Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Glasgow
- A mutational analysis of the transforming functions of the E8 protein of bovine papillomavirus type 4V O'Brien
Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, CRC Beatson Laboratories, Garscube Estate, Glasgow, G61 1BD, Scotland
Virology 255:385-94. 1999..They suggest that E8 might function differently from BPV-1 E5 and demonstrate that the separate domains of E5 and E8 are not functionally interchangeable...
- Signalling cell cycle arrest and cell death through the MMR SystemVincent O'Brien
Centre for Oncology and Applied Pharmacology, Cancer Research UK Beatson Laboratories, Garscube Estate, Glasgow G61 1BD, UK
Carcinogenesis 27:682-92. 2006..How MMR-dependent G2 arrest may link to cell death remains elusive and we speculate that it is perhaps the resolution of the MMR-dependent G2 cell cycle arrest following DNA damage that is important in terms of cell survival...
- The acquisition of hMLH1 methylation in plasma DNA after chemotherapy predicts poor survival for ovarian cancer patientsGillian Gifford
Centre for Oncology and Applied Pharmacology, Glasgow University, Cancer Research UK Beatson Laboratories, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Clin Cancer Res 10:4420-6. 2004..DNA methylation changes in plasma provide the potential to define patterns of methylation during therapy and identify those patient populations who would be suitable for novel epigenetic therapies...
- Epigenomics and epigenetic therapy of cancerRobert Brown
Cancer Research UK Dept of Medical Oncology, Beatson Laboratories, Glasgow University, Glasgow, UK G61 1BD
Trends Mol Med 8:S43-8. 2002....
- Demethylation of DNA by decitabine in cancer chemotherapyRobert Brown
Cancer Research UK Beatson Laboratories, Centre for Oncology and Applied Pharmacology, Glasgow University, Glasgow G61 1BD, UK
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 4:501-10. 2004..Furthermore, synergistic activity with other types of investigational epigenetic therapies and existing chemotherapies opens the possibility of rational combinations and scheduling of these agents based on their biologic activity...
- Phase I and pharmacodynamic trial of the DNA methyltransferase inhibitor decitabine and carboplatin in solid tumorsKim Appleton
Centre for Oncology and Applied Pharmacology, Glasgow University, Cancer Research UK Beatson Laboratories, Glasgow, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 25:4603-9. 2007..We designed a clinical study to determine the feasibility of delivering a dose of decitabine, combined with carboplatin, that would be capable of producing equivalent biologic effects in patients with solid tumors...
- Critical evaluation of p53 as a prognostic marker in ovarian cancerJacqueline Hall
Centre for Oncology and Applied Pharmacology, Cancer Research UK Beatson Laboratories, University of Glasgow, Garscube Estate, Switchback Road, Bearsden, Glasgow, G61 1BD, UK
Expert Rev Mol Med 6:1-20. 2004..The results from published clinical studies suggest a more complex role of p53 mutation in the mechanism of resistance in ovarian cancer than is suggested by in vitro studies...
- Epigenetic silencing mediated by CpG island methylation: potential as a therapeutic target and as a biomarkerJens M Teodoridis
Centre for Oncology and Applied Pharmacology, CRUK Beatson Laboratories, Glasgow University, Garscube Estate, Switchback Road, Glasgow G61 1BD, UK
Drug Resist Updat 7:267-78. 2004....
- An exploration into study design for biomarker identification: issues and recommendationsJacqueline A Hall
Centre for Oncology and Applied Pharmacology, Cancer Research UK Beatson Laboratories, University of Glasgow, Garscube Estate, Glasgow, G61 1BD, UK
Cancer Genomics Proteomics 4:111-9. 2007....
- Demethylation of the MCJ gene in stage III/IV epithelial ovarian cancer and response to chemotherapyGordon Strathdee
Centre for Oncology and Applied Pharmacology, Cancer Research UK Beatson Laboratories, Glasgow University, Glasgow G61 1BD, UK
Gynecol Oncol 97:898-903. 2005..The objective of this study was to determine the extent of MCJ promoter methylation in epithelial ovarian cancer patients and address the possible role of MCJ methylation levels in response to chemotherapy in ovarian cancer patients...
- Pharmacodynamic response and inhibition of growth of human tumor xenografts by the novel histone deacetylase inhibitor PXD101Jane A Plumb
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Glasgow, Cancer Research United Kingdom Beatson Laboratories, Glasgow, G61 1BD, United Kingdom
Mol Cancer Ther 2:721-8. 2003..Furthermore, the ability to measure histone acetylation in blood samples could provide a suitable pharmacodynamic end point to monitor drug activity...
