Genomes and Genes
James A M Shaw
Affiliation: University of Newcastle
- Cushing's syndrome during pregnancy: curative adrenalectomy at 31 weeks gestationJames A M Shaw
Department of Medicine, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, UK
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 105:189-91. 2002..Curative adrenalectomy was performed via a posterior approach in the third trimester with subsequent uncomplicated delivery of a healthy infant...
- Secretion of bioactive human insulin following plasmid-mediated gene transfer to non-neuroendocrine cell lines, primary cultures and rat skeletal muscle in vivoJ A M Shaw
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Aberdeen, Institute of Medical Sciences, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
J Endocrinol 172:653-72. 2002..4 mmol/l). In conclusion, prolonged constitutive systemic secretion of bioactive human (pro)insulin has been attained in non-neuroendocrine cells in vitro and in growing and mature rats following intramuscular plasmid injection...
- Expression of mesenchymal and α-cell phenotypic markers in islet β-cells in recently diagnosed diabetesMichael G White
Corresponding author James A M Shaw
Diabetes Care 36:3818-20. 2013..The aim was to determine whether phenotypes of β-cell dedifferentiation and plasticity are present in human diabetes...
- Comparison of Optimised MDI versus Pumps with or without Sensors in Severe Hypoglycaemia (the Hypo COMPaSS trial)Stuart Little
Institute of Cellular Medicine, The Medical School, Newcastle University, 4th Floor William Leech Building, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
BMC Endocr Disord 12:33. 2012..abstract:..
- Tetracycline-regulated secretion of human (pro)insulin following plasmid-mediated transfection of human muscleMagdalene O Wilson
Diabetes Research Group, School of Clinical Medical Sciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
J Mol Endocrinol 34:391-403. 2005....
- A role for PFK-2/FBPase-2, as distinct from fructose 2,6-bisphosphate, in regulation of insulin secretion in pancreatic beta-cellsCatherine Arden
Institute of Cellular Medicine, The Medical School, Leech Bld Level 4, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Biochem J 411:41-51. 2008..It is concluded that PFK-2/FBPase-2 protein rather than its product fructose 2,6-P(2) is the over-riding determinant of glucose-induced insulin secretion through regulation of glucokinase activity or subcellular targeting...
- Transgene expression in mononuclear muscle cells not infiltrating inflammatory cells following intramuscular plasmid gene electrotransferJarupa Ratanamart
Institute of Cellular Medicine, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Gene Med 12:377-84. 2010..Gene transfer efficiency and phenotypic identification of intramuscular transgene-expressing mononuclear cells was studied following electroporation-mediated plasmid delivery...
- Pluripotency-associated stem cell marker expression in proliferative cell cultures derived from adult human pancreasMichael G White
Diabetes Research Group, Medical School, Institute of Cellular Medicine, North East Stem Cell Institute, Newcastle University, UK
J Endocrinol 211:169-76. 2011..Further studies are required to elucidate whether these cells possess functional stem cell characteristics and assess potential for differentiation into pancreatic cell lineages including new β-cells...
- In vitro and in vivo evaluation of intrinsic immunogenicity of reporter and insulin gene therapy plasmidsJarupa Ratanamart
Diabetes Research Group, Institute of Cell and Molecular Biosciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
J Gene Med 9:703-14. 2007..As plasmid DNA is bacterial in origin, presence of bacterial lipopolysaccharide (LPS) or unmethylated CpG dinucleotides may stimulate host innate immunity...
- Tetracycline-regulated secretion of human insulin in transfected primary myoblastsKathleen T Scougall
Diabetes Research Group, School of Clinical Medical Sciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Framlington Place, NE2 4HH, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 304:167-75. 2003..Conversion of proinsulin to insulin in transfected myoblasts was <1% for hppI1 and >45% for hppI4. In conclusion, regulated insulin secretion has been achieved in a dose-dependent and reversible manner in primary myoblasts...
- Cell biology assessment of glucokinase mutations V62M and G72R in pancreatic beta-cells: evidence for cellular instability of catalytic activityCatherine Arden
Institute of Cellular Medicine, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Diabetes 56:1773-82. 2007..These results suggest that cellular loss of GK catalytic activity rather than impaired translation or enhanced protein degradation may account for the hyperglycemia in subjects with V62M and G72R mutations...
- Tetracycline-regulated secretion of human insulin in a transfected non-endocrine cell lineK T Scougall
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Aberdeen, Institute of Medical Sciences, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
J Mol Endocrinol 30:331-46. 2003..In conclusion, regulation of fully processed human insulin secretion has been achieved in a transiently transfected non-endocrine cell line...
- Plasmid-mediated muscle-targeted gene therapy for circulating therapeutic protein replacement: a tale of the tortoise and the hare?Jarupa Ratanamart
Diabetes Research Group, Institute of Cell and Molecular Biosciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK
Curr Gene Ther 6:93-110. 2006..Translation of advances in all of these areas to clinical success will enable muscle-targeted gene therapy to capitalise on its inherent strengths and realise its long-standing promise...