Frank M Sullivan
Affiliation: University of Dundee
- How much does pre-trial testing influence complex intervention trials and would more testing make any difference? An email surveyShaun Treweek
Tayside Centre for General Practice, Community Health Sciences Division, University of Dundee, Kirsty Semple Way, Dundee DD2 4BF, UK
BMC Med Res Methodol 6:28. 2006..This study aimed to determine to what extent complex interventions are tested prior to a full-scale trial and whether more or different testing would have led to a different intervention being used in the trial...
- Recruitment and retention in a multicentre randomised controlled trial in Bell's palsy: a case studyBrian McKinstry
Community Health Sciences, University of Edinburgh, 20 W Richmond Street, Edinburgh, UK
BMC Med Res Methodol 7:15. 2007....
- Generation Scotland: the Scottish Family Health Study; a new resource for researching genes and heritabilityBlair H Smith
University of Aberdeen, Department of General Practice and Primary Care, Foresterhill Health Centre, Westburn Road, Aberdeen, UK
BMC Med Genet 7:74. 2006....
- Development of a decision support tool to facilitate primary care management of patients with abnormal liver function tests without clinically apparent liver disease [HTA03/38/02]. Abnormal Liver Function Investigations Evaluation (ALFIE)Peter T Donnan
Tayside Centre for General Practice, Community Health Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
BMC Health Serv Res 7:54. 2007....
- The accuracy of symptoms, signs and diagnostic tests in the diagnosis of left ventricular dysfunction in primary care: a diagnostic accuracy systematic reviewV Madhok
Tayside Centre for General Practice, Division of Community Health Sciences, University of Dundee, Mackenzie Building, Dundee DD2 4BF, UK
BMC Fam Pract 9:56. 2008..To assess the accuracy of findings from the clinical history, symptoms, signs and diagnostic tests (ECG, CXR and natriuretic peptides) in relation to the diagnosis of left ventricular systolic dysfunction (LVSD) in a primary care setting...
- Early treatment with prednisolone or acyclovir in Bell's palsyFrank M Sullivan
Scottish School of Primary Care, University of Dundee, Dundee, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 357:1598-607. 2007..Corticosteroids and antiviral agents are widely used to treat the early stages of idiopathic facial paralysis (i.e., Bell's palsy), but their effectiveness is uncertain...
- Potential implications of genomic medicine in general practiceFrank M Sullivan
Division of Clinical and Population Sciences and Education, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Med J Aust 193:120-3. 2010..As users or co-producers of genomic information, or as collaborators in genomic research, general practitioners can help realise the potential of advances in genomic research...
- How could primary care meet the informatics needs of UK Biobank? A Scottish proposalFrank M Sullivan
Tayside Centre for General Practice, Health Informatics Centre, University of Dundee, Kirsty Semple Way, Dundee DD2 4BF, Scotland, UK
Inform Prim Care 11:129-35. 2003..Some of these may be applicable elsewhere in the other Regional Collaborating Centres and other large-scale collaborative projects which rely on primary care informatics...
- How often do GPs use rapid computer access to laboratory results? A description of 18 months' use by 72 practices in TaysideDeborah H Clark
Tayside Centre for General Practice, University of Dundee, Kirsty Semple Way, Dundee DD2 4AD, UK
Inform Prim Care 12:35-9. 2004..Continued use in practice and the concordance of usage between practices confirms that rapid and reliable access to laboratory reports from primary care is both useful and used...
- Optimal strategies for identifying patients with myocardial infarction in general practicePeter T Donnan
Tayside Centre for General Practice, Kirsty Semple Way, University of Dundee, Dundee DD2 4BF, Scotland, UK
Fam Pract 20:706-10. 2003..The optimal strategy is one in which all appropriate patients are identified with the least effort...
- Regional repositories, reintermediation and the new GMS contract: cardiovascular disease in TaysideFrank M Sullivan
Health Informatics Centre, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Inform Prim Care 11:215-21. 2003..In Scotland there are four components of the national information technology strategy which make meaningful comparisons of data possible...
- Do the British Guidelines for Asthma Management facilitate concordance?Karen Steven
Tayside Centre for General Practice, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Health Expect 7:74-84. 2004..Asthma is an example of a common, chronic illness in which clinicians are encouraged to promote concordance and adhere to guidelines. Some existing research suggests that these aims may be incompatible...
- Whole population secondary prevention of coronary heart disease in Scotland: the HEARTS databaseFrank M Sullivan
Health Informatics Centre, University of Dundee, Scotland
Medinfo 11:1227-9. 2004..Improvements in clinical status and prescribing of effective therapies are 5-10% greater than elsewhere in Scotland...
- Screening for left ventricular systolic dysfunction using GP-reported ECGsBarclay M Goudie
Westgate Health Centre, Dundee, UK
Br J Gen Pract 57:191-5. 2007..Pre-echocardiography screening with electrocardiograms (ECGs) is recommended as a means of targeting this scarce resource. There are data to support this policy when ECGs are interpreted by cardiologists but not by GPs...
- A critical re-appraisal of different ways of selecting ambulatory patients with suspected heart failure for echocardiographySanjay Jeyaseelan
Department of Cardiology, Charing Cross Hospital, Fulham Palace Road, London, W6 8RF, UK
Eur J Heart Fail 9:55-61. 2007..However, echocardiography also provides information about valvular disease and LVH. We assessed how good these screening tests are in identifying whether the subsequent echocardiogram will have any significant abnormality...
- e-Prescribing, efficiency, quality: lessons from the computerization of UK family practiceCharles P Schade
West Virginia Medical Institute, Charleston, WV 25304, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 13:470-5. 2006..These features include electronic prescribing, improved quality and consistency of care, practice efficiencies that have both timesaving and revenue generating effects, and potential shielding from malpractice claims...
- How will practices cope with information for the new GMS contract? Coronary heart disease data recording in five Scottish practicesLibby Morris
RCGP Scotland, 25 Queen Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Inform Prim Care 11:121-7. 2003..To investigate whether practices will be ready for the data reporting requirements for the new General Medical Services (GMS) contract, using coronary heart disease (CHD) as an example...
- Confidentiality, clinical governance and research in the communityTom Love
Inform Prim Care 12:1-2. 2004
- Statin use in the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease in primary care: cohort study and comparison of inclusion and outcome with patients in randomised trialsLi Wei
Medicines Monitoring Unit, Health Informatics Centre, Division of Medicine and Therapeutics, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY
BMJ 330:821. 2005..82, 0.71 to 0.95). CONCLUSIONS: The community effectiveness of statins in those groups that were not well represented in clinical trials was similar to the efficacy of statins in these trials...