Genomes and Genes
Marcelo N Rivolta
Affiliation: University of Sheffield
- The human fetal cochlea can be a source for auditory progenitors/stem cells isolationWei Chen
Centre for Stem Cell Biology, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
Hear Res 233:23-9. 2007....
- Stem cells and cell lines from the human auditory organ: applications, hurdles and bottlenecks in the development of regenerative therapies for deafnessMarcelo N Rivolta
Centre for Stem Cell Biology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S102TN, UK
Drug Discov Today 15:283-6. 2010..e. stem cells of human origin). A recently isolated population of human fetal auditory stem cells could become an ideal model for some of the challenges lying ahead regarding cochlear stem cell purification, expansion and maintenance...
- Asymmetric segregation of mitochondria and mortalin correlates with the multi-lineage potential of inner ear sensory cell progenitors in vitroMarcelo N Rivolta
Institute of Molecular Physiology, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
Brain Res Dev Brain Res 133:49-56. 2002..The asymmetric segregation of mortalin in the bipotent cell line and its uniform distribution in a committed, lineage-restricted cell line raises the possibility that it may play a role in cell fate determination...
- Cell lines in inner ear researchMarcelo N Rivolta
Department of Biomedical Science, Institute of Molecular Physiology, University of Sheffield, Alfred Denny Building, Western Bank, Sheffield, S10 2TN, United Kingdom
J Neurobiol 53:306-18. 2002..The majority of the cell lines are immortalized with a conditionally expressed, temperature sensitive variant of the SV40 tumor antigen. We discuss the value of these cells in developmental studies...
- GATA3 and NeuroD distinguish auditory and vestibular neurons during development of the mammalian inner earGrace Lawoko-Kerali
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Institute of Molecular Physiology, Addison Building, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
Mech Dev 121:287-99. 2004..In auditory neuroblasts, NeuroD appears to be dependent on the expression of GATA3...
- Restoration of auditory evoked responses by human ES-cell-derived otic progenitorsWei Chen
Centre for Stem Cell Biology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
Nature 490:278-82. 2012..These results should stimulate further research into the development of a cell-based therapy for deafness...
- Transcript profiling of functionally related groups of genes during conditional differentiation of a mammalian cochlear hair cell lineMarcelo N Rivolta
Institute of Molecular Physiology, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2TN, United Kingdom
Genome Res 12:1091-9. 2002..The temporal dimension of this analysis provides a powerful tool to study genetic mechanisms that underlie the conversion of nonsensory epithelial cells into hair cells...
- Synaptotagmin IV determines the linear Ca2+ dependence of vesicle fusion at auditory ribbon synapsesStuart L Johnson
Department of Biomedical Science, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Nat Neurosci 13:45-52. 2010..We propose that the differential expression of synaptotagmins determines the characteristic Ca(2+) sensitivity of vesicle fusion at hair cell synapses...
- Human fetal auditory stem cells can be expanded in vitro and differentiate into functional auditory neurons and hair cell-like cellsWei Chen
Centre for Stem Cell Biology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Stem Cells 27:1196-204. 2009....
- Inner ear progenitor cells can be generated in vitro from human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cellsSarah L Boddy
Centre for Stem Cell Biology and Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Alfred Denny Building, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK
Regen Med 7:757-67. 2012..In this study, we explored the ability of human MSCs (hMSCs) to differentiate into otic lineages...
- Expression of the transcription factors GATA3 and Pax2 during development of the mammalian inner earGrace Lawoko-Kerali
Institute of Molecular Physiology, Sheffield, S10 2TN, United Kingdom
J Comp Neurol 442:378-91. 2002..GATA3 is thus expressed in functionally distinct groups of cells that integrate to form a complete sensory system. The results suggest that both factors may be involved in tissue compartmentalisation, morphogenesis, and cell signalling...
- E-cadherin and the differentiation of mammalian vestibular hair cellsLucy Hackett
Department of Physiology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, University Walk, Bristol, BS8 1TD, United Kingdom
Exp Cell Res 278:19-30. 2002..Down-regulation of E-cadherin is thus likely to be a key element in the regeneration of hair cells...
- Generation of inner ear cell types from embryonic stem cellsMarcelo N Rivolta
Department of Otolaryngology and Program in Neuroscience, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
Methods Mol Biol 330:71-92. 2006..Inner ear progenitor cells, generated from ES cells, may be used for the development of cell replacement therapy for the diseased inner ear, for high-throughput drug screening, and for the study of inner ear development...