Affiliation: University of Liverpool
- The clinical impact of nucleic acid amplification tests on the diagnosis and management of tuberculosis in a British hospitalM Taegtmeyer
Tropical and Infectious Diseases Unit, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Street, Liverpool L7 8XP, UK
Thorax 63:317-21. 2008..Indications for their use in clinical samples are now included in British tuberculosis guidelines...
- Challenges in providing counselling to MSM in highly stigmatized contexts: results of a qualitative study from KenyaMiriam Taegtmeyer
Department of International Public Health, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e64527. 2013..This paper describes the themes arising from these interviews and makes practical recommendations on training and support supervision systems for nascent MSM HIV prevention programmes in Africa...
- A qualitative exploration of the human resource policy implications of voluntary counselling and testing scale-up in Kenya: applying a model for policy analysisMiriam Taegtmeyer
Clinical Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, UK
BMC Public Health 11:812. 2011....
- Acute presentations of HIV are still missed in low prevalence areasL Ratcliffe
Tropical and Infectious Disease Unit, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, and Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool, UK
Postgrad Med J 87:170-4. 2011..To evaluate missed opportunities and delays in the diagnosis of HIV in a low prevalence setting over a 24 year period...
- The politics of TB: TB control services need tailoring for new arrivals, not vice versaY Wang
International Health Group, Liverpool, UK
Chron Respir Dis 5:49-51. 2008..This article explores the merging of public health and human rights based approaches to TB control in response to the challenge of increasing rates of TB amongst new arrivals in the UK...
- Cytomegalovirus retinitis in the absence of HIV or immunosuppressionD J Sloan
Tropical and Infectious Disease Unit, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool UK
Eur J Ophthalmol 18:813-5. 2008..The authors report a case of CMV retinitis in an HIV-negative man with idiopathic CD4 lymphocytopenia (ICL). This is the first such case to be confirmed by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) of aqueous humor...
- The value of the post-take ward round: are new working patterns compromising junior doctor education?M Chaponda
Infectious Diseases and Clinical Pharmacology, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool
Clin Med 9:323-6. 2009..Similar patterns are likely to be found in other hospitals attempting to balance training with government targets for waiting times and junior doctors' working hours...
- Potential for abuse in the VCT counselling room: service provider's perceptions in KenyaC Hamilton
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool, L3 5QA, UK
Health Policy Plan 23:390-6. 2008..Institutions providing VCT should consider unlocked doors, semi-opaque windows and the use of 'mystery clients' as a quality assurance measure...