Affiliation: University of Manchester
- Verkhratsky A, Rodriguez Arellano J, Parpura V, Zorec R. Astroglial calcium signalling in Alzheimer's disease. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;483:1005-1012 pubmed publisher..In AD astroglial Ca2+ signalling undergoes substantial reorganisation due to an abnormal regulation of expression of Ca2+ handling molecular cascades. ..
- Verkhratsky A, Zorec R, RodrÃguez J, Parpura V. Astroglia dynamics in ageing and Alzheimer's disease. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2016;26:74-9 pubmed publisher..While at present this bodacious goal represents a wishful thinking, further understanding of astroglial role in ageing and neurodegeneration could bring us closer to laying the foundations for such cell-specific therapeutic approaches. ..
- Lim D, RodrÃguez Arellano J, Parpura V, Zorec R, ZeidÃ¡n ChuliÃ¡ F, Genazzani A, et al. Calcium signalling toolkits in astrocytes and spatio-temporal progression of Alzheimer's disease. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2016;13:359-69 pubmed..This remodelling modifies astroglial Ca(2+) signalling and may be linked to cellular mechanisms of AD pathogenesis. ..
- Kortus S, Srinivasan C, Forostyak O, Ueta Y, Sykova E, Chvatal A, et al. Physiology of spontaneous [Ca(2+)]i oscillations in the isolated vasopressin and oxytocin neurones of the rat supraoptic nucleus. Cell Calcium. 2016;59:280-8 pubmed publisher..Together, these results unveil for the first time that both AVP and OT neurones maintain, via Ca(2+) signals, their remarkable intrinsic in vivo physiological properties in an isolated condition. ..
- Verkhratsky A, Nedergaard M. The homeostatic astroglia emerges from evolutionary specialization of neural cells. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2016;371: pubmed publisher..This article is part of the themed issue 'Evolution brings Ca(2+) and ATP together to control life and death'. ..
- Plattner H, Verkhratsky A. Inseparable tandem: evolution chooses ATP and Ca2+ to control life, death and cellular signalling. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2016;371: pubmed publisher..This article is part of the themed issue 'Evolution brings Ca(2+) and ATP together to control life and death'. ..
- Zorec R, Parpura V, Verkhratsky A. Astroglial Vesicular Trafficking in Neurodegenerative Diseases. Neurochem Res. 2017;42:905-917 pubmed publisher..Here we review mechanisms of astrocytic excitability and the molecular, anatomical and physiological properties of vesicular apparatus mediating the release of gliosignalling molecules in health and in the neurodegenerative pathology. ..
- Verkhratsky A, Steardo L, Parpura V, Montana V. Translational potential of astrocytes in brain disorders. Prog Neurobiol. 2016;144:188-205 pubmed publisher..We point out that such as a task will require a holistic and multi-disciplinary approach that will take in consideration the concerted operation of all the cell types in the brain. ..
- Zorec R, Parpura V, Vardjan N, Verkhratsky A. Astrocytic face of Alzheimer's disease. Behav Brain Res. 2017;322:250-257 pubmed publisher..In this setting, astrocytes are positioned as spatio-temporal integrators of neural network coordination, which disintegrates during progression of AD. ..
- Verkhratsky A, Zorec R, Rodriguez J, Parpura V. Neuroglia: Functional Paralysis and Reactivity in Alzheimer's Disease and Other Neurodegenerative Pathologies. Adv Neurobiol. 2017;15:427-449 pubmed publisher..Neuroglia may represent a novel target for therapeutic intervention, be that prevention, slowing progression of or possibly curing neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Vardjan N, Verkhratsky A, Zorec R. Astrocytic Pathological Calcium Homeostasis and Impaired Vesicle Trafficking in Neurodegeneration. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Subsequently, we overview much faster processes of vesicle traffic and cytosolic calcium dynamics, both of which shape the signalling landscape of astrocyte-neurone communication in health and neurodegeneration. ..
- Verkhratsky A, Steardo L, Peng L, Parpura V. Astroglia, Glutamatergic Transmission and Psychiatric Diseases. Adv Neurobiol. 2016;13:307-326 pubmed
- Kortus S, Srinivasan C, Forostyak O, Zapotocky M, Ueta Y, Sykova E, et al. Sodium-calcium exchanger and R-type Ca(2+) channels mediate spontaneous [Ca(2+)]i oscillations in magnocellular neurones of the rat supraoptic nucleus. Cell Calcium. 2016;59:289-98 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, spontaneous oscillations in magnocellular neurones are mediated by a concerted action of R-type Ca(2+) channels and the NCX fluctuating between forward and reverse modes. ..
- Illes P, Verkhratsky A. Purinergic neurone-glia signalling in cognitive-related pathologies. Neuropharmacology. 2016;104:62-75 pubmed publisher..This article is part of the Special Issue entitled 'Purines in Neurodegeneration and Neuroregeneration'. ..