J A Michaels
Affiliation: University of Sheffield
- Randomized controlled trial and cost-effectiveness analysis of silver-donating antimicrobial dressings for venous leg ulcers (VULCAN trial)J A Michaels
Sheffield Vascular Institute, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Br J Surg 96:1147-56. 2009..There is little information on whether their use is effective. This was a prospective randomized trial and cost-effectiveness analysis of silver-donating versus non-silver low-adherence dressings in the treatment of venous leg ulcers...
- Randomized clinical trial comparing surgery with conservative treatment for uncomplicated varicose veinsJ A Michaels
Sheffield Vascular Institute, Northern General Hospital, University of Sheffield, Herries Road, Sheffield S5 7AU, UK
Br J Surg 93:175-81. 2006..Surgical treatment of medically uncomplicated varicose veins is common, but its clinical effectiveness remains uncertain...
- Randomised clinical trial, observational study and assessment of cost-effectiveness of the treatment of varicose veins (REACTIV trial)J A Michaels
Academic Vascular Unit, University of Sheffield, UK
Health Technol Assess 10:1-196, iii-iv. 2006..To establish the cost-effectiveness of surgery and sclerotherapy for the treatment of varicose veins...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of surgery versus conservative treatment for uncomplicated varicose veins in a randomized clinical trialJ Ratcliffe
Health Economics and Decision Science, School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield, Regent Court, 30 Regent Street, Sheffield S1 4DA, UK
Br J Surg 93:182-6. 2006..Despite being a common procedure, the cost effectiveness of surgery for varicose veins has not been established...
- A prospective randomised controlled trial and economic modelling of antimicrobial silver dressings versus non-adherent control dressings for venous leg ulcers: the VULCAN trialJ A Michaels
Sheffield Vascular Institute, University of Sheffield, UK
Health Technol Assess 13:1-114, iii. 2009..To examine the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of antimicrobial silver-donating dressings for venous leg ulcers compared with simple non-adherent (also known as low-adherent) dressings...
- Dressings for healing venous leg ulcersS J Palfreyman
Northern General Hospital, Academic Vascular Institute, Coleridge House, Herries Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK S5 7AU
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD001103. 2006..There are a large number of dressing products and types available. It is unclear whether particular dressings aid healing of leg ulcers...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of enhancements to angioplasty for infrainguinal arterial diseaseB C Kearns
Section of Health Economics and Decision Science, School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Br J Surg 100:1180-8. 2013..The aim was to perform an economic evaluation of the cost-effectiveness of endovascular enhancements to percutaneous transluminal balloon angioplasty (PTA) with bail-out bare metal stents for infrainguinal peripheral arterial disease...
- A systematic review of compression hosiery for uncomplicated varicose veinsS J Palfreyman
Sheffield Vascular Institute, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Phlebology 24:13-33. 2009..However, there are still gaps and questions in relation to its benefit. This review seeks to examine the current evidence regarding the effectiveness of compression hosiery in the treatment of varicose veins...
- Performance indicators from routine hospital data: death following aortic surgery as a potential measure of quality of careK A Rigby
Sheffield Vascular Institute, Northern General Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield S5 7AU, UK
Br J Surg 88:964-8. 2001..There was a considerable variation in selection and outcomes of patients undergoing aortic surgery in this study...
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of additional technologies to enhance angioplasty for infrainguinal peripheral arterial occlusive diseaseE L Simpson
School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Br J Surg 100:1128-37. 2013..This systematic review assessed current evidence on the clinical effectiveness of additional techniques for infrainguinal peripheral arterial occlusive disease (PAD)...
- Cost-effectiveness of endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repairJ A Michaels
Academic Vascular Unit, Coleridge House, Northern General Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield S5 7AU, UK
Br J Surg 92:960-7. 2005..This study was undertaken to determine an optimal strategy for the use of EVAR based on the best currently available evidence...
- Compression with or without early ambulation in the prevention of post-thrombotic syndrome: a systematic reviewA D Giannoukas
Division of Vascular Surgery, University Hospital of Larissa, University of Thessaly Medical School, Larissa, Greece
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 32:217-21. 2006..The aim of this study was to assess whether there is enough evidence to suggest that compression with or without early ambulation after proximal DVT reduces the risk of post-thrombotic syndrome (PTS)...
- The clinical effectiveness of hand held Doppler examination for diagnosis of reflux in patients with varicose veinsW B Campbell
Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 30:664-9. 2005..To assess the accuracy of hand held Doppler (HHD) as a rapid screening test for selecting varicose vein patients for duplex imaging...
- The outcome of varicose vein surgery at 10 years: clinical findings, symptoms and patient satisfactionW B Campbell
Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 85:52-7. 2003..Data on long-term outcomes of varicose vein surgery are sparse, and 'success' rates vary substantially depending on the method of assessment. This study used a variety of methods to evaluate patients 10 years after operation...