Craig J Smith
Affiliation: University of Manchester
- Clinical outcome following acute ischaemic stroke relates to both activation and autoregulatory inhibition of cytokine productionHedley C A Emsley
Division of Neuroscience, The University of Liverpool, The Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Lower Lane, Liverpool L9 7LJ, UK
BMC Neurol 7:5. 2007....
- Peak plasma interleukin-6 and other peripheral markers of inflammation in the first week of ischaemic stroke correlate with brain infarct volume, stroke severity and long-term outcomeCraig J Smith
University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
BMC Neurol 4:2. 2004..We assessed the relationship between peak values of plasma interleukin-6 (IL-6) in the first week after ischaemic stroke, with measures of stroke severity and outcome...
- Variability of the systemic acute phase response after ischemic strokeCraig J Smith
Division of Medicine and Neurosciences, University of Manchester, Clinical Sciences Building, Hope Hospital, Salford, UK
J Neurol Sci 251:77-81. 2006..These data suggest that, although infection and other factors may contribute to systemic inflammation, the extent of acute brain injury after ischemic stroke is a major factor influencing the magnitude and variability of the APR...
- An early and sustained peripheral inflammatory response in acute ischaemic stroke: relationships with infection and atherosclerosisHedley C A Emsley
University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
J Neuroimmunol 139:93-101. 2003....
- Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist reverses stroke-associated peripheral immune suppressionCraig J Smith
Brain Injury Research Group, School of Biomedicine, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Salford Royal Foundation Trust, Salford M6 8HD, UK
Cytokine 58:384-9. 2012....
- Reliability of a semi-automated technique of cerebral infarct volume measurement with CTCarole M Gavin
University of Manchester and Stroke Services, Hope Hospital, Salford, UK
Cerebrovasc Dis 18:220-6. 2004..We investigated the reproducibility of a semi-automated method of computed tomography (CT) infarct volume measurement amongst three stroke research fellows with no formal neuroradiology training and two consultant neuroradiologists...
- Detection of atrial fibrillation after ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack: a systematic review and meta-analysisAmit Kishore
From the Stroke and Vascular Research Centre, Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences A K, P J T, C J S and Centre for Biostatistics A V, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Salford Royal Foundation Trust, Salford, United Kingdom Greater Manchester Comprehensive Stroke Centre, Department of Medical Neurosciences, Salford Royal Foundation Trust, Salford, United Kingdom A K, A M, P J T, C J S and Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, University of Glasgow, Western Infirmary, Glasgow, United Kingdom J D, K R L
Stroke 45:520-6. 2014..We therefore undertook a systematic review and meta-analysis to determine the frequency of newly detected AF using noninvasive or invasive cardiac monitoring after ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack...
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of the efficacy of statins in experimental strokeHardaman K Baryan
Brain Injury Research Group, School of Biomedicine, University of Manchester, UK
Int J Stroke 7:150-6. 2012..Statins are postulated as candidate drugs for the treatment of acute stroke. The aim of this study was to critically appraise the evidence for the efficacy of statins administered after the onset of experimental focal cerebral ischemia...
- Current and emerging treatments for acute stroke: relationships with infectionCraig J Smith
Brain Injury Research Group, University of Manchester, Clinical Sciences Building, Salford Royal Foundation Trust, Salford M6 8HD, UK
Infect Disord Drug Targets 10:112-21. 2010..In this review we discuss the role of current and emerging treatments for stroke and their effects on infection, considering possible underlying mechanisms and implications for the development of new therapies...
- Evaluation of C-reactive protein measurement for assessing the risk and prognosis in ischemic stroke: a statement for health care professionals from the CRP Pooling Project membersMario Di Napoli
San Camillo de Lellis General Hospital, Rieti, Italy
Stroke 36:1316-29. 2005..The aim of this review is to summarize the evidence for CRP as an independent predictor of cerebrovascular events in at-risk individuals and ischemic stroke patients and to consider its usefulness in evaluating prognosis after stroke...
- Correlation of systemic inflammatory response with infarct volume in acute ischemic stroke patientsHedley C A Emsley
Stroke 36:228-9; author reply 228-9. 2005
- Infection and brain-induced immunodepression after acute ischemic strokeHedley C A Emsley
Stroke 39:e7; author reply e8. 2008
- Inflammation in acute ischemic stroke and its relevance to stroke critical careHedley C A Emsley
Division of Neuroscience, The Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery, The University of Liverpool, Liverpool, L9 7LJ, UK
Neurocrit Care 9:125-38. 2008....