- A phase 1 pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study of the histone deacetylase inhibitor belinostat in patients with advanced solid tumorsNicola L Steele
The Beatson West of Scotland Cancer Centre, Glasgow, UK
Clin Cancer Res 14:804-10. 2008....
- DNA mismatch repair and Chk1-dependent centrosome amplification in response to DNA alkylation damageHelen M R Robinson
Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, Glasgow, UK
Cell Cycle 6:982-92. 2007..Taken together, these results reveal novel mechanisms of cell killing by 6-TG and underscore the importance of interactions between cell cycle checkpoints and DNA MMR in determining the fate of cells bearing DNA damage...
- CpG island methylation of DNA damage response genes in advanced ovarian cancerJens M Teodoridis
Centre for Oncology and Applied Pharmacology, Cancer Research UK Beatson Laboratories, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 65:8961-7. 2005..04, n = 56). This supports the hypothesis that genetic factors affecting function of DNMT genes may underlie the propensity of tumors to acquire aberrant CpG island methylation...
- HOXA5 is targeted by cell-type-specific CpG island methylation in normal cells and during the development of acute myeloid leukaemiaGordon Strathdee
Centre for Oncology and Applied Pharmacology, CR UK Beatson Laboratories, G61 1BD UK
Carcinogenesis 28:299-309. 2007....
- Epigenetic cancer therapies: DNA methyltransferase inhibitorsGordon Strathdee
Cancer Research UK, Dept Medical Oncology, Beatson Laboratories, Glasgow University, Glasgow, G61 1BD, Scotland, UK
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 11:747-54. 2002..Agents that can reverse DNA methylation include nucleoside and non-nucleoside inhibitors of DNA methyltransferase. Such agents are now undergoing preclinical evaluation and clinical trials in cancer patients...
- Bioscience 2004Gordon Strathdee
Centre for Oncology and Applied Pharmacology, Glasgow University, Cancer Research UK, Beatson Laboratories, UK
Pharmacogenomics 5:775-8. 2004
- Microsatellite instability: theory and methodsGillian Gifford
Department of Medical Oncology, Beatson Laboratories, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Methods Mol Med 97:237-50. 2004
- Dihydroimidazophenanthridinium (DIP)-based DNA binding agents with tuneable structures and biological activityLouise V Smith
WestCHEM Department of Chemistry, Joseph Black Building, University of Glasgow, University Avenue, Glasgow, G12 8QQ, UK
Chembiochem 7:1757-63. 2006..The results provide insight into how to design biologically active DNA binding agents that can interact in these ways...
- Prognostic DNA methylation biomarkers in ovarian cancerSusan H Wei
Human Cancer Genetics Program, Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology, and Medical Genetics, Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:2788-94. 2006..Such ovarian cancer biomarkers represent a promising approach for the assessment and management of this devastating disease...
- No evidence of significant silencing of Fanconi genes FANCF and FANCB or Nijmegen breakage syndrome gene NBS1 by DNA hyper-methylation in sporadic childhood leukaemiaStefan Meyer
Department of Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, Central Manchester and Manchester Children s University Hospitals NHS Trust, Manchester, UK
Br J Haematol 134:61-3. 2006..This does not exclude very low levels of FANCF, FANCB or NBS1 methylation, but suggests other factors are responsible for chemo-sensitivity and chromosomal instability in sporadic childhood leukaemia...
- ABCB1 2677G>T/A genotype and paclitaxel pharmacogenetics in ovarian cancerSharon Marsh
Clin Cancer Res 12:4127; author reply 4127-9. 2006
- Novel molecular subtypes of serous and endometrioid ovarian cancer linked to clinical outcomeRichard W Tothill
Peter MacCallum Cancer Center, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Clin Cancer Res 14:5198-208. 2008..The study aim to identify novel molecular subtypes of ovarian cancer by gene expression profiling with linkage to clinical and pathologic features...
- Methylation Linear Discriminant Analysis (MLDA) for identifying differentially methylated CpG islandsWei Dai
Ovarian Cancer Action Centre and Section of Epigenetics, Department of Oncology, Imperial College, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
BMC Bioinformatics 9:337. 2008..We have therefore developed a novel algorithm tailored to this type of data, Methylation Linear Discriminant Analysis (MLDA)...
