Affiliation: University College London
- Gene-centric analysis identifies variants associated with interleukin-6 levels and shared pathways with other inflammation markersTina Shah
Genetic Epidemiology Group, Research Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, UCL Institute of Epidemiology and Health Care, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Circ Cardiovasc Genet 6:163-70. 2013..Genetic variants associated with IL-6 provide important tools for probing the causal relevance of IL-6 signaling in a range of cardiometabolic diseases...
- Complex disease genetics: present and future translational applicationsMichael V Holmes
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology, Division of Medicine, University College London, Rayne Institute, 5 University Street, London, WC1E 6JJ, UK
Genome Med 1:104. 2009..ABSTRACT: A report on the British Atherosclerosis Society autumn meeting 'Genetics of Complex Diseases', Cambridge, UK, 17-18 September 2009...
- Detecting, predicting and modifying cardiovascular risk: new and developing strategiesTina Shah
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology, British Heart Foundation Laboratories at UCL, Rayne Building, 5 University Street, London, WC1E 6JJ, UK
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 8:1519-21. 2010..This article focuses on some of these factors, as well as risk prediction and detection, and concludes with the current state of antiatherogenic treatment strategies...
- Ancestry as a determinant of mean population C-reactive protein values: implications for cardiovascular risk predictionTina Shah
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology, University College London, United Kingdom
Circ Cardiovasc Genet 3:436-44. 2010..Most observational studies of CRP and cardiovascular disease have been in Europeans. We evaluated the influence of ancestry on population CRP concentration to assess the implications for statin targeting in non-Europeans...
- Separating the mechanism-based and off-target actions of cholesteryl ester transfer protein inhibitors with CETP gene polymorphismsReecha Sofat
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Circulation 121:52-62. 2010..We hypothesized that common single-nucleotide polymorphisms in the CETP gene could help distinguish mechanism-based from off-target actions of CETP inhibitors to inform on the validity of CETP as a therapeutic target...
- Comparative analysis of genome-wide association studies signals for lipids, diabetes, and coronary heart disease: Cardiovascular Biomarker Genetics CollaborationAspasia Angelakopoulou
Faculty of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, UK
Eur Heart J 33:393-407. 2012....
- Influence of common genetic variation on blood lipid levels, cardiovascular risk, and coronary events in two British prospective cohort studiesSonia Shah
Department of Genetics, Environment and Evolution, University College London Genetics Institute, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Eur Heart J 34:972-81. 2013....
- Inflammation, insulin resistance, and diabetes--Mendelian randomization using CRP haplotypes points upstreamEric J Brunner
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Royal Free and University College London Medical School, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 5:e155. 2008..Our objective was to examine the nature of the association between CRP phenotype and diabetes development using CRP haplotypes as instrumental variables...
- Gene-centric association signals for lipids and apolipoproteins identified via the HumanCVD BeadChipPhilippa J Talmud
Centre for Cardiovascular Genetics, Department of Medicine, University College London, London WC1E 6JF, UK
Am J Hum Genet 85:628-42. 2009..These genes provide further insights into lipid metabolism and the likely effects of modifying the encoded targets therapeutically...
- Genetic variants associated with Von Willebrand factor levels in healthy men and women identified using the HumanCVD BeadChipDelilah Zabaneh
University College London Genetics Institute, Department of Genetics, Environment and Evolution, London, UK
Ann Hum Genet 75:456-67. 2011..These data demonstrate that multiple common alleles with small effects make, in combination, important contributions to individual differences in vWF levels...
- Meta analysis of candidate gene variants outside the LPA locus with Lp(a) plasma levels in 14,500 participants of six White European cohortsDelilah Zabaneh
University College London Genetics Institute, Department of Genetics, Environment and Evolution, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Atherosclerosis 217:447-51. 2011..We have used data from the HumanCVD BeadChip to explore the contribution of other candidate genes determining Lp(a) levels...
- Blood pressure loci identified with a gene-centric arrayToby Johnson
Clinical Pharmacology and Barts and The London Genome Centre, William Harvey Research Institute, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, Charterhouse Square, London, UK
Am J Hum Genet 89:688-700. 2011....
- CYP2C19 genotype, clopidogrel metabolism, platelet function, and cardiovascular events: a systematic review and meta-analysisMichael V Holmes
Genetic Epidemiology Group, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, 1 19 Torrington Pl, London, WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
JAMA 306:2704-14. 2011....
- C-reactive protein and coronary heart disease: predictive test or therapeutic target?Aroon D Hingorani
Division of Population Sciences, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, UK
Clin Chem 55:239-55. 2009..The research has encompassed observational and genetic epidemiology, basic science studies with cells and tissues, experiments with animal models and humans, and randomized trials (although not of specific CRP-lowering therapies as yet)...
- Fulfilling the promise of personalized medicine? Systematic review and field synopsis of pharmacogenetic studiesMichael V Holmes
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology, University College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e7960. 2009..Studies of the genetic basis of drug response could help clarify mechanisms of drug action/metabolism, and facilitate development of genotype-based predictive tests of efficacy or toxicity (pharmacogenetics)...
- C-reactive protein gene variant and the human left ventricular growth response to exercise: data from The LARGE Heart StudyJack J Mann
Centre for Cardiovascular Genetics, BHF Laboratories, Royal Free and University CollegeMedical School, London, UK
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 55:26-9. 2010..68 mg/L higher than carriers of the C allele...
- Apolipoprotein E genotype, cardiovascular biomarkers and risk of stroke: systematic review and meta-analysis of 14,015 stroke cases and pooled analysis of primary biomarker data from up to 60,883 individualsTauseef A Khan
Faculty of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 42:475-92. 2013..We evaluated the association of APOE genotype with risk of ischaemic stroke and assessed whether the observed effect was consistent with the effects of APOE genotype on LDL-C or other lipids and biomarkers of cardiovascular risk...
- Distribution and determinants of circulating complement factor H concentration determined by a high-throughput immunonephelometric assayReecha Sofat
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology, Division of Medicine, University College London, Rayne Building, 5 University Street, London, WC1E 6JJ, UK
J Immunol Methods 390:63-73. 2013..Research on complement factor H (fH) in human disease is hampered by lack of an assay suitable for use in large-scale epidemiological studies. We describe the development and validation of a high throughput nephelometric assay for fH...
- Insight into the nature of the CRP-coronary event association using Mendelian randomizationJuan P Casas
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, BHF Laboratories at University College London, UCL, London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 35:922-31. 2006..Since the distribution of this polymorphism occurs at random during gamete formation, its association with coronary events should not be biased or confounded...
- Population Genomics of Cardiometabolic Traits: Design of the University College London-London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine-Edinburgh-Bristol (UCLEB) ConsortiumTina Shah
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, UCL Institute of Epidemiology and Health Care, University College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e71345. 2013....
- Critical appraisal of CRP measurement for the prediction of coronary heart disease events: new data and systematic review of 31 prospective cohortsTina Shah
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology, University College London, London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 38:217-31. 2009..Non-uniform reporting of relevant relationships and metrics hampers critical appraisal of the clinical utility of C-reactive protein (CRP) measurement for prediction of later coronary events...
- Does high C-reactive protein concentration increase atherosclerosis? The Whitehall II StudyMika Kivimaki
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 3:e3013. 2008....