Martin Cj Maiden
Affiliation: University of Oxford
- Bennett J, Bentley S, Vernikos G, Quail M, Cherevach I, White B, et al. Independent evolution of the core and accessory gene sets in the genus Neisseria: insights gained from the genome of Neisseria lactamica isolate 020-06. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:652 pubmed publisher..It is not possible to define a 'pathogenome' for this group of organisms and the disease causing phenotypes are therefore likely to be complex, polygenic, and different among the various disease-associated phenotypes observed. ..
- Bennett J, Jolley K, Sparling P, Saunders N, Hart C, Feavers I, et al. Species status of Neisseria gonorrhoeae: evolutionary and epidemiological inferences from multilocus sequence typing. BMC Biol. 2007;5:35 pubmed..Here, the same seven locus Neisseria scheme was used to characterize a diverse collection of N. gonorrhoeae isolates to investigate whether this method would allow differentiation among isolates, and to distinguish these three species...
- Maiden M. The impact of protein-conjugate polysaccharide vaccines: an endgame for meningitis?. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2013;368:20120147 pubmed publisher..To date there is little evidence for the spread of virulent vaccine escape variants of the meningococcus and H. influenzae, although this has been reported in pneumococci. ..
- Brehony C, Rodrigues C, Borrow R, Smith A, Cunney R, Moxon E, et al. Distribution of BexseroÂ® Antigen Sequence Types (BASTs) in invasive meningococcal disease isolates: Implications for immunisation. Vaccine. 2016;34:4690-4697 pubmed publisher..1%, based on genotype-phenotype modelling for 63.7% of serogroup B isolates from 2010/14 in UK and Ireland. While there are many caveats to this estimate, it lies within the range of other published estimates. ..
- Maiden M, Frosch M. Can we, should we, eradicate the meningococcus?. Vaccine. 2012;30 Suppl 2:B52-6 pubmed publisher..On balance, the control and possible elimination of disease caused by particular disease-associated meningococcal genotypes is a more achievable and worthwhile goal. ..
- Maiden M. Population genomics: diversity and virulence in the Neisseria. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2008;11:467-71 pubmed publisher..These are generic approaches and their application to the Neisseria provides a foretaste for their application to the wider bacterial world...
- Maiden M, Ibarz Pavón A, Urwin R, Gray S, Andrews N, Clarke S, et al. Impact of meningococcal serogroup C conjugate vaccines on carriage and herd immunity. J Infect Dis. 2008;197:737-43 pubmed publisher..The impact of this intervention on asymptomatic carriage of meningococci was investigated to establish whether serogroup replacement or protection by herd immunity occurred...