- DNA methylation during mouse hemopoietic differentiation and radiation-induced leukemiaGeorge Giotopoulos
Department of Genetics, University of Leicester, Leicester, United Kingdom
Exp Hematol 34:1462-70. 2006....
- CpG island methylator phenotype (CIMP) in cancer: causes and implicationsJens M Teodoridis
Department of Oncology, Imperial College, Hammersmith Campus, London, UK
Cancer Lett 268:177-86. 2008..Therefore, further clinical testing of the diagnostic and prognostic value of the current CIMP markers, as well as increasing our understanding of the molecular causes underlying CIMP are required...
- Chk1 is required for G2/M checkpoint response induced by the catalytic topoisomerase II inhibitor ICRF-193Helen M R Robinson
Cell Cycle 6:1265-7. 2007
- Identification of novel high-frequency DNA methylation changes in breast cancerJared M Ordway
Orion Genomics, St Louis, Missouri, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e1314. 2007....
- Inactivation of HOXA genes by hypermethylation in myeloid and lymphoid malignancy is frequent and associated with poor prognosisGordon Strathdee
Centre for Oncology and Applied Pharmacology, Cancer Research UK
Clin Cancer Res 13:5048-55. 2007..We aimed to study the role of DNA methylation as an inducer of HOX gene silencing in leukemia...
- A functional genetic screen identifies retinoic acid signaling as a target of histone deacetylase inhibitorsMirjam T Epping
Division of Molecular Carcinogenesis and Center for Biomedical Genetics, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066 CX, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:17777-82. 2007..These experiments identify the RA pathway as a rate-limiting target of HDACI and suggest strategies to enhance the therapeutic efficacy of HDACI...
- Pharmacogenetic assessment of toxicity and outcome after platinum plus taxane chemotherapy in ovarian cancer: the Scottish Randomised Trial in Ovarian CancerSharon Marsh
Washington University School of Medicine, Division of Oncology, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:4528-35. 2007....
- The epigenetics of ovarian cancer drug resistance and resensitizationCurtis Balch
Medical Sciences, Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:1552-72. 2004..Moreover, when used in combination with conventional chemotherapeutic agents, epigenetic-based therapies may provide a means to resensitize ovarian tumors to the proven cytotoxic activities of conventional chemotherapeutics...
- Dual repair modulation reverses Temozolomide resistance in vitroVincent A Barvaux
Paterson Institute for Cancer Research and Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom
Mol Cancer Ther 3:123-7. 2004..The increased sensitization is not observed in matched MMR proficient cells...
- Acquired resistance to cytolysis of the E1B-attenuated adenovirus, dl1520, in ovarian tumour cell linesYoung T Kim
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Korea University Anam Hospital, Korea
Cancer Gene Ther 10:589-90. 2003
- Multiple markers for melanoma progression regulated by DNA methylation: insights from transcriptomic studiesWilliam M Gallagher
Department of Pharmacology, University College Dublin, Ireland
Carcinogenesis 26:1856-67. 2005..Overall, our data support the hypothesis that multiple genes are targeted, either directly or indirectly, by DNA hypermethylation during melanoma progression...
- Highly stable phenanthridinium frameworks as a new class of tunable DNA binding agents with cytotoxic propertiesAlexis D C Parenty
Department of Chemistry, The University of Glasgow, Joseph Black Building, UK
J Med Chem 48:4504-6. 2005..The DIP framework is particularly tunable due to the flexible synthetic methodology. Furthermore, the central moiety has proved to be very stable to hydrolysis and reduction compared to other phenanthridinium-based agents...
- Aberrant DNA methylation in ovarian cancer: is there an epigenetic predisposition to drug response?Susan H Wei
Department of Pathology and Anatomical Sciences, Ellis Fischel Cancer Center, University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia, Missouri 65203, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 983:243-50. 2003..Methylation profiles of ovarian cancer might be useful for early cancer detection and prediction of chemotherapy outcome in a clinical context...
- Epigenetic inactivation of MCJ (DNAJD1) in malignant paediatric brain tumoursJanet C Lindsey
Northern Institute for Cancer Research, The Medical School, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Int J Cancer 118:346-52. 2006....
- Development of nonsymmetrical 1,4-disubstituted anthraquinones that are potently active against cisplatin-resistant ovarian cancer cellsKlaus Pors
Department of Pharmaceutical and Biological Chemistry, The School of Pharmacy, University of London, 29-39 Brunswick Square, London
J Med Chem 48:6690-5. 2005..8 and its chloropropyl analogue 13 retained significant activity against human A2780/cp70 xenografted tumors in mice...
