Affiliation: University of Huddersfield
- Tracing European founder lineages in the Near Eastern mtDNA poolM Richards
Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford and Department of Biology, University College London, United Kingdom
Am J Hum Genet 67:1251-76. 2000....
- In search of geographical patterns in European mitochondrial DNAMartin Richards
Department of Chemical and Biological Sciences, University of Huddersfield, Queensgate, United Kingdom
Am J Hum Genet 71:1168-74. 2002..However, the more detailed analyses afforded by molecular sequence data suggest that the explanations for these gradients are likely to be much more complex than those proposed for classical markers...
- Extensive female-mediated gene flow from sub-Saharan Africa into near eastern Arab populationsMartin Richards
Department of Chemical and Biological Sciences, University of Huddersfield, Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Am J Hum Genet 72:1058-64. 2003....
- A Y chromosome census of the British IslesCristian Capelli
Department of Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Curr Biol 13:979-84. 2003....
- Harvesting the fruit of the human mtDNA treeAntonio Torroni
Dipartimento di Genetica e Microbiologia, Universita di Pavia, Via Ferrata 1, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Trends Genet 22:339-45. 2006..Here we illustrate the phylogeographic approach with two case studies: the initial dispersal out of Africa, and the colonization of Europe...
- Phylogeography and ethnogenesis of aboriginal Southeast AsiansCatherine Hill
Faculty of Biological Sciences, Institute of Integrative and Comparative Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
Mol Biol Evol 23:2480-91. 2006....
- Evaluating the forensic informativeness of mtDNA haplogroup H sub-typing on a Eurasian scaleLuisa Pereira
Instituto de Patologia e Imunologia Molecular da Universidade do Porto, R Dr Roberto Frias s n, 4200 465 Porto, Portugal
Forensic Sci Int 159:43-50. 2006..Moreover, this SNP set, while substantially increasing the discriminating efficiency in most Eurasian populations by roughly equal amounts, discloses population-specific profiles...
- Single, rapid coastal settlement of Asia revealed by analysis of complete mitochondrial genomesVincent Macaulay
Department of Statistics, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland, UK
Science 308:1034-6. 2005..There was an early offshoot, leading ultimately to the settlement of the Near East and Europe, but the main dispersal from India to Australia approximately 65,000 years ago was rapid, most likely taking only a few thousand years...
- High-resolution mtDNA evidence for the late-glacial resettlement of Europe from an Iberian refugiumLuisa Pereira
IPATIMUP Instituto de Patologia e Imunologia Molecular da Universidade do Porto, 4200 465 Porto, Portugal
Genome Res 15:19-24. 2005..This shows that a large fraction of the maternal ancestry of modern Europeans traces back to the expansion of hunter-gatherer populations at the end of the last Ice Age...
- The molecular dissection of mtDNA haplogroup H confirms that the Franco-Cantabrian glacial refuge was a major source for the European gene poolAlessandro Achilli
Dipartimento di Genetica e Microbiologia, , Pavia, Italy
Am J Hum Genet 75:910-8. 2004..The survey revealed that the previously reported excess of H among these families is caused entirely by H3 and is due to a major, probably nonrecent, founder event...
- The Longue DurÃ©e of genetic ancestry: multiple genetic marker systems and Celtic origins on the Atlantic facade of EuropeBrian McEvoy
Department of Genetics, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
Am J Hum Genet 75:693-702. 2004..These multiple genetic marker systems indicate a shared ancestry throughout the Atlantic zone, from northern Iberia to western Scandinavia, that dates back to the end of the last Ice Age...
- Climate change and evolving human diversity in Europe during the last glacialClive Gamble
Centre for the Archaeology of Human Origins, University of Southampton, Avenue Campus, Southampton SO17 1BF, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 359:243-53; discussion 253-4. 2004..We discuss the consequences for genetic and cultural diversity which led to the legacy of the Ice Age: a single hominid species, globally distributed...
- Phylogeographic analysis of haplogroup E3b (E-M215) y chromosomes reveals multiple migratory events within and out of AfricaFulvio Cruciani
Dipartimento di Genetica e Biologia Molecolare, Universita La Sapienza, 00185 Rome, Italy
Am J Hum Genet 74:1014-22. 2004....
- Founding mothers of Jewish communities: geographically separated Jewish groups were independently founded by very few female ancestorsMark G Thomas
Departments of Biology and Anthropology, The Centre for Genetic Anthropology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Am J Hum Genet 70:1411-20. 2002....
- The making of the African mtDNA landscapeAntonio Salas
Unidad de Genética Forense, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain
Am J Hum Genet 71:1082-111. 2002....
- A mitochondrial stratigraphy for island southeast AsiaCatherine Hill
Institute of Integrative and Comparative Biology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
Am J Hum Genet 80:29-43. 2007....
- Charting the ancestry of African AmericansAntonio Salas
Unidade de Xenetica, Instituto de Medicina Legal, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain
Am J Hum Genet 77:676-80. 2005..We show that >55% of the U.S. lineages have a West African ancestry, with <41% coming from west-central or southwestern Africa. These results are remarkably similar to the most up-to-date analyses of the historical record...
- A practical guide to mitochondrial DNA error prevention in clinical, forensic, and population geneticsAntonio Salas
Unidade de Xenetica, Instituto de Medicina Legal, Facultade de Medicina, 15782 Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Centro Nacional de Xenotipado CeGen, Hospital Clinico Universitario, 15706 Galicia, Spain
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 335:891-9. 2005..A fictitious case study of a European mtDNA data set (albeit composed from the literature) then demonstrates the steps one has to go through in order to assess the quality of sequencing and documentation...
- MtDNA evidence for a genetic bottleneck in the early history of the Ashkenazi Jewish populationDoron M Behar
Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine and Research Institute, Technion and Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Eur J Hum Genet 12:355-64. 2004..A genetic bottleneck followed by the recent phenomenon of rapid population growth are likely to have produced the conditions that led to the high frequency of many genetic disease alleles in the Ashkenazi population...
- Shipwrecks and founder effects: divergent demographic histories reflected in Caribbean mtDNAAntonio Salas
Unidad de Genetica, Instituto de Medicina Legal, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, 15782 Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain
Am J Phys Anthropol 128:855-60. 2005....
- The African diaspora: mitochondrial DNA and the Atlantic slave tradeAntonio Salas
Unidad de Genética Forense, Instituto de Medicina Legal, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain
Am J Hum Genet 74:454-65. 2004..However, they also indicate that, at least for the moment, considerable caution is warranted when assessing claims to be able to trace the ancestry of particular lineages to a particular locality within modern-day Africa...
- No evidence for an mtDNA role in sperm motility: data from complete sequencing of asthenozoospermic malesLuisa Pereira
Instituto de Patologia e Imunologia Molecular da Universidade do Porto, IPATIMUP, Porto, Portugal
Mol Biol Evol 24:868-74. 2007..The hypothesis of maternally driven selection acting in male reproductive success must thus be treated with caution...