Affiliation: University of Ulster
- Developing person-centred care: addressing contextual challenges through practice developmentBrendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing Research and Person Centred Practice Research Centre, University of Ulster Northern Ireland
Online J Issues Nurs 16:3. 2011....
- Realist synthesis: illustrating the method for implementation researchJo Rycroft-Malone
School of Healthcare Sciences, Bangor University, Fron Heulog, Ffriddoedd Road, Bangor, UK
Implement Sci 7:33. 2012....
- Appreciating the 'person' in long-term careBrendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing Research, School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland
Int J Older People Nurs 7:284-94. 2012....
- FIRE (Facilitating Implementation of Research Evidence): a study protocolKate Seers
Royal College of Nursing Research Institute, School of Health and Social Studies, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
Implement Sci 7:25. 2012..Improving continence care has the potential to improve the quality of life for older people and reduce the costs associated with providing incontinence aids...
- Implementing health research through academic and clinical partnerships: a realistic evaluation of the Collaborations for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC)Jo Rycroft-Malone
Centre for Health Related Research, School of Healthcare Sciences, Bangor University, Bangor, Gwynedd, UK
Implement Sci 6:74. 2011..This protocol describes an externally funded evaluation that focuses on implementation mechanisms and processes within three CLAHRCs. It seeks to uncover what works, for whom, how, and in what circumstances...
- Developing person-centred practice: nursing outcomes arising from changes to the care environment in residential settings for older peopleBrendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing Research School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Antrim, Northern Ireland
Int J Older People Nurs 5:93-107. 2010..To present the nursing outcomes from the evaluation of developments in the care environment in residential settings for older people...
- Older persons' experiences of whole systems: the impact of health and social care organizational structuresBrendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing Research School of Nursing, University of Ulster, UK
J Nurs Manag 16:105-14. 2008..An in-depth case study of whole systems working...
- Developing the practice context to enable more effective pain management with older people: an action research approachDonna Brown
Institute of Nursing Research School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Shore Road, Newtownabbey, Co Antrim, Northern Ireland
Implement Sci 6:9. 2011....
- The meaning of practice development: evidence from the fieldBrendan McCormack
University of Ulster
Collegian 10:13-6. 2003..Finally, the consequences of practice development activity will be outlined and the need for further research in this area highlighted...
- Exploring person-centredness: a qualitative meta-synthesis of four studiesBrendan McCormack
Person Centred Practice Research Centre, Institute of Nursing Research School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Co Antrim, UK
Scand J Caring Sci 24:620-34. 2010..The person-centred nursing framework has utility in helping to understand the dynamics of the components of person-centredness and overcoming the siloed nature of many current perspectives...
- Development and testing of the Context Assessment Index (CAI)Brendan McCormack
Institute of Nursing Research School of Nursing, University of Ulster, County Antrim, Northern Ireland
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 6:27-35. 2009..To test the psychometric properties of the Context Assessment Index (CAI)...
- The development and pilot testing of an instrument to measure nurses' working environment: the Nursing Context IndexPaul Slater
Royal Hospitals Trusts Institute of Nursing Research, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Northern Ireland
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 6:173-82. 2009..However, few studies have attempted to quantify the outcomes from the adoption of person-centered nursing. The lack of outcome measurement is in part influenced by the lack of a standardized instrument to measure person-centered nursing...
- An evaluation of the role of the clinical education facilitatorBrendan McCormack
School of Nursing, University of Ulster Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, UK
J Clin Nurs 15:135-44. 2006..The objective of the study was to identify whether clinical education facilitators made a difference to the learning experiences of nurses in a large teaching hospital...
- A conceptual framework for person-centred practice with older peopleBrendan McCormack
University of Ulster, Jordanstown and Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Int J Nurs Pract 9:202-9. 2003..The factors that enable person-centredness to operate in practice are identified as the patient's values, the nurse's values and the context of the care environment. Considerations for implementing the model in practice are highlighted...
- Practice development: realising active learning for sustainable changeBrendan McCormack
School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Northern Ireland
Contemp Nurse 32:92-104. 2009....
- An exploration of the factor structure of the nursing work indexPaul Slater
School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Jordanstown and Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 4:30-9. 2007..Within the NWI-R a four-factor model has been reported as being important in determining good organisational context, yet researchers have recently questioned the stability of the four-factor structure...
- Determining older people's needs for care by Registered Nurses: the Nursing Needs Assessment ToolPaul Slater
School of Nursing, University of Ulster, Belfast, UK
J Adv Nurs 52:601-8. 2005....
- Development of a model of situational leadership in residential care for older peopleBrighide M Lynch
HSE Dublin North East, Primary, Community and Continuing Care Services, Dundalk, County Louth, UK
J Nurs Manag 19:1058-69. 2011..The aim of the present study was to present the process used to develop a composite model of situational leadership enacted within a person-centred nursing framework in residential care...
- The characteristics, qualities and skills of practice developersBrendan McCormack
University of Ulster, Jordanstown, UK
J Clin Nurs 12:317-25. 2003..Four role functions are presented in the paper, as well as qualities and skills needed to operationalize the identified role functions. A clear picture of the skills and qualities required by practice developers emerges from the data...
- Testing of the factor structure of the nursing work index-revisedPaul Slater
Institute of Nursing Research, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Co Antrim, Northern Ireland
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 7:123-34. 2010....