- Interactions of the DNA mismatch repair proteins MLH1 and MSH2 with c-MYC and MAXMary Mac Partlin
Department of Medical Oncology, Glasgow University, UK
Oncogene 22:819-25. 2003..The effect on HGPRT mutation rate is small (2-3-fold), but is consistent with deregulated c-MYC expression partially inhibiting MMR activity...
- DNA methyltransferase inhibitors and the development of epigenetic cancer therapiesFrank Lyko
Division of Epigenetics, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Im Neuenheimer Feld, Heidelberg, Germany
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:1498-506. 2005....
- Hypermethylation of 18S and 28S ribosomal DNAs predicts progression-free survival in patients with ovarian cancerMichael W Y Chan
Human Cancer Genetics Program, Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology, and Medical Genetics, Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:7376-83. 2005..Furthermore, rDNA methylation levels were higher in patients with long progression-free survival versus patients with short survival. Thus, rDNA methylation as a prognostic marker in ovarian cancer warrants further investigation...
- Methylation microarray analysis of late-stage ovarian carcinomas distinguishes progression-free survival in patients and identifies candidate epigenetic markersSusan H Wei
Department of Pathology and Anatomical Sciences, Ellis Fischel Cancer Center, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65203, USA
Clin Cancer Res 8:2246-52. 2002..The differential methylation hybridization assay also identified a select group of CpG island loci that are potentially useful as epigenetic markers for predicting treatment outcome in ovarian cancer patients...
- The dl1520 virus is found preferentially in tumor tissue after direct intratumoral injection in oral carcinomaStephen Morley
Department of Plastic Surgery, Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester, UK
Clin Cancer Res 10:4357-62. 2004..We also wanted to ascertain whether the virus has any macroscopic effect on normal tissue...
- Matrix stiffness and serum concentration effects matrix remodelling and ECM regulatory genes of human bone marrow stem cellsDimitris Karamichos
University College London, Tissue Repair and Engineering Centre, Institute of Orthopaedics and Musculoskeletal Sciences, Stanmore, Middlesex, UK
J Tissue Eng Regen Med 2:97-105. 2008..To take into account the increasing stiffness of the matrix as increasing ECM is deposited, it would be necessary to take mechanical stimulation into account to determine predictable cellular responses...
- High-throughput gene discovery in the ratTodd E Scheetz
Center for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Genome Res 14:733-41. 2004..Complete information, including radiation hybrid mapping data, is also maintained locally at http://genome.uiowa.edu/clcg.html. All of the sequences described in this article have been submitted to the dbEST division of the NCBI...
- Mechanical signals and IGF-I gene splicing in vitro in relation to development of skeletal muscleUmber Cheema
Institute of Orthopaedics and Musculo Skeletal Science, University College London, Middlesex, United Kingdom
J Cell Physiol 202:67-75. 2005..These data indicate the importance of seeking to understand the physiological signals that determine the ratios of splice variants of some growth factor/tissue factor genes in the early stages of development of skeletal muscle...
- Complications and use of intracranial pressure monitoring in patients with acute liver failure and severe encephalopathyJavier Vaquero
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Liver Transpl 11:1581-9. 2005..In view of the high 30-day survival rate after LT, future studies of the impact of intracranial hypertension should also focus on long-term neurological recovery from ALF...
- The dl1520 virus is found preferentially in tumor tissue after direct intratumoral injection in oral carcinomaScott Wadler
Clin Cancer Res 11:2781-2; author reply 2782. 2005
- What does PET imaging add to conventional staging of head and neck cancer patients?Surjeet Pohar
Department of Radiation Oncology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 68:383-7. 2007..To determine the value of PET scans in the staging of patients with head and neck carcinoma...
- Improved validation of peptide MS/MS assignments using spectral intensity predictionShaojun Sun
Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80217 3364, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 6:1-17. 2007....
- Multi-organ transplantation: is there a protective effect against acute and chronic rejection?Laura J Pinderski
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0006, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 24:1828-33. 2005..This study was undertaken to evaluate acute and chronic heart and/or lung rejection in the setting of multiple-transplanted organs from the same donor compared with single-organ transplantation...
- ABCB1 (MDR 1) polymorphisms and progression-free survival among women with ovarian cancer following paclitaxel/carboplatin chemotherapySharon E Johnatty
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Clin Cancer Res 14:5594-601. 2008..Although the functional consequences of ABCB1 polymorphisms have been the subject of numerous studies, few have assessed the association with clinical outcome...