Affiliation: University College London
- Comparison of Tn5397 from Clostridium difficile, Tn916 from Enterococcus faecalis and the CW459tet(M) element from Clostridium perfringens shows that they have similar conjugation regions but different insertion and excision modulesA P Roberts
Department of Microbiology, Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, University College London, University of London, 256 Gray s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK
Microbiology 147:1243-51. 2001..Based on these studies it is concluded that the clostridial elements have a modular genetic organization and were derived independently from distinct mobile genetic elements...
- Horizontal gene transfer converts non-toxigenic Clostridium difficile strains into toxin producersMichael S M Brouwer
Department of Microbial Diseases, UCL Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, 256 Gray s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK
Nat Commun 4:2601. 2013..This has implications for the treatment of C. difficile infections, as non-toxigenic strains are being tested as treatments in clinical trials. ..
- Tetracycline resistance genes and mobile genetic elements from the oral metagenomeP Mullany
University College Eastman Dental Institute, 256 Gray s Inn Road University College, London WC1X 8LD, UK
Clin Microbiol Infect 18:58-61. 2012..To do this, metagenomic approaches have been applied and this has allowed the isolation of novel tetracycline resistance genes and mobile genetic elements...
- Behavior and target site selection of conjugative transposon Tn916 in two different strains of toxigenic Clostridium difficilePeter Mullany
Department of Microbial Diseases, UCL Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, London, UK
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:2147-53. 2012..To test the usefulness of Tn916 as a mutagen, a functional screen allowed the isolation of a mutant. This mutant contained Tn916 inserted into a gene involved in flagellar biosynthesis...
- Determination of the genetic support for tet(W) in oral bacteriaA Villedieu
Division of Microbial Diseases, UCL Eastman Dental Institute, 256 Gray s Inn Road, University College London, London WC1X 8LD, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2195-7. 2007..was determined. The gene was linked to two different transposases, and these were flanked by two almost identical mef (macrolide efflux) genes. This structure was found in 4 out of 20 tet(W)-containing oral bacteria investigated...
- Potential role of Veillonella spp. as a reservoir of transferable tetracycline resistance in the oral cavityD Ready
Microbiology, Eastman Dental Hospital, UCLH NHS Foundation Trust, London WC1X 8LD, UK
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2866-8. 2006..The most common resistance gene was tet(M). A tet(M)-positive Veillonella dispar strain was shown to transfer a Tn916-like element to four Streptococcus spp. by conjugation at a frequency of 5.2 x 10(-6) to 4.5 x 10(-5) per recipient...
- The large resolvase TndX is required and sufficient for integration and excision of derivatives of the novel conjugative transposon Tn5397H Wang
Department of Microbiology, Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, University College London, London WC1X 8LD, United Kingdom
J Bacteriol 182:6577-83. 2000..Analysis of the target site choices showed that the cloned Tn5397 targets from C. difficile and B. subtilis were still hot spots for the minitransposon insertion in E. coli...
- Transfer of TN916-like elements in microcosm dental plaquesA P Roberts
Department of Microbiology, Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, University College London, 256 Gray s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:2943-6. 2001..This element was shown to transfer to other streptococci both in filter-mating experiments and within the biofilms in the fermentor...
- Antibiotic resistance in the cultivable plaque microbiota of children from different ethnic groupsD Ready
Eastman Dental Hospital, UCLH NHS Foundation Trust, 256 Gray s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK
Int J Antimicrob Agents 27:376-82. 2006..This study has demonstrated that antibiotic-resistant bacteria can be readily isolated from the plaque microbiota of children from different ethnic groups...
- Genes encoding homologues of three consecutive enzymes in the butyrate/butanol-producing pathway of Clostridium acetobutylicum are clustered on the Clostridium difficile chromosomeP Mullany
Department of Medical Microbiology, St Bartholomew s Hospital Medical College, West Smithfield, London, UK
FEMS Microbiol Lett 124:61-7. 1994....
- Genetic basis of erythromycin resistance in oral bacteriaA Villedieu
Division of Infection and Immunity, Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, University College London, 256 Gray s Inn Rd, London WC1X 8LD, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:2298-301. 2004..In addition, we demonstrate the genetic linkage, on various Tn1545-like conjugative transposons, between erythromycin and tetracycline resistance in a number of isolates...
- Isolation of silver- and antibiotic-resistant Enterobacter cloacae from teethI J Davis
Eastman Dental Hospital, University College London Hospitals NHS Trust, London, UK
Oral Microbiol Immunol 20:191-4. 2005..The silE gene, which is encoded on the silver resistance operon, has been sequenced from both isolates. Results suggest that the silver resistance operon is encoded on plasmid DNA...