Affiliation: University of Aberdeen
- Impact of biodiversity-climate futures on primary production and metabolism in a model benthic estuarine systemNatalie Hicks
Sediment Ecology Research Group, Scottish Oceans Institute, University of St Andrews, East Sands, Fife, UK
BMC Ecol 11:7. 2011..This experimental design specifically addresses interactions between the selected climate change variables and any ecological consequences caused by changes in species composition or richness...
- Extinction and ecosystem function in the marine benthosMartin Solan
Oceanlab, University of Aberdeen, Main Street, Newburgh, Aberdeenshire, Scotland AB41 6AA
Science 306:1177-80. 2004..As a result, the particular cause of extinction and the order in which species are lost ultimately govern the ecosystem-level consequences of biodiversity loss...
- Complex interactions mediate the effects of fish farming on benthic chemistry within a region of ScotlandDaniel J Mayor
Institute of Biological and Environmental Sciences, Oceanlab, University of Aberdeen, Main Street, Newburgh, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, AB41 6AA, UK
Environ Res 111:635-42. 2011..Collectively, our analyses demonstrate that the fate of fish farm-derived wastes is complex and highlight the need for site-specific management techniques...
- Species-specific traits rather than resource partitioning mediate diversity effects on resource useJasmin A Godbold
Oceanlab, University of Aberdeen, Newburgh, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e7423. 2009....
- Marine biodiversity-ecosystem functions under uncertain environmental futuresMark T Bulling
Oceanlab, University of Aberdeen, Main Street, Newburgh, Aberdeenshire AB41 6AA, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365:2107-16. 2010....
- Factors affecting benthic impacts at Scottish fish farmsDaniel J Mayor
Institute of Biological and Environmental Sciences, Oceanlab, University ofAberdeen, Main Street, Newburgh, Aberdeenshire, Scotland AB41 6AA, UK
Environ Sci Technol 44:2079-84. 2010....
- The role of ecological theory in microbial ecologyJames I Prosser
School of Biological Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB24 3UU, Scotland, UK
Nat Rev Microbiol 5:384-92. 2007..Here we argue that the full potential of the ongoing revolution will not be realized if research is not directed and driven by theory, and that the generality of established ecological theory must be tested using microbial systems...
- Differential effects of microorganism-invertebrate interactions on benthic nitrogen cyclingWilliam W Gilbertson
Oceanlab, Institute of Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, UK
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 82:11-22. 2012....
- Hadal trenches: the ecology of the deepest places on EarthAlan J Jamieson
University of Aberdeen, Newburgh, AB41 6AA, UK
Trends Ecol Evol 25:190-7. 2010..The application of existing, rather than the generation of novel, ecological theory offers the best prospect of understanding deep ocean ecology...
- Influence of macrofaunal assemblages and environmental heterogeneity on microphytobenthic production in experimental systemsKirstie E Dyson
Gatty Marine Laboratory, University of St Andrews, Fife KY16 8LB, UK
Proc Biol Sci 274:2547-54. 2007..Our findings demonstrate that organic enrichment can cause the development of heterogeneity which influences infaunal bioturbation and consequent nutrient generation, a driver of microphytobenthic production...
- A review of approaches for classifying benthic habitats and evaluating habitat qualityRobert J Diaz
Biological Sciences, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, College of William and Mary, P O Box 1346, Route 1208, Greate Road, Gloucester Point, VA 23062, USA
J Environ Manage 73:165-81. 2004..The problem of data density mismatch between physical and biological methods will likely not be solved until acoustic methods can routinely resolve the elusive biological components that make a physical substrate a habitat...
- Microcosm experiments can inform global ecological problemsTim G Benton
Institute of Integrative and Comparative Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT UK
Trends Ecol Evol 22:516-21. 2007..We suggest short-cuts in an attempt to stimulate the use of small-scale experiments to address globally urgent issues with meaningful policy implications...