Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Cambridge
- Soares F, Sheldon M, Rao M, Mummery C, Vallier L. International coordination of large-scale human induced pluripotent stem cell initiatives: Wellcome Trust and ISSCR workshops white paper. Stem Cell Reports. 2014;3:931-9 pubmed publisher..The purpose was to discuss strategies for making thousands of hiPSC lines widely available with as few restrictions as possible while retaining financial viability and donor privacy. The outcome of these discussions is described here. ..
- Vallier L, Alexander M, Pedersen R. Conditional gene expression in human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells. 2007;25:1490-7 pubmed..Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article. ..
- El Khairi R, Vallier L. The role of hepatocyte nuclear factor 1? in disease and development. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2016;18 Suppl 1:23-32 pubmed publisher..This review discusses the role of HNF1B in human and murine pancreas and liver development, summarizes the disease phenotypes and identifies areas for future investigations in HNF1B-associated diabetes and liver disease. ..
- Vallier L, Touboul T, Brown S, Cho C, Bilican B, Alexander M, et al. Signaling pathways controlling pluripotency and early cell fate decisions of human induced pluripotent stem cells. Stem Cells. 2009;27:2655-66 pubmed publisher..Together these data reveal that human iPSCs rely on mechanisms similar to human ESCs to maintain their pluripotency and to control their differentiation, showing that these pluripotent cell types are functionally equivalent. ..
- Vallier L, Reynolds D, Pedersen R. Nodal inhibits differentiation of human embryonic stem cells along the neuroectodermal default pathway. Dev Biol. 2004;275:403-21 pubmed..The effects of Nodal on early differentiation illustrate how hESCs can augment mouse embryos as a model for analyzing mechanisms of early mammalian development. ..
- Ortmann D, Vallier L. Variability of human pluripotent stem cell lines. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2017;46:179-185 pubmed publisher..Here, we summarise our knowledge concerning the origin of this variability and describe potential solutions currently available to bypass this major challenge. ..
- Bertero A, Madrigal P, Galli A, Hubner N, Moreno I, Burks D, et al. Activin/nodal signaling and NANOG orchestrate human embryonic stem cell fate decisions by controlling the H3K4me3 chromatin mark. Genes Dev. 2015;29:702-17 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal the mechanisms by which extracellular factors coordinate chromatin status and cell fate decisions in hESCs. ..
- Vallier L, Mendjan S, Brown S, Chng Z, Teo A, Smithers L, et al. Activin/Nodal signalling maintains pluripotency by controlling Nanog expression. Development. 2009;136:1339-49 pubmed publisher..This negative-feedback loop imposes stasis in neuroectoderm and mesendoderm differentiation, thereby maintaining the pluripotent status of human ESCs and mouse EpiSCs...
- Vallier L, Alexander M, Pedersen R. Activin/Nodal and FGF pathways cooperate to maintain pluripotency of human embryonic stem cells. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:4495-509 pubmed