Affiliation: University of Reading
- Preventing patient fallsDavid Oliver
Age Ageing 31:75-6. 2002
- Strategies to prevent falls and fractures in hospitals and care homes and effect of cognitive impairment: systematic review and meta-analysesDavid Oliver
University of Reading Institute of Health Sciences, Reading RG1 5AG
BMJ 334:82. 2007..To evaluate the evidence for strategies to prevent falls or fractures in residents in care homes and hospital inpatients and to investigate the effect of dementia and cognitive impairment...
- Decent health care for older peopleJacqueline Morris
BMJ 332:1166-8. 2006
- Government should have respected evidenceDavid Oliver
BMJ 334:109. 2007
- 'Acopia' and 'social admission' are not diagnoses: why older people deserve betterDavid Oliver
Elderly Care Medicine, University of Reading, School of Health and Social Care Bulmershe Campus, Reading, Berkshire, UK
J R Soc Med 101:168-74. 2008
- Evaluation of the effect of patient education on rates of falls in older hospital patients: description of a randomised controlled trialAnne Marie Hill
School of Primary Health Care, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
BMC Geriatr 9:14. 2009....
- Assessing the risk of falls in hospitals: time for a rethink?David Oliver
Elderly Care Medicine, University of Reading, Institute of Health Sciences, United Kingdom
Can J Nurs Res 38:89-94; discussion 95-6. 2006
- Older people who fall: why they matter and what you can doDavid Oliver
Elderly Care Medicine, University of Reading, Institute of Health Sciences, London Road, Reading
Br J Community Nurs 12:500-7. 2007..There is plenty community nurses can do in initial assessment, intervention and monitoring. This article sets out the key practice points and in particular the key sources of evidence for practice development...
- Falls risk-prediction tools for hospital inpatients. Time to put them to bed?David Oliver
School of Health and Social Care, Institute of Health Sciences, University of Reading, Bulmershe Campus, Reading, Berks, UK
Age Ageing 37:248-50. 2008
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of studies using the STRATIFY tool for prediction of falls in hospital patients: how well does it work?David Oliver
School of Health and Social Care and Institute of Health Sciences, University of Reading, London Road, Reading, RG1 5AQ, UK
Age Ageing 37:621-7. 2008..It has been widely used as part of hospital fall prevention plans, but it is not clear how good its operational utility is in a variety of settings...
- Risk factors and risk assessment tools for falls in hospital in-patients: a systematic reviewDavid Oliver
Department of Health and Social Care, University of Reading, Bulmershe Court, Earley, Reading RG6 1HY, UK
Age Ageing 33:122-30. 2004..To identify clinical risk assessment tools or individual clinical risk factors predictive of falls, with the ultimate aim of informing the design of effective fall prevention strategies...
- Do falls and falls-injuries in hospital indicate negligent care -- and how big is the risk? A retrospective analysis of the NHS Litigation Authority Database of clinical negligence claims, resulting from falls in hospitals in England 1995 to 2006D Oliver
School of Health and Social Care and Institute of Health Sciences, University of Reading, London Road Campus, Reading, UK
Qual Saf Health Care 17:431-6. 2008....
- Community matrons: primary care professionals' views and experiencesLinda Chapman
School of Health and Social Care, University of Reading, UK
J Adv Nurs 65:1617-25. 2009..This article is a report of a study exploring how the role of the community matron is progressing and any barriers or facilitators to performing the role...
- Nurses' role in detecting deterioration in ward patients: systematic literature reviewMandy Odell
Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust, Reading, Berks, UK
J Adv Nurs 65:1992-2006. 2009..This paper is a report of a review conducted to identify and critically evaluate research investigating nursing practice in detecting and managing deteriorating general ward patients...
- The effect of a critical care outreach service and an early warning scoring system on respiratory rate recording on the general wardsM Odell
Critical Care Outreach, Department of Intensive Care, Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust, Reading, UK
Resuscitation 74:470-5. 2007....
- Bed falls and bedrails--what should we do?David Oliver
Elderly Medical Unit, Queen Mary s Hospital Sidcup, Sidcup, Kent DA14 6LT, UK
Age Ageing 31:415-8. 2002
- Evaluation of the STRATIFY falls prediction tool on a geriatric unitEsther Coker
Hamilton Health Sciences, Chedoke Hospital, P O Box 2000, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8N 325
Outcomes Manag 7:8-14; quiz 15-6. 2003..Sensitivity and specificity were lower than in the original British study. Introducing risk assessments validated elsewhere on a patient care unit or on a hospital-wide scale requires caution...
- Geriatric syndromes continue to be poorly managed and recognisedDavid Oliver
BMJ 337:a892. 2008
- Preventing falls and injuries in care homesDavid Oliver
Age Ageing 33:532-5. 2004
- Geriatric medicine. 'How do you stand working with all these old people?'David Oliver
Health Serv J 117:20-1. 2007
- Educating nursing home staff on fracture prevention: a cluster randomised trialHelen Cox
University of York, Department of Health Sciences, SRB Area 4, York YO10 5DD, UK
Age Ageing 37:167-72. 2008..to assess whether specialist osteoporosis nurses delivering training to care home staff can reduce fractures and improve the prescription of treatments to reduce fractures versus usual care...
- Economic modeling on cost-effectiveness of hip protectors in institutionalized older people based on contentious interpretation of original effectiveness dataDavid Oliver
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:2241-2. 2005
- Secondary prevention of falls and osteoporotic fractures in older peopleDavid Oliver
BMJ 331:123-4. 2005
- Management of respiration in MND/ALS patients: an evidence based reviewCatherine Heffernan
Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, UK
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 7:5-15. 2006....
- Use of a pro forma and overhead projector to improve multidisciplinary team communicationDavid Oliver
Wisdom Hospice, High Bank, Rochester, Kent ME1 2NU, UK
Int J Palliat Nurs 9:358-9. 2003..An audit of team members' views found the pro forma to be effective and useful in encouraging interdisciplinary workings...
- Prevention of falls in hospital inpatients: agendas for research and practiceDavid Oliver
Age Ageing 33:328-30. 2004
- Care and quality indicators: QOF and public health priorities don't improve care in ageingDavid Oliver
BMJ 337:a1403. 2008
- The effect of bedrails on falls and injury: a systematic review of clinical studiesFrances Healey
National Patient Safety Agency, 4 8 Maple Street, London W1 T 5HD, UK
Age Ageing 37:368-78. 2008..around one-fourth of all falls in healthcare settings are falls from bed. The role of bedrails in falls prevention is controversial, with a prevailing orthodoxy that bedrails are harmful and ineffective...
- Spheres of medical influence: Academic Vice President, Royal College of PhysiciansDavid Oliver
Clin Med 8:228. 2008
- What's wrong with the NHS? Well, if you are old and frail . . David Oliver
BMJ 335:1059. 2007
- The development of an interdisciplinary outpatient clinic in specialist palliative careDavid Oliver
Kent Institute of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Kent, Wisdom Hospice, High Bank, Rochester, Kent ME1 2NU, UK
Int J Palliat Nurs 10:446-8. 2004..These interdisciplinary outpatient clinics have been audited and appear to be effective, and acceptable to patients and families...