Affiliation: University of Manchester
- Latent mixture models for multivariate and longitudinal outcomesAndrew Pickles
Biostatistics, Health Methodology Research Group, University of Manchester, University Place, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, UK
Stat Methods Med Res 19:271-89. 2010..We review methods based on discrete random effects distributions and mixture models for application in this field...
- Loss of language in early development of autism and specific language impairmentAndrew Pickles
Biostatistics, Health Methodology Research Group, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, United Kingdom
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 50:843-52. 2009..By contrast, loss of language and broadly defined regression have been reported as relatively specific to autism. We compare the incidence of language loss and language progression of children with autism and SLI...
- Predictors of suicidality across the life span: the Isle of Wight studyA Pickles
Biostatistics, Health Methodology Research Group, Faculty of Medicine and Human Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Psychol Med 40:1453-66. 2010..Data from a representative community sample were used to explore predictors of lifetime suicidality and to examine associations between distal adolescent and more proximal adult risks...
- Developmental trajectories of verbal and nonverbal skills in individuals with a history of specific language impairment: from childhood to adolescenceGina Conti-Ramsden
University of Manchester, United Kingdom
J Speech Lang Hear Res 55:1716-35. 2012..This study focuses on SLI only and investigates within-participant measures across abilities...
- Growth of reading skills in children with a history of specific language impairment: the role of autistic symptomatology and language-related abilitiesMichelle C St Clair
The University of Manchester, UK
Br J Dev Psychol 28:109-31. 2010..These findings provide strong evidence that individuals with SLI experience continued, long-term deficits in reading skills from childhood to adolescence...
- Pathways from adolescent deliberate self-poisoning to early adult outcomes: a six-year follow-upAzza Aglan
Division of Psychiatry, University of Manchester, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 49:508-15. 2008..The goal of this study was to identify pathways linking childhood risk factors to early adult outcomes of suicidal adolescents...
- A longitudinal study of behavioral, emotional and social difficulties in individuals with a history of specific language impairment (SLI)Michelle C St Clair
School of Psychological Sciences, Ellen Wilkinson Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
J Commun Disord 44:186-99. 2011....
- Communication and social deficits in relatives of individuals with SLI and relatives of individuals with ASDAndrew Pickles
Biostatistics, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
J Autism Dev Disord 43:156-67. 2013..There was a higher than would be expected rate (4.3 %) of ASD, particularly in siblings of SLI + ASD probands. Communication and social deficits appear to breed true in SLI and ASD...
- Parent-mediated communication-focused treatment in children with autism (PACT): a randomised controlled trialJonathan Green
Psychiatry Research Group, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Lancet 375:2152-60. 2010..Results of small trials suggest that early interventions for social communication are effective for the treatment of autism in children. We therefore investigated the efficacy of such an intervention in a larger trial...
- Estimating familial loading in SLI: a comparison of direct assessment versus parental interviewGina Conti-Ramsden
Human Communication and Deafness, School of Psychological Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
J Speech Lang Hear Res 49:88-101. 2006..The 2nd was the direct assessment of ability in immediate family using a battery of standardized verbal ability, language, and literacy assessments...
- Commentary: Trajectories, selection and cumulative causationAndrew Pickles
Biostatistics, Informatics and Health Economics Group, School of Community Medicine, University of Manchester, England
Int J Epidemiol 36:548-9. 2007
- Mortality in offspring of parents with psychotic disorders: a critical review and meta-analysisRoger Webb
Centre for Women s Mental Health Research, University of Manchester, Williamson Bldg, Oxford Rd, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
Am J Psychiatry 162:1045-56. 2005..The authors synthesized evidence for mortality risk among offspring of parents with psychotic disorders and examined potential modifiers of risk such as offspring age and parental diagnosis...
- Familial loading in specific language impairment: patterns of differences across proband characteristics, gender and relative typeG Conti-Ramsden
The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, United Kingdom
Genes Brain Behav 6:216-28. 2007..In contrast, higher levels of SLI among relatives of female rather than male probands was entirely disproved...
- A flexible model for multivariate interval-censored survival times with complex correlation structureMilena Falcaro
Biostatistics Group, Division of Epidemiology and Health Sciences, The University of Manchester, UK
Stat Med 26:663-80. 2007..The proposed model allows estimation of the genetic and environmental effects that are shared by both of these risk behaviours as well as those that are specific...
- Early adult outcomes of adolescents who deliberately poisoned themselvesRichard Harrington
Royal Manchester Children s Hospital, Manchester, UK
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45:337-45. 2006..To describe the early adult psychopathological and social outcomes of adolescents who deliberately poisoned themselves...
- Overgeneral autobiographical memory in women: association with childhood abuse and history of depression in a community sampleAzza Aglan
Division of Clinical Psychology, University of Manchester, UK
Br J Clin Psychol 49:359-72. 2010..No previous study has examined their joint association with overgeneral memory in a community sample, nor examined whether the associations are with both juvenile- and adult-onset depression...
- Joint modeling of parentally reported and physician-confirmed wheeze identifies children with persistent troublesome wheezingDanielle C M Belgrave
Centre for Respiratory Medicine and Allergy, Institute of Inflammation and Repair, University of Manchester and University Hospital of South Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom Centre for Health Informatics, Institute of Population Health, University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom Electronic address
J Allergy Clin Immunol 132:575-583.e12. 2013..Previous studies have suggested the presence of different childhood wheeze phenotypes through statistical modeling based on parentally reported wheezing...
- Estimating intervention effects in a complex multi-level smoking prevention studyMilena Falcaro
Biostatistics Group, School of Community Based Medicine, University of Manchester, UK
Int J Environ Res Public Health 6:463-77. 2009....
- Linkage analysis of cross-sectional and longitudinally derived phenotypic measures to identify loci influencing blood pressureNeil Shephard
ARC Epidemiology Unit, University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
BMC Genet 4:S26. 2003....
- Dimensions of respiratory symptoms in preschool children: population-based birth cohort studyJaclyn A Smith
1Respiratory Research Group, University of Manchester, Manchester M23 9LT, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:1358-63. 2008..However, such collections or components of overall symptomatology need to be valid, and their relationship established with the known risk factors and physiologic measures...
- Investigation of a functional quinine oxidoreductase (NQO2) polymorphism and cognitive declineAntony Payton
Centre for Integrated Genomic Medical Research, Stopford Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Neurobiol Aging 31:351-2. 2010..We observed a nominal significant association between this polymorphism and the trajectory of delayed memory recall over time (p=0.029). No other associations were seen with the decline of other cognitive abilities...
- Child psychiatric symptoms and psychosocial impairment: relationship and prognostic significanceA Pickles
School of Epidemiology and Health Science, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Br J Psychiatry 179:230-5. 2001..Relatively little is known about the relationships between psychiatric symptoms, diagnosis and psychosocial impairment...
- Genetic and phenotypic effects of phonological short-term memory and grammatical morphology in specific language impairmentM Falcaro
Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
Genes Brain Behav 7:393-402. 2008..For the continuous measure, linkage was found on both chromosomes, but evidence was stronger on chromosome 19. For the binary measure, linkage was observed on chromosome 19 but not on chromosome 16...
- Risk of stillbirth and neonatal death linked with maternal mental illness: a national cohort studyS King-Hele
Centre for Women s Mental Health, University of Manchester, University Place, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 94:F105-10. 2009..Babies of mothers with psychotic disorders are known to have higher rates of poor obstetric outcome, including higher mortality rates...