spinal analgesic chemotherapy: an additional clinical trial of opioid plus local anestheticLeonidas C Goudas
Anesth Analg 96:1841. 2003