Affiliation: University of Wales
- Nursing praxis and the science of the uniqueGary Rolfe
School of Health Science, University of Wales, Swansea
Nurs Sci Q 19:39-43. 2006
- Nursing management and the management of nursingGary Rolfe
J Nurs Manag 15:559-60. 2007
- Thinking as a subversive activity: doing philosophy in the corporate universityGary Rolfe
College of Human and Health Sciences, Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea, UK
Nurs Philos 14:28-37. 2013..Finally, I will propose philosophy as a way of dwelling in the ruins of the Enlightenment University and of reconciling the corporate demands of the University with the obligations of the nursing profession...
- Fast food for thought: how to survive and thrive in the corporate universityGary Rolfe
College of Human and Health Sciences, Swansea University, United Kingdom
Nurse Educ Today 32:732-6. 2012..However, I believe that these ideas, thoughts and suggestions can be applied with a degree of success to other healthcare disciplines in other parts of the world...
- Cardinal John Henry Newman and 'the ideal state and purpose of a university': nurse education, research and practice development for the twenty-first centuryGary Rolfe
Swansea University, Swansea, UK
Nurs Inq 19:98-106. 2012....
- Writing-up and writing-as: rediscovering nursing scholarshipGary Rolfe
School of Health Science, Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea, SA2 8PP, UK
Nurse Educ Today 29:816-20. 2009..Whilst empirical research supplies the basic building blocks of the discipline, it is critical and creative scholarship that provides the plans and designs that turn these piles of bricks into useful structures...
- Nursing scholarship and the asymmetrical professorGary Rolfe
School of Health Science, Swansea University, Singleton Park Swansea University SA2 8PP, United Kingdom
Nurse Educ Pract 7:123-7. 2007..In particular, I argue for a fully-rounded 'symmetrical professor' whose role is not predominantly to conduct research, but rather to 'profess the profession'...
- Nursing and the art of radical critiqueGary Rolfe
School of Health Science, Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea University, Swansea SA2 8PP, United Kingdom
Nurse Educ Today 28:1-7. 2008..Nurse academics would do well to look to other disciplines such as philosophy and the arts for examples of radical critique and of the ways in which journal editors and contributors strive to keep academic debate and discourse alive...
- 'Do not ask who I am...': confession, emancipation and (self)-management through reflectionGary Rolfe
School of Health Sciences, University of Wales, Swansea, UK
J Nurs Manag 14:593-600. 2006..The epistemological project, on the other hand, is concerned with an exploration by practitioners of their own methods of thinking about their practice, and as such, has the potential to become truly emancipatory...
- Education, philosophy and academic practice: nursing studies in the posthistorical universityGary Rolfe
School of Health Science, University of Wales, Swansea, Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP, UK
Nurse Educ Today 26:634-9. 2006..We suggest that the solution might lie with Jean-Francois Lyotard's notion of postmodern philosophy as a way of opening up debate and, in his words, saving the honour of thinking...
- After critiqueG Rolfe
School of Health Science, University of Wales-Swansea, Swansea, UK
J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 13:373-7. 2006
- 'To save the honour of thinking': a slightly petulant response to GriffithsGary Rolfe
School of Health Science, University of Wales Swansea, Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP, UK
Int J Nurs Stud 42:363-9. 2005..Most importantly, we reject Griffiths' accusation that postmodernism is a strategy to 'save us from thinking' and instead, with Lyotard, advocate it as an attempt 'to save the honour of thinking'...
- The deconstructing angel: nursing, reflection and evidence-based practiceGary Rolfe
School of Health Science, University of Wales, Swansea, UK
Nurs Inq 12:78-86. 2005..I conclude with the observation that EBP is open to many of the criticisms that it directs at other discourses, including problems of a lack of empirical evidence, of distortions due to memory, and of falsification of the 'facts'...
- Towards a geology of evidence-based practice--a discussion paperGary Rolfe
School of Health Science, University of Wales, Swansea, UK
Int J Nurs Stud 43:903-13. 2006....
- Judgements without rules: towards a postmodern ironist concept of research validityGary Rolfe
School of Health Science, University of Wales, Swansea, Wales
Nurs Inq 13:7-15. 2006..Ultimately, the postmodern ironist reader of the research report must make a judgement without criteria, based on her own practical wisdom or 'prudence'...
- Validity, trustworthiness and rigour: quality and the idea of qualitative researchGary Rolfe
School of Health Science, University of Wales Swansea, Swansea, UK
J Adv Nurs 53:304-10. 2006....
- PhD by publication: a prospective as well as retrospective award? Some subversive thoughtsRuth E Davies
Ruth Davies School of Health Science, Glydnwr Building, Singleton Park, Swansea, United Kingdom
Nurse Educ Today 29:590-4. 2009....
- 'Opposition is true friendship'. FeedbackGary Rolfe
School of Health Science, Swansea University, Swansea
J Nurs Manag 16:486-93. 2008
- Tensions and contradictions in nurses' perspectives of evidence-based practiceGary Rolfe
School of Health Science, Swansea University, UK
J Nurs Manag 16:440-51. 2008..To explore nurses' understanding and interpretation of evidence-based practice (EBP)...
- Towards a science of the singularGary Rolfe
Nurs Crit Care 7:213-4. 2002
- In response to Porter S. Validity, trustworthiness and rigour: reasserting realism in qualitative research. Journal of Advanced Nursing 60 (1), 79-86Gary Rolfe
J Adv Nurs 60:108-9. 2007
- Core elements of programmatic research in nursing: a case studyTina Koch
RDNS Research Unit, Royal District Nursing Service SA Inc
Collegian 12:7-12. 2005....
- Deconstruction in a nutshellGary Rolfe
Nurs Philos 5:274-6. 2004
- In response to: Paley J., Cheyne H., Dalgleish L., Duncan E. & Niven C. (2007) Nursing's ways of knowing and the dual process theories of cognition. Journal of Advanced Nursing 60(6), 692-701. Evidence for and evidence againstGary Rolfe
J Adv Nurs 62:268-9. 2008
- Faking a difference: evidence-based nursing and the illusion of diversityGary Rolfe
School of Health and Social Care, University of Portsmouth, St Georges Building, 141 High Street, Portsmouth, PO1 2HY, UK
Nurse Educ Today 22:3-12; discussion 13-4. 2002..The rhetoric of diversity therefore masks a strategy for maintaining power which can only be challenged by (Lyotard's notion of) the philosopher, who attempts to expose the inequality inherent in it...