R A Lawrenson
Affiliation: University of Surrey
- Patterns of contraception in UK women with Type 1 diabetes mellitus: a GP database studyR A Lawrenson
European Institute of Health and Medical Sciences, Guildford, Surrey, UK
Diabet Med 16:395-9. 1999..To establish the patterns of contraceptive prescribing for women aged 15-49 with Type 1 diabetes mellitus (DM) and compare them with the patterns in women without diabetes...
- The treatment of depression in UK general practice: selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and tricyclic antidepressants comparedR A Lawrenson
European Institute of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Surrey, Surrey GU2 5RF, Guildford, UK
J Affect Disord 59:149-57. 2000..Controversy exists as to the effectiveness in everyday use of the older tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) when compared to the newer selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)...
- Liver damage associated with minocycline use in acne: a systematic review of the published literature and pharmacovigilance dataR A Lawrenson
Primary Care Research Unit, Postgraduate Medical School, University of Surrey, Guildford, England
Drug Saf 23:333-49. 2000..Concern has been expressed over the possibility of severe adverse reactions to minocycline, including hepatitis. This study set out to identify and characterise reported cases of hepatotoxicity associated with the use of minocycline...
- A UK general practice database study of prevalence and mortality of people with neural tube defectsR Lawrenson
European Institute of Health and Medical Sciences, Guildord, Surrey, UK
Clin Rehabil 14:627-30. 2000..To investigate the prevalence of neural tube defects (NTDs) in the UK and to compare the mortality rate with that of the general population...
- PIXI bone density screening for osteoporosis in postmenopausal womenRoss Lawrenson
Postgraduate Medical School, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, UK
Maturitas 53:245-51. 2006..A secondary aim was to assess the validity of peripheral instantaneous X-ray imager (PIXI) scanning against dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) in women identified as having osteopenia...
- Renal failure in patients with neurogenic lower urinary tract dysfunctionR Lawrenson
Postgraduate Medical School, University of Surrey, Stirling House, Guildford, Surrey, UK
Neuroepidemiology 20:138-43. 2001..We recommend that all three patient groups should be regularly screened so that renal impairment may be detected prior to the development of renal failure...
- Antibiotic failure in the treatment of urinary tract infections in young womenR A Lawrenson
Postgraduate Medical School, University of Surrey, Stirling House, Surrey Research Park, Guildford GU2 7DJ, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 48:895-901. 2001....
- Medical practice in New Zealand 1769-1860Ross Lawrenson
Professor of Primary Health Care at the Postgraduate Medical School University of Surrey Stirling House, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7DJ, UK
Vesalius 10:4-9. 2004..This paper describes the pattern of medical settlement in the colony's earliest years and relates this to the health of the population and the development of medical and hospital services...
- Sir James Mouat, VC KCB FRCS (1815-1899): winner of the first medical Victoria CrossRoss Lawrenson
Postgraduate Medical School University of Surrey, Stirling House, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7DJ, UK
J Med Biogr 12:196-201. 2004..Surgeon General Mouat retired on 28 April 1876. He was appointed an honorary surgeon to the Queen in 1888, and a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath in 1894. He died of a stroke on 4 January 1899 at the age of 83...
- Risk of myocardial infarction in men and women with type 2 diabetes in the UK: a cohort study using the General Practice Research DatabaseH E Mulnier
Postgraduate Medical School, University of Surrey, Daphne Jackson Road, Manor Park, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7WG, UK
Diabetologia 51:1639-45. 2008..Our secondary aim was to investigate how the MI risk associated with diabetes differs between men and women...
- Risk of stroke in people with type 2 diabetes in the UK: a study using the General Practice Research DatabaseH E Mulnier
Department of Pharmacoepidemiology, Postgraduate Medical School, University of Surrey, Daphne Jackson Road, Manor Park, Guildford, Surrey, UK
Diabetologia 49:2859-65. 2006..Risk estimates for stroke in patients with diabetes vary. We sought to obtain reliable risk estimates for stroke and the association with diabetes, comorbidity and lifestyle in a large cohort of type 2 diabetic patients in the UK...
- Venous thromboembolism in pregnancy and the puerperium: incidence and additional risk factors from a London perinatal databaseE L Simpson
Postgraduate Medical School, Guildford, Surrey, UK
BJOG 108:56-60. 2001..Antenatally multiple birth is an important risk factor. Postnatally women who have had a caesarean section, premature delivery or history of cardiac disease should be assessed carefully for venous thromboembolism...
- Mortality in people with type 2 diabetes in the UKH E Mulnier
Postgraduate Medical School, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK
Diabet Med 23:516-21. 2006..The relative risk decreases with age. In people with Type 2 diabetes, obesity and smoking both contribute to the risk of all-cause mortality, supporting doctrines to stop smoking and lose weight...
- Hormonal contraception in women with diabetes mellitus: special considerationsJill Shawe
Post Graduate Medical School, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK
Treat Endocrinol 2:321-30. 2003..Research on hormonal contraception has been carried out in healthy populations; more studies are needed in women with diabetes and women who have increased risks of cardiovascular disease...
- The use of amino-terminal fraction brain natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) assays in general practices in Waikato, New ZealandVeronique Gibbons
Waikato Clinical School, Peter Rothwell Academic Centre, Waikato Hospital, Hamilton, Waikato
N Z Med J 120:U2555. 2007..To assess the use of the amino-terminal fraction brain natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) assay in the management of patients with suspected heart failure in general practice in Waikato District Health Board (DHB)...
- Glycaemic control and antibody status among patients with newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetesDoron Hickey
University of Auckland, Auckland
N Z Med J 120:U2732. 2007..To compare the risk of admission to hospital and poor glycaemic control by antibody status among newly diagnosed patients with type 1 diabetes in the Waikato Province of New Zealand...
- Frederic John Mouat (1816-97), MD FRCS LLD of the Indian Medical ServiceRoss Lawrenson
Waikato Clinical School, Peter Rothwell Academic Centre, Waikato Hospital, Private Bag, Hamilton 3024, New Zealand
J Med Biogr 15:201-5. 2007..Then he started a new career as an Inspector for the Local Government Board. He was also an active member of the Royal Statistical Society, becoming its President in 1890. He died in 1897 leaving a widow and four stepchildren...
- Women with breast cancer in Aotearoa New Zealand: the effect of urban versus rural residence on stage at diagnosis and survivalHayley Bennett
Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine, Hamilton
N Z Med J 120:U2831. 2007..To investigate the effect of urban versus rural residence on stage at diagnosis and survival for women with breast cancer in Aotearoa New Zealand...