Barbara J Stewart-Knox
Affiliation: University of Ulster
- Associations between obesity (BMI and waist circumference) and socio-demographic factors, physical activity, dietary habits, life events, resilience, mood, perceived stress and hopelessness in healthy older EuropeansBarbara Stewart-Knox
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health NICHE School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland
BMC Public Health 12:424. 2012..It is important to understand the psycho-social context of obesity to inform prevention and treatment of obesity at both the individual and public health level...
- What is the problem with breast-feeding? A qualitative analysis of infant feeding perceptionsB Stewart-Knox
Northern Ireland Centre for Diet and Health, Northern Ireland, UK
J Hum Nutr Diet 16:265-73. 2003..The aim of this study has therefore been to define and explore factors determining infant feeding decisions with a view to the planning of future research and intervention needs...
- Taste acuity in response to zinc supplementation in older EuropeansBarbara J Stewart-Knox
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine BT52 1SA, UK
Br J Nutr 99:129-36. 2008..Supplemented Zn may have potential to enhance salt taste acuity in those over the age of 70 years. Further research is required to determine if enhanced salt taste acuity is reflected in the eating experiences of older individuals...
- Attitudes toward genetic testing and personalised nutrition in a representative sample of European consumersBarbara J Stewart-Knox
Northern Ireland Centre for Food, Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine, County Londonderry, UK
Br J Nutr 101:982-9. 2009..These findings are encouraging for the future application of personalised nutrition provided that policies are put in place to address public concern about how genetic information is used and held...
- Supplemented zinc does not alter mood in healthy older European adults--a randomised placebo-controlled trial: the Zenith studyBarbara J Stewart-Knox
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine, BT521SA, Northern Ireland, UK
Public Health Nutr 14:882-8. 2011..This randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind intervention study aimed to investigate the effect of oral zinc gluconate supplementation (15 mg/d; 30 mg/d; and placebo) on subjective mood (affect) in older Europeans...
- Zinc status and taste acuity in older Europeans: the ZENITH studyB J Stewart-Knox
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland
Eur J Clin Nutr 59:S31-6. 2005..Age-related decline in taste acuity may be both a cause and an effect of depleted zinc and/or increased zinc requirement...
- Smoking and peer groups: results from a longitudinal qualitative study of young people in Northern IrelandBarbara J Stewart-Knox
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health NICHE, University of Ulster, UK
Br J Soc Psychol 44:397-414. 2005..There was some evidence that group affiliation may be negotiated differently for boys and girls. These findings imply that successful intervention needs to reconsider the normative processes that encourage young people to smoke...
- Psychological underpinnings of metabolic syndromeBarbara J Stewart-Knox
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health NICHE, University of Ulster, Coleraine, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 64:363-9. 2005..It is anticipated that this information will assist in the development and targetting of future intervention to prevent and treat MS in the normal population...
- Dietary strategies and uptake of reduced fat foodsB Stewart-Knox
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, NICHe, Universit of Ulster, Coleraine, Co L Derry, BT52 1SA, UK
J Hum Nutr Diet 18:121-8. 2005..This analysis therefore explores the degree to which various dietary strategies predict uptake of reduced fat products...
- Vitamin E supplementation, cereal feed type and consumer sensory perceptions of poultry meat qualityOrla B Kennedy
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health NICHE, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland
Br J Nutr 93:333-8. 2005..There was no evidence to suggest any advantages in changing the current amount of vitamin E (75 mg/kg) used to rear wheat-fed birds...
- Salivary cortisol, stress and mood in healthy older adults: the Zenith studyEllen E A Simpson
Psychology Research Institute and School of Psychology, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Biol Psychol 78:1-9. 2008..Further, more extensive research is required to better understand the apparent interplay between these variables and ageing...
- Obesity, whole blood serotonin and sex differences in healthy volunteersStephanie Hodge
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health NICHE, Carshalton, UK
Obes Facts 5:399-407. 2012..Reduced circulating serotonin may contribute to the development of obesity. This study aimed to explore associations between whole blood (WB) serotonin concentrations and anthropometric measures...
- The relationship between whole-blood serotonin and subjective mood in apparently healthy postmenopausal womenMaresa E Duffy
The Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health NICHE, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland, UK
Biol Psychol 73:165-8. 2006..03). No association was apparent for negative affect. These findings indicate that WB 5-HT and positive affect are related in postmenopausal women...
- Knowledge of food production methods informs attitudes toward food but not food choice in adults residing in socioeconomically deprived rural areas within the United KingdomMaria Barton
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
J Nutr Educ Behav 43:374-8. 2011..Understand food choice, from the perspective of people residing in socioeconomically deprived rural neighborhoods...
- Flesh colour dominates consumer preference for chickenOrla B Kennedy
Northern Ireland Centre for Diet and Health NICHE, University of Ulster, Coleraine BT52 1SA, UK
Appetite 44:181-6. 2005....
- Children talking: emerging perspectives and experiences of cigarette smokingMargaret Pearl Treacy
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Health Systems, University College Dublin, Ireland
Qual Health Res 17:238-49. 2007....