- Using the caring dimensions inventory as an indicator of person-centred nursingTanya McCance
Belfast Trust, Nursing R and D, University of Ulster, Belfast, UK
J Clin Nurs 18:409-17. 2009..This paper reports findings from a large-scale quasi-experimental study that used a measure of caring as a means of evaluating person-centred nursing and aims to illustrate the synergy between the concepts of caring and person-centredness...
- Supernumerary status: definition, operationalisation and its effect in practiceBrian McGowan
University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Newtownabbey, UK
Intensive Crit Care Nurs 19:308-17. 2003..However, whilst making a positive contribution to the recruitment and development of nurses new to the intensive care environment, further study is required to gauge the long-term effect of this programme on retention of staff...
- Integrated care for older people: methodological issues in conducting a systematic literature reviewJan Reed
Centre for Care of Older People, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 4:78-85. 2007..The review was conducted as one strand of a research project aiming to inform the development of locality-based integrated care for older people in Northern Ireland, a development driven by observations of user needs...
- Opening doors of perception. Creativity, learning and developing practiceBrendan McCormack
Nursing Research and Practice Development, University of Ulster Hospital Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Br J Perioper Nurs 14:439-41, 443-6. 2004..The article aims to challenge issues about nurse education and explore ways in which the nursing profession can move debates about the values underpinning the preparation of undergraduate nurses...
- An exploration of the factors that influence the implementation of evidence into practiceJo Rycroft-Malone
Royal College of Nursing Institute, Oxford, UK
J Clin Nurs 13:913-24. 2004..This study sets out to scrutinize the elements of the framework through empirical enquiry...
- Re-defining nursing expertise in the United kingdomSally Hardy
Nursing and Midwifery Research Unit, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of East Anglia, Norwich, London
Nurs Sci Q 19:260-4. 2006..The Expertise in Practice Project demonstrates that nurses affect change and facilitate performance and organizational development...
- Determining factors that have an impact upon effective evidence-based pain management with older people, following colorectal surgery: an ethnographic studyDonna Brown
Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, UK
J Clin Nurs 15:1287-98. 2006..The aim of this project was to examine pain management practices with older people admitted to the colorectal unit of an acute hospital trust...
- Person-centredness in gerontological nursing: an overview of the literatureBrendan McCormack
University of Ulster and Director of Nursing Research and Practice Development, Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, UK
J Clin Nurs 13:31-8. 2004..There is a need for further research and development work in gerontological nursing to distinguish between person-centred practice and good quality care for older people...
- Developing practice: individual and organisational responsibilitiesBrendan McCormack
Aust J Adv Nurs 20:6-7. 2002
- Development of a framework for person-centred nursingBrendan McCormack
Professor of Nursing Research Director of Nursing Research and Practice Development, University of Ulster and Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland
J Adv Nurs 56:472-9. 2006..This paper presents the development and content of a person-centred nursing framework...
- Practice development: purpose, methodology, facilitation and evaluationKim Manley
Royal College of Nursing Institute, Royal College of Nursing, 20 Cavendish Square, London W1M 0RN
Nurs Crit Care 8:22-9. 2003..Emancipatory practice development underpinned by critical social science is argued as synonymous to emancipatory action research...
- Getting evidence into practice: ingredients for changeJo Rycroft-Malone
Institute, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford
Nurs Stand 16:38-43. 2002..A framework has been developed to represent these factors. For those about to embark on implementation work, this article closes by highlighting a number of key questions for consideration, stimulated by the framework...
- Getting evidence into practice: the role and function of facilitationGill Harvey
Quality Improvement Programme, RCN Institute, Oxford, UK
J Adv Nurs 37:577-88. 2002..This paper presents the findings of a concept analysis of facilitation in relation to successful implementation of evidence into practice...
- What counts as evidence in evidence-based practice?Jo Rycroft-Malone
Royal College of Nursing Institute, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, Oxfordshire, UK
J Adv Nurs 47:81-90. 2004....
- Developing a qualitative approach to 360-degree feedback to aid understanding and development of clinical expertiseRobert Garbett
Nursing Development Centre, University of Ulster and Royal Hospitals Trust, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, UK
J Nurs Manag 15:342-7. 2007..Part of the process consisted of the exploration, critique and refinement of qualitative 360-degree feedback as a tool for peer review...
- Editorial: the involvement of service users in care, services and policy - comments and implications for nursing developmentJan Reed
J Clin Nurs 14:41-2. 2005
- Hearing voices? Don't be afraidBrendan McCormack
Nurs Older People 17:3. 2005
- Developing postoperative pain management: utilising the promoting action on research implementation in health services (PARIHS) frameworkDonna Brown
Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, UK
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 2:131-41. 2005..However, research evidence into pain management would suggest that this is not the case...
- Critical realism as emancipatory action: the case for realistic evaluation in practice developmentValerie Wilson
Nursing Research and Practice Development Unit, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, NSW, Australia
Nurs Philos 7:45-57. 2006....
- Incontinence: assessment, diagnosis, and management in two rehabilitation units for older peopleAlice Coffey
School of Nursing and Midwifery, University College Cork, Republic of Ireland
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 4:179-86. 2007..Current approaches to continence care indicate an emphasis on safety and reduction of risk, rather than on detailed individualised assessment and management...
- Getting evidence into practice: the meaning of 'context'Brendan McCormack
University of Ulster Royal Hospitals Trust, Belfast, UK
J Adv Nurs 38:94-104. 2002..This paper presents the findings of a concept analysis of 'context' in relation to the successful implementation of evidence into practice...