S M McDonough
Affiliation: University of Ulster
- Applying a brain-computer interface to support motor imagery practice in people with stroke for upper limb recovery: a feasibility studyGirijesh Prasad
Intelligent Systems Research Centre ISRC, University of Ulster, Magee Campus, Derry, N, Ireland, UK
J Neuroeng Rehabil 7:60. 2010..This paper reports a pilot study in which a BCI system is used to provide a computer game-based neurofeedback to stroke participants during the MI part of a protocol...
- The PRICE study (Protection Rest Ice Compression Elevation): design of a randomised controlled trial comparing standard versus cryokinetic ice applications in the management of acute ankle sprain [ISRCTN13903946]Chris M Bleakley
Health and Rehabilitation Sciences Research Institute, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Northern Ireland, UK
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 8:125. 2007..The primary aim of the forthcoming study is therefore to examine the safety and effectiveness of combining intermittent ice applications with periods of therapeutic exercise in the first week after an acute ankle sprain...
- A walking programme and a supervised exercise class versus usual physiotherapy for chronic low back pain: a single-blinded randomised controlled trial. (The Supervised Walking In comparison to Fitness Training for Back Pain (SWIFT) Trial)Deirdre A Hurley
School of Physiotherapy and Performance Science, University College Dublin, Dublin 4, Ireland
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 10:79. 2009....
- Does physical activity change predict functional recovery in low back pain? Protocol for a prospective cohort studyPaul Hendrick
Centre for Physiotherapy Research, School of Physiotherapy, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 10:136. 2009....
- Physiotherapy for sleep disturbance in chronic low back pain: a feasibility randomised controlled trialDeirdre A Hurley
UCD School of Public Health, Physiotherapy and Population Science, University College Dublin, Dublin 4, Ireland
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:70. 2010....
- The back 2 activity trial: education and advice versus education and advice plus a structured walking programme for chronic low back painSuzanne M McDonough
Health and Rehabilitation Sciences Research Institute, University of Ulster Shore Road, Newtownabbey, Co Antrim BT37 0QB, UK
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:163. 2010..Walking has been shown it to be an acceptable type of exercise with a low risk of injury. However, it is not known whether structured physical activity programmes are any more effective than giving advice to remain active...
- Exercise and manual auricular acupuncture: a pilot assessor-blind randomised controlled trial. (The acupuncture and personalised exercise programme (APEP) trial)S M McDonough
Health and Rehabilitation Sciences Research Institute and School of Health Sciences, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Northern Ireland, UK
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 9:31. 2008..It may be a useful adjunct to exercise in managing CLBP; however, there is only limited evidence to support its use with this patient group...
- Interferential therapy electrode placement technique in acute low back pain: a preliminary investigationD A Hurley
Rehabilitation Sciences Research Group, School of Health Sciences, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Northern Ireland
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 82:485-93. 2001..To determine the efficacy of interferential therapy (IFT) electrode placement technique compared with a control treatment in subjects with acute low back pain (LBP)...
- Acupuncture for acute non-specific low back pain: a pilot randomised non-penetrating sham controlled trialS Kennedy
Health and Rehabilitation Sciences Research Institute, School of Health Sciences, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Complement Ther Med 16:139-46. 2008..As part of this, the study was designed to establish the credibility of the placebo control, and to provide data to inform a power analysis to determine numbers for a future trial...
- How effective is the acute low back pain screening questionnaire for predicting 1-year follow-up in patients with low back pain?D A Hurley
Rehabilitation Sciences Research Group, Faculty of Social and Health Sciences and Education, University of Ulster at Jordanstown, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK
Clin J Pain 17:256-63. 2001....
- The effect of reflexology on the autonomic nervous system in healthy adults: a feasibility studyC M Hughes
School of Health Sciences, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Altern Ther Health Med 17:32-7. 2011..Reflexology has been shown to reduce anxiety and stress in various populations. The mechanism by which this occurs may be in modulating autonomic nervous system (ANS) function; however; there is limited evidence available in the area...
- Virtual reality in the rehabilitation of the upper limb after stroke: the user's perspectiveJ H Crosbie
Health and Rehabilitation Sciences Research Institute, University of Ulster, Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland
Cyberpsychol Behav 9:137-41. 2006..Differences in rates of perceived exertion, levels of enjoyment, and sense of control between both groups were also